University of Washington

But, I don't get it. Don't schools evaluate the entire pool of applicants before making decisions? I can't imagine why they'd "trickle in" results unless they were doing some sort of evaluate "this many" a day thing, which, doesn't make sense to me either.

Lyoness you must be referring to the time in Washington, eh? It's so unfair that over here in NYC I have to wait until 9pm on any given day to get any sort of [barely] relief, haha. I'm sure a lot of people are experiencing the same thing.

Yep, I meant time in WA. I'm only an hour different, so that's much more merciful :) I think that they probably evaluate, make their first cut or two, notify those people, and then work their way through the rest of the pile that they've decided to keep for review. I emailed and asked if they did "waves" of acceptances or reviewed applications in bunches, making all decisions about reject, accept, wailist before moving on to the next bunch, and the grad secretary told me no. I'm not entirely sure, obviously, but I'd think that they've got to send out acceptances and waitlists soon. . . Then there might be a continuing limbo for apps that don't make it into accept or waitlist and first and don't get notified. Sigh. Just so ready to hear. . .

Yep, I meant time in WA. I'm only an hour different, so that's much more merciful :) I think that they probably evaluate, make their first cut or two, notify those people, and then work their way through the rest of the pile that they've decided to keep for review. I emailed and asked if they did "waves" of acceptances or reviewed applications in bunches, making all decisions about reject, accept, wailist before moving on to the next bunch, and the grad secretary told me no. I'm not entirely sure, obviously, but I'd think that they've got to send out acceptances and waitlists soon. . . Then there might be a continuing limbo for apps that don't make it into accept or waitlist and first and don't get notified. Sigh. Just so ready to hear. . .

Honestly, I think I'm going to give this advice and then try to follow it: I heard, simply, "March." It's best not to expect anything beyond notification during this month...especially since it's probably the school's objective to meet that goal, and that goal alone.

Hello all,

I received my admittance letter in the mail today to UW-Seattle for PhD in English beginning in Autumn.

Short and too the point. It said that there were about "465 applicants" and that it was "an extremely competitive pool of applicants".

No mention at all about funding.

According to the UW Graduate Office, funding decisions are occurring tomorrow and letters will be sent out promptly concerning those decisions.

I know I'll be doing some serious finger-crossing until I hear back.

UW-Seattle is definitely my top-choice but I am not sure I could choose it over my other acceptances if there is no funding.

So, other applicants should definitely be checking their mailboxes not emails.

Good luck!

I broke down and called today. The grad secretary told me that my file was still under review, no decision had been made, and decisions are being made daily. That department sounds very...creatively organized.

Hello all,

I received my admittance letter in the mail today to UW-Seattle for PhD in English beginning in Autumn.

Short and too the point. It said that there were about "465 applicants" and that it was "an extremely competitive pool of applicants".

According to the UW Graduate Office, funding decisions are occurring tomorrow and letters will be sent out promptly concerning those decisions.

UW-Seattle is definitely my top-choice but I am not sure I could choose it over my other acceptances if there is no funding.

Good luck!

Thanks and congratulations. What is your area of concentration?

Congrats to the acceptances posted on the results board. However, it seems a little odd to me that no Ph.D. admits have been posted. Does anyone out there have a Ph.D. admit yet? Such a weird process. . .

Thanks and congratulations. What is your area of concentration?

My interests are postcolonial literature (in the context of globalization) and critical theory, with an emphasis on psychoanalysis.

Congrats to the acceptances posted on the results board. However, it seems a little odd to me that no Ph.D. admits have been posted. Does anyone out there have a Ph.D. admit yet? Such a weird process. . .

I am a PhD admit. I was the one who posted the email admit a few days back, and I have now just today received an acceptance letter via snail mail.I am also surprised about the lack of PhD admits posed to the results section.I am hoping this means I have a strong chance at a funded offer. It seems like admission at UW-Seattle occurs in "waves", so I hope this means people who have not heard still have a good shot at gaining admission!

Edited by sivlE

Thanks for the further clarification.

I guess I don't get why they'd separate the acceptance and funding letters; seems to me that so many applicant decisions are made based upon funding that they won't get many answers without that information.

I see on the Results board that there have been [four] MA acceptances via postal service today, and another MA rejection via email yesterday.

Yet, I've heard nothing.

THIS KILLLS. AAAArgh.

Edited by Germaine123

News: Heard from my former UW professor that UW's final PhD deliberations will be today. Not sure if that means the last acceptances will go out today (or what it means for the MA program), but it looks like things are wrapping up. No more of this trickling essence of hate, yes?

News: Heard from my former UW professor that UW's final PhD deliberations will be today. Not sure if that means the last acceptances will go out today (or what it means for the MA program), but it looks like things are wrapping up. No more of this trickling essence of hate, yes?

Thanks for the info! Sorry if my essence appeared to be hateful; wasn't the reality behind the trickle, I assure you.

I caved and emailed; asked about whether a decision had been reached on my application. Haven't heard back yet. Seems like they're pretty busy over there, which, seems like a good thing.

Good luck to all those that haven't yet heard back!

I caved and emailed; asked about whether a decision had been reached on my application. Haven't heard back yet. Seems like they're pretty busy over there, which, seems like a good thing.

Good luck to all those that haven't yet heard back!

bahhh i've heard nothing, yet there seems to be a number of people who have received both acceptances and rejections from UW's MA program. In the words of the double rainbow man, "what does this mean?!"

Just received acceptance materials from Univ. of Washington-Seattle. Cloud nine.

Key note: I received no information (one way or the other) RE funding.

Best of luck to all!

Edited by Rhet Man

Hello all,

Good luck!

Congrats again RE your acceptance. Let me know if you receive notification RE funding? We're in the same boat exactly, as far I can tell.

Congratulations! I also received admittance letters yesterday - I'm beyond ecstatic. No mention of funding, though - I'm relieved to know that I wasn't the only one.

For those who are curious about how they made decisions, here's an interesting link the DGS's blog, which I didn't find until yesterday:

http://arcade.stanfo...w-narrow-enough

Good luck to everyone still waiting . . .

Just received acceptance materials from Univ. of Washington-Seattle. Cloud nine.

Key note: I received no information (one way or the other) RE funding.

Best of luck to all!

Congratulations! I also received admittance letters yesterday - I'm beyond ecstatic. No mention of funding, though - I'm relieved to know that I wasn't the only one.

For those who are curious about how they made decisions, here's an interesting link the DGS's blog, which I didn't find until yesterday:

http://arcade.stanfo...w-narrow-enough

Good luck to everyone still waiting . . .

Congratulations!

Also, thanks for the link to the blog--a nice insight into their attitude about their process. Also, now I can say with relative confidence that I am not getting in.

Congratulations!

Also, thanks for the link to the blog--a nice insight into their attitude about their process. Also, now I can say with relative confidence that I am not getting in.

For whatever it's worth, I think that my Statement of Purpose (while an excellent piece of writing for what it is) fails to meet the scope of the blog. I think I got in on other merits.