University of Washington

Wow! That seems super late. I did apply there and really appreciate you passing on that information. Good luck on your applications!

Not too late. UNLV's app deadline is still 3 weeks away (2/15).

That makes sense because I received an email from them only last week indicating that my app wasn't complete due to missing GRE scores -- all was fixed though. I had this problem with other schools bc my last name is 2 words and ETS does not allow spaces, so it does not match my application information. Luckily, I had all evidence it was sent in back in October -- whew.

Mine hasn't. I'm about to the point of contacting them, but if other people also are lacking updates, I guess it just means they're still processing stuff?

Last year the material received status never changed. Really no cause for alarm.

I contacted UW last week because my status had not been updated - they replied back almost immediately with a very polite email stating that they had everything in my file, and that most applicants could expect decisions in mid March. My status still hasn't changed, but I suppose they are super busy . . . I'm going to try not to think about it anymore until March!

Has the materials received/online status been updated for anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many applicants Washington usually accepts and how many applications they usually receive? I know this can vary by year. But an estimate would be much appreciated.

I also contacted the department last week, and they had received all of my materials. I guess they just don't bother with the online checklist, although I wish they'd tell us that! I was sweating over the packet I sent them for days.

Does anyone know how many applicants Washington usually accepts and how many applications they usually receive? I know this can vary by year. But an estimate would be much appreciated.

This is a rough guesstimate, but last year the program received around 500 applications and made 10 or so offers.

Looks like we really will not be hearing until March sometime. I e-mailed the Program Coordinator, and she confirmed this yet again. (I have already asked her this question once, I believe.)

This is a rough guesstimate, but last year the program received around 500 applications and made 10 or so offers.

There's a rejection posted on the results board. Firstly, condolences and good luck elsewhere. Next, did they include any info about number of applicants, number accepted, how they're notifying, etc.? I haven't heard anything from them. . .

There's a rejection posted on the results board. Firstly, condolences and good luck elsewhere. Next, did they include any info about number of applicants, number accepted, how they're notifying, etc.? I haven't heard anything from them. . .

Here's the email:

Thank you for your application to the University of Washington Graduate School. Your file has been carefully reviewed by the graduate admissions committee in the English Language and Literature (PhD) program.

Unfortunately, the committee has decided not to recommend your admission and I concur with this decision. The number and quality of graduate applicants to the University of Washington are extraordinary and these difficult decisions are reached through careful consideration of all applicants to a given program. In many cases, enrollment restrictions are also a factor, limiting our ability to accept all qualified applicants.

If you have questions regarding the reasons for this decision, they should be directed to the graduate program.

I realize that this outcome is disappointing, but I do thank you for the time and effort you invested into applying to a graduate program at the UW, as I recognize that expenditures of money and time to do so can be considerable. I wish you well in your future educational endeavors.

Sincerely,

Gerald J. Baldasty

Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School

University of Washington

Note: this email has been sent from an automated email address. If you would like further information concerning this decision, please contact the graduate program office to which you applied.

Last year they sporadically emailed both acceptances and rejections from this time last year until the end of March. I received my rejection March 28th or something like that. It's a painful, drawn-out process, but it is what it is.

Edited by BillyPilgrim

Is it just me, or does this letter seem unnecessarily awkward? Who writes stuff like this: "Unfortunately, the committee has decided not to recommend your admission and I concur with this decision." Or even this: "I realize that this outcome is disappointing, but I do thank you for the time and effort you invested into applying to a graduate program at the UW, as I recognize that expenditures of money and time to do so can be considerable."

Harsh email. But I think it includes the 'I agree with this decision' part so people don't bombard him asking 'ok adcomm doesn't approve, but do you?' With a pool of 500 applicants, there are bound to be people calling trying to sway the decision back to their favor. Sorry about the rejection, good luck with ur other apps.

Anyone else apply to the MA program this year? I'm waiting on that.

I applied to the MA at Washington and the MA at UF (I saw that you made a lot of comments on the UF thread). Looks like we're both in the same boat. I would be ecstatic if I got into UW's MA program. I went to UF for undergrad, and so I am hoping to be able to get out of Gainesville (it's a great town, but i've been here for about five years and need a change of scenery).

Also, I saw that someone posted a rejection from UW's MA program. Wondering if I'll be hearing some news from them this week.