University of Washington

Ugh. . . So right there with you. I've got UW and CU Boulder, but Boulder is notifying by snail mail and to be honest, I'll probably decline an offer from them anyway at this point. UW, though, is still very much in play for me. So just want this waiting business to be over!

I know what you mean. You've had an amazing application season, though (I'm pretty pleased with how I've done, too) so there's that.

I also have one good acceptance and then a good yet unfunded master's offer from a Ph.D. (apparently, I was a paragraph away from being accepted to that Ph.D.) And I have five schools left to hear from. I will be happy going to the funded offer, if that is what happens. But I need to know first what my options are.... Hope all five come next week.

I really want to know how one is a paragraph away from a PhD acceptance. Please do elaborate if you can!

I would be glad to elaborate without directly mentioning the school or the person I spoke to, if that's okay.... I'm a little paranoid about who comes on these forums.

The person I spoke from the school I was considered at but then ultimately rejected from and offered an MA went through the committee's evaluation of my entire file with me. The committee apparently thought everything was excellent, except they wished I would have had a paragraph about who I would want to work with at the school in my personal statement (which they thought was excellent except for that missing paragraph). Essentially, this is what it comes down to. The person I spoke to said that things like that are the only way they can really make decisions sometimes.

In this line of thought, I was actually recommended NOT to write about professors I hoped to work with. From the people I've talked to about that, I gather there is a very split opinion on whether your personal statement should be: (1) well, personal historical, (2) intellectual/academic, (4) personal historical and school-directed, (5) academic and school-directed, or (6) personal historical, academic/research oriented, and school-directed..... Based off of the diverse opinions on this matter, even with the person's evaluation of my file, I still don't know if I should have really done that in my personal statement. I had several professors read it, and they thought it should stay as it was.

I know what you mean. You've had an amazing application season, though (I'm pretty pleased with how I've done, too) so there's that.

I really want to know how one is a paragraph away from a PhD acceptance. Please do elaborate if you can!

Edited by cicada123

Thanks Chris 83 :) I'm on my phone so can't see signatures but seem to recall you've done quite well yourself :) so congrats to you too!

On the fit paragraph business, I was mixed about that as well. I did include a fit paragraph in most of my SOPs (only schools with a 500 word limit didn't so Madison and Kansas and I went 1-1 for those, but my fit with Madison was NOT great anyway). As my sig indicates, I've gotten some nice state school love, which I realy appreciate, but my reach/dream schools were having none of it (Stanford, Harvard, UC, Duke, Brown. . . Though Duke said I was close). Anywho, a guy in my MA program got waitlisted at UPenn and accepted at Brown and Cornell without a fit paragraph. Based on this sample size of two (so legit, I know ;) I think private fancy schools care less about those fit paragraphs than state schools. Yes, this statement is ludicrous and highly subjective, like this app process, so I think it really just depends on what you want to do and feel comfortable doing in your SOP.

Who knows, though, perhaps not so ludicrous--the school that rejected me without the fit paragraph was a state school and my funded offer from a private school. Go figure.

Thanks Chris 83 :) I'm on my phone so can't see signatures but seem to recall you've done quite well yourself :) so congrats to you too!

On the fit paragraph business, I was mixed about that as well. I did include a fit paragraph in most of my SOPs (only schools with a 500 word limit didn't so Madison and Kansas and I went 1-1 for those, but my fit with Madison was NOT great anyway). As my sig indicates, I've gotten some nice state school love, which I realy appreciate, but my reach/dream schools were having none of it (Stanford, Harvard, UC, Duke, Brown. . . Though Duke said I was close). Anywho, a guy in my MA program got waitlisted at UPenn and accepted at Brown and Cornell without a fit paragraph. Based on this sample size of two (so legit, I know ;) I think private fancy schools care less about those fit paragraphs than state schools. Yes, this statement is ludicrous and highly subjective, like this app process, so I think it really just depends on what you want to do and feel comfortable doing in your SOP.

