University of Washington

UW admit posted. Congrats! Any info to share? I'm getting pretty attached to Minnesota at this point and am not a great fit for UW (they have, like, NO faculty working primarily on early modern poetry) but I just want to know already so I can start finalizing things. Congrats again!

I'd like to know soon, too, just to rule out another visit weekend or wait-list. Things are getting complicated and I want decisions to be made!

p.s.- Lyoness, did you cross out Kansas just because you've decided not to go there?

Yeah, I notified them already. The other three I've been accepted to are in play still. Have you heard back from UTA at all yet?

Nope. I'm planning to call them towards the end of the week about my other offers; depending whether I get in anywhere besides Carnegie Mellon, I'll probably remain on their list for as long as I can.

Edited by tortola23

To the admit: Was it a form rejection?

I was told that I was a hair away from getting into CUNY.

So, I'm kind of crossing my fingers for this one.

Edited by cicada123

Rargl! To the infinity power!!!! Both because we haven't heard from any admits (a courtesy I know, no insult to any of you :) BUT most importantly to the department. TELL US IF WE'RE REJECTED!!!! I just want to know. That's all.

I feel your pain. I'm going to need to make some decisions soon. But I was told maybe not until next week. How does one learn patience in a situation like this? I'm imagining my life in three different parts of the country.... It's making me anxious. If I'm leaving for Providence in June, I need to start making some living arrangements.

Rargl! To the infinity power!!!! Both because we haven't heard from any admits (a courtesy I know, no insult to any of you :) BUT most importantly to the department. TELL US IF WE'RE REJECTED!!!! I just want to know. That's all.

Edited by cicada123

I emailed about the MA/PhD confusion, and what I gather is that they SORT OF have a joint MA-PhD where if you are in the MA you are expected to continue on. But if you have an MA you can start at the PhD level and apply directly. I was told my application (originally directed toward PhD) will be reviewed with the MA candidates. And, I'm picking up on this board that programs tend to review PhD apps. first?

On one hand it's great to be notified via email rather than snail, but, I have to say, I definitely did not need anything to prompt me to become more obsessed about checking my inbox, ha.

Edited by Germaine123

Hello. I am the UW-Seattle admit.

I found out kinda second-hand, as the Grad School emailed me to let me know that the English department had recommended me for admission, and that I needed to send in some more materials (student visa stuff, as I am Canadian) to complete my application.

I phoned the English department to confirm my admission, and thankfully they did confirm that I had been admitted to the PhD program for the Fall.

I asked about funding (decisions still to be made) and visitation (there is no official visitation period, but admits are welcome to travel to Seattle and visit on there own accord).

I also found out that an official letter and email should be arriving soon (the email, from what I understand, very soon).

I have four other offers, but I am really hoping I get funding as UW-Seattle is my top choice!

Also, my fields are postcolonial literature/globalization & critical theory/psychoanalysis.

Good luck to the other UW-Seattle applicants!

Congrats on the admit and thanks for sharing! It sounds like they'll be sending out most of the first round offers later once they figure out funding. Good luck to all of us waiting and best of luck on funding!

I found out kinda second-hand, as the Grad School emailed me to let me know that the English department had recommended me for admission, and that I needed to send in some more materials (student visa stuff, as I am Canadian) to complete my application.

I phoned the English department to confirm my admission, and thankfully they did confirm that I had been admitted to the PhD program for the Fall.

I asked about funding (decisions still to be made) and visitation (there is no official visitation period, but admits are welcome to travel to Seattle and visit on there own accord).

I also found out that an official letter and email should be arriving soon (the email, from what I understand, very soon).

I have four other offers, but I am really hoping I get funding as UW-Seattle is my top choice!

Also, my fields are postcolonial literature/globalization & critical theory/psychoanalysis.

Thank you very much for this update.

Yes, thanks so much for the update, and congrats!

And no, lyoness I'm not the admit, clearly, haha. I actually changed my username (formerly Stesha123). Maybe now I'm like the P-Diddy [or whatever his name is] of GradCafe...

Yes, thanks so much for the update, and congrats!

And no, lyoness I'm not the admit, clearly, haha. I actually changed my username (formerly Stesha123). Maybe now I'm like the P-Diddy [or whatever his name is] of GradCafe...

You're not the first. I was on here two years ago (Titus Andronicus), but I couldn't remember my password. Hence, I changed characters (I figure with Shakespeare's character catalogue, I can forget my password a few more times before I need to worry!)

Okay, so, I emailed again today, which was probably too much. Anyway, the e-mail said something about them e-mailing decisions "daily." Don't know quite how this can be possible.

Edited by cicada123

You're not the first. I was on here two years ago (Titus Andronicus), but I couldn't remember my password. Hence, I changed characters (I figure with Shakespeare's character catalogue, I can forget my password a few more times before I need to worry!)

Haha, I wonder if on GradCafe there is this weird underlying pressure (especially for the writers among us) to create a clever, pun-induced, lit-related user name. So far I've been really impressed by everyone's ingenuity and one word lit references, haha... I chose "Germaine" because it even though I hate the word itself (I had a teacher a long time ago that used to say it at every available opportunity), it reminds me of Flight of the Concords. Anyway I feel like there's a specific thread for conversations like these. Meanwhile, has anybody heard from UW?! Not I. Ha.

I love everyone's literary and sophisticated handles too. Mine refers to my favorite YA lit book series. Yes, that's how mature and awesome I am ;) I haven't heard anything from UW either. There's a rejection posted today (sorry!), and I just got an email that an article I submitted was accepted for publication, so I'm taking this as a portent of good things . . . Dear portent, please bring good things! Sincerely, anxious applicant/supplicant begging at the feet of the grad gods.

I love everyone's literary and sophisticated handles too. Mine refers to my favorite YA lit book series. Yes, that's how mature and awesome I am ;) I haven't heard anything from UW either. There's a rejection posted today (sorry!), and I just got an email that an article I submitted was accepted for publication, so I'm taking this as a portent of good things . . . Dear portent, please bring good things! Sincerely, anxious applicant/supplicant begging at the feet of the grad gods.

Hugely cool! Where'd you place it!?

Thanks :)! It was accepted to Quidditas. I'm an early modernist and that's a Medieval/Renaissance specific journal. The peer-review process took FOREVER (like I literally mailed it back in September or October), so I just thought I'd share that time frame in case anyone else is thinking/in the process of review. This is my first real publication (some little ones that aren't the same field), so I'm pretty excited!!!

So far posted on results have been only rejections and the one acceptance described above, and it sounds like that one wouldn't have been notified except for extenuating circumstances. There has yet to be a wave of acceptances.