Thanks! I agree-- these recommendations on what to include in SOP's seem very subjective.

I was advised not to mention names but to craft my SOP so that I used key phrases that lined up with department strengths. That's what I did in the three SOP's for the schools I was accepted to. (I thought that was better because I didn't have to worry about leaving somebody out who might be doing work that would match with what I wanted to do.) I guess it worked for me, but I am only applying to state schools, so...who knows.

Cicada123, I'm glad you have a nice offer elsewhere, at least!

Who knows. . . I feel like my fancy reach schools were probably also influenced by my age (28) and time out of school (graduated from MA in 2008). I really think it's largely a crapshoot when you get to the 600+ apps for 10 spots business, though I have no evidence for this claim.

Does Washington ever fund MA students? I think I've heard that they don't and I'm wondering if I should just forget about them. I'd love to go to UW but I can't do it without funding. Anyone know?

Hey Woolfie, I was told in the Fall that MA students rarely receive funding during their first year, but that sometimes funding becomes available during the second year. However, they stressed that there is no exact rule or formula, and it is more a case by case basis. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Hey Woolfie, I was told in the Fall that MA students rarely receive funding during their first year, but that sometimes funding becomes available during the second year. However, they stressed that there is no exact rule or formula, and it is more a case by case basis. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Bleh. That's what I thought. I should have applied to the phd program. Though that would have been even more of a long shot. I want to live in Seattle!

Bleh. That's what I thought. I should have applied to the phd program. Though that would have been even more of a long shot. I want to live in Seattle!

Don't beat up yourself over it - I was also told that applicants without an MA are only offered admission to their MA program - you cannot apply directly to their PhD program.

Don't beat up yourself over it - I was also told that applicants without an MA are only offered admission to their MA program - you cannot apply directly to their PhD program.

Heck, I wish I'd known this in advance. I applied straight to the Ph.D. program, sans M.A. I must have missed this on the website (which I found difficult to navigate). Ah well. Life goes on. :)

Heck, I wish I'd known this in advance. I applied straight to the Ph.D. program, sans M.A. I must have missed this on the website (which I found difficult to navigate). Ah well. Life goes on. :)

I couldn't find the information on the site so I e-mailed to ask. While my question was answered they made some sort of comment like "please see website for information before e-mailing questions." But... it's not there. Along with other important information - like when you click on more information for their cultural theory concentration, it says "we're not sure what you're looking for here." (Yeah, very ironic.)

But I'm sure they must receive apps straight to PhD program all the time, and most likely just send them to the MA program - that's my guess at least.

What? I never saw anything about this on their website.

They say - "The Ph.D. program may be completed within five years of the B.A., generally within three years of the M.A., or within four years for those entering with an M.A. from another school."

Doesn't this imply you can apply to the Ph.D. without an MA? Now that I think about it, I may be misreading it. But there is no information on the website about this, therefore, I assumed there weren't specific restrictions. I applied without an MA last year, and again this year (still waiting). Would they completely ignore the fact that I am wasting my time and money applying to a program I can't even get into? What the hell.

I couldn't find the information on the site so I e-mailed to ask. While my question was answered they made some sort of comment like "please see website for information before e-mailing questions." But... it's not there. Along with other important information - like when you click on more information for their cultural theory concentration, it says "we're not sure what you're looking for here." (Yeah, very ironic.)

But I'm sure they must receive apps straight to PhD program all the time, and most likely just send them to the MA program - that's my guess at least.

Are you serious? I believe it is time for me to send a strongly worded email or something...

That's exactly the response I received when I e-mailed with a different query (also not on the website), hence why I took a shot in the dark concerning M.A. vs. Ph.D. programs instead of contacting UW again. Also, I certainly hope they defer stray Ph.D. applications like mine to the M.A. program rather than tossing them out. :(

Edited by ecg1810

What? I never saw anything about this on their website.

They say - "The Ph.D. program may be completed within five years of the B.A., generally within three years of the M.A., or within four years for those entering with an M.A. from another school."

Doesn't this imply you can apply to the Ph.D. without an MA? Now that I think about it, I may be misreading it. But there is no information on the website about this, therefore, I assumed there weren't specific restrictions. I applied without an MA last year, and again this year (still waiting). Would they completely ignore the fact that I am wasting my time and money applying to a program I can't even get into? What the hell.

That's how I interpreted this wording too, stesha123--but for some reason (it's too long ago for me to remember specifics) I still felt dubious.

And I'm with you on sending a strongly worded e-mail. . . especially after that eloquent rejection letter. I swear I don't have sour grapes--really--I just don't appreciate this all-around lack of diplomacy.

Edited by ecg1810

I also found the website highly unsatisfying. It lacked information, was ambiguous, and generally struck me as unfriendly. . .I hope that all you BA only folks get referred to the MA. I'm pretty sure that they will do that, though. Good luck and I REALLY HOPE WE HEAR BACK SOON!!!!!!

That's exactly the response I received when I e-mailed with a different query (also not on the website), hence why I took a shot in the dark concerning M.A. vs. Ph.D. programs instead of contacting UW again. And I certainly hope they defer stray Ph.D. applications like mine to the M.A. program rather than tossing them out. :(

After directing me to their website for "more information," this is the response I received in the Fall. Now that I look at it, it does seem kind of ambiguous in terms what program to apply to,

"Our MA/Phd program is structured as such that students holding a BA must enter at the MA level first. Assuming satisfactory progress is made, MA students move internally onto the PhD program once the MA is earned. Candidates are chosen with full confidence that they can proceed to the PhD level, and since we are a fully integrated program the transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive.If you hold a BA degree, please apply for the MA."

After directing me to their website for "more information," this is the response I received in the Fall. Now that I look at it, it does seem kind of ambiguous in terms what program to apply to,

"Our MA/Phd program is structured as such that students holding a BA must enter at the MA level first. Assuming satisfactory progress is made, MA students move internally onto the PhD program once the MA is earned. Candidates are chosen with full confidence that they can proceed to the PhD level, and since we are a fully integrated program the transition from MA to PhD is internal and non-competitive.If you hold a BA degree, please apply for the MA."

You would think all of these repeated queries might make them wonder if someone needs to reword and/or add information to the website--especially since this seems to directly contradict what's currently posted.

That doesn't make any sense. Is it like Madison-Wisconsin - they understand you are applying to the PhD, but, if you don't have an MA they tell you to pick the MA option when applying. Is that what they mean?

At this point I wouldn't mind doing more MA work as long as I knew I was on a good track to the PhD, which, makes logical sense to me. But if their MA and PhD degrees are indeed separate, and should be applied for separately and under different circumstances, then why make the assumption that students would definitely be moving on to the PhD? Can't be both...

Edited by stesha123

Yeah, that's not on the website at all. If someone gave you sass about emailing them and not reading the website, that's just dumb. I love UWs program for what I know about it, but that kind of stuff leaves a bad taste in my mouth about their organization. Though big state schools just sometimes are like that...

Can I jump on the UW frustration bandwagon and say how frustrating I found the fact that they were the ONLY school who didn't do electronic LORs, and wanted you to send them your official transcripts yourself? Also, the international post lost three of my application packets, and the two other schools were super nice about letting me just email them the missing documents, but UW made me mail them all the originals again, including new transcripts!

I'm sure they have a rhyme and reason for all of this, I just could have done without the stress.

Yeah, the bureocracy seems pretty ridiculous. I'm sure they're great once you're in, but I've definitely been annoyed at the hoops. . and that they still haven't notified. . .

Edited to add I meant the general "you" not that I assume I'll get in or anything like that. Didn't mean to sound arrogant or anything.

Edited by lyonessrampant

UW admit posted. Congrats! Any info to share? I'm getting pretty attached to Minnesota at this point and am not a great fit for UW (they have, like, NO faculty working primarily on early modern poetry) but I just want to know already so I can start finalizing things. Congrats again!