Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, LBA said:

Already posted about this, but my post wasn’t very specific. What are people’s experiences with waitlists? First time applying and the only school I’ve been waitlisted at is JHU, and wondering if people hear from faculty ? Or got a more specific email? They don’t do ranked waitlists, so I was hoping to see if getting a follow up email from faculty saying they were glad to see I stayed on the waitlist was hopeful lol😭 it is brutal out here and looking for a glimmer 

It is also my first time applying so I have limited experience in the matter, but I've been waitlisted at two schools so far. One of them was just a generic message from the dean in the portal and nothing else. I emailed the program to ask about rankings, etc but didn't get much info in response. From the other school I received a very nice personalized message from a professor before I even heard anything from the graduate school/got a portal notification. So.... idk? I think it's worth remaining hopeful either way

Posted
5 hours ago, Strawberry14 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster! I got an acceptance to UW-Madison on Saturday (thrilled is an understatement) followed by my UMich rejection Monday. Just happened to check my spam folder and saw my Arizona State rejection there from this morning so thought I'd give a heads up to check spam if you're waiting on ASU. I'm not on draft so can't really keep up there. Still have 7 to go but insanely grateful to have one acceptance in the bank. Fingers crossed for y'all ❤️

Congrats!!!! We had almost the same weekend: I got accepted to Madison, rejected by ASU and waitlisted by Michigan. We might be classmates in September!

Posted
4 hours ago, whitneyyyy said:

Im an international student, and my NC State portal still says “awaiting materials” for English proficiency. Since I graduated in US that requirement should be waived. I emailed them and they replied yesterday saying my application is under review. But ive seen some posts saying acceptances already sent out. Does this mean my application hasn’t been reviewed yet?

i'm an international who also graduated in the US and the English proficiency part has said 'waived' since i uploaded my documents in october.

I received an acceptance email yesterday, though my NC state portal still says 'under review' so maybe there's a delay in updating the portal. 

 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, goodoldneon said:

Congrats!!!! We had almost the same weekend: I got accepted to Madison, rejected by ASU and waitlisted by Michigan. We might be classmates in September!

I’ve never applied to a grad school before (at these levels) and so it’s a fun new experience for me to see these acceptances.  Congrats to you too!!

Edited by Ogwick
Posted
1 hour ago, goodoldneon said:

Congrats!!!! We had almost the same weekend: I got accepted to Madison, rejected by ASU and waitlisted by Michigan. We might be classmates in September!

Ahhh huge congrats on both Madison and UMich! I've heard Madison is very similar in vibes to Ann Arbor, though I've never been. Looking forward to visiting and checking out the city and program in person! 

1 hour ago, Ogwick said:

I’ve never applied to a grad school before (at these levels) and so it’s a fun new experience for me to see these acceptances.  Congrats to you too!!

Thank you! It's my first time as well and I'm still in disbelief. Wishing you good news from Iowa!

Posted
18 minutes ago, Strawberry14 said:

Ahhh huge congrats on both Madison and UMich! I've heard Madison is very similar in vibes to Ann Arbor, though I've never been. Looking forward to visiting and checking out the city and program in person! 

Thank you! It's my first time as well and I'm still in disbelief. Wishing you good news from Iowa!

I hope you wind up at UW-Madison / I love it there!  Grew up an hour east of there in Cheeseland. 
 

FYI - I hope you have been exposed to cold weather before you venture up to the Great White North… :)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ogwick said:

I hope you wind up at UW-Madison / I love it there!  Grew up an hour east of there in Cheeseland. 
 

FYI - I hope you have been exposed to cold weather before you venture up to the Great White North… :)

I've been hearing such good things! I'm actually from Michigan, so don't worry, the cold and I are very familiar hahaha.

Somewhat related but might be interesting to others here: one of the profs who did my reference letters told me that UMich "generally" doesn't accept MFA students from Michigan, and he said that he'd gotten that directly from Peter Ho Davies, the MFA director. Not sure how common it is for programs not to accept students from their own state, but just sharing because I thought it was odd. I applied anyway lol, so wasn't too surprised about the rejection!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Strawberry14 said:

I've been hearing such good things! I'm actually from Michigan, so don't worry, the cold and I are very familiar hahaha.

Somewhat related but might be interesting to others here: one of the profs who did my reference letters told me that UMich "generally" doesn't accept MFA students from Michigan, and he said that he'd gotten that directly from Peter Ho Davies, the MFA director. Not sure how common it is for programs not to accept students from their own state, but just sharing because I thought it was odd. I applied anyway lol, so wasn't too surprised about the rejection!

I’m a cheesehead who went to Northwestern now living in Ohio - so consider the source :) 

(Personally I’ve never gotten the whole Ohio vs Michigan thing - not like WI vs Chicago - that’s serious…)

My take on the whole “won’t take MI resident apps” - Michigan (especially at the grad level) wants to be known as a “top 5 destination uni” not a “state school”.

meaning - it’s a well known trick to move to MI for a year, claim residence, then apply for instate tuition at the undergraduate level - the cost diff is like $300k?!

That bias of “we draw everywhere and esp outside our own state” I think percolates up to the grad level too 

Just my tainted Ohio perspective…

 

 

Edited by Ogwick
Posted
3 hours ago, girlwiththegreenribbon said:

i'm an international who also graduated in the US and the English proficiency part has said 'waived' since i uploaded my documents in october.

I received an acceptance email yesterday, though my NC state portal still says 'under review' so maybe there's a delay in updating the portal. 

 

Congratulations!!! Yeah, I am just gonna wait for it:) Nothing else I can do

Posted
1 hour ago, Strawberry14 said:

I've been hearing such good things! I'm actually from Michigan, so don't worry, the cold and I are very familiar hahaha.

Somewhat related but might be interesting to others here: one of the profs who did my reference letters told me that UMich "generally" doesn't accept MFA students from Michigan, and he said that he'd gotten that directly from Peter Ho Davies, the MFA director. Not sure how common it is for programs not to accept students from their own state, but just sharing because I thought it was odd. I applied anyway lol, so wasn't too surprised about the rejection!

I went to UVA, the undergraduate creative writing program shares faculty with the MFA program there. The faculty strongly advise the undergraduate CW majors interested in an MFA to apply elsewhere for it. They say since it's the same faculty you've probably gotten all you can from them and should get fresh perspectives. 

Posted

Just finished watching the new Wuthering Heights film at the theater tonight. Eh, interesting take on Emily Bronte but I am going to stick to the definitive 2011 version honestly at this point.

Posted
3 hours ago, Strawberry14 said:

I've been hearing such good things! I'm actually from Michigan, so don't worry, the cold and I are very familiar hahaha.

Somewhat related but might be interesting to others here: one of the profs who did my reference letters told me that UMich "generally" doesn't accept MFA students from Michigan, and he said that he'd gotten that directly from Peter Ho Davies, the MFA director. Not sure how common it is for programs not to accept students from their own state, but just sharing because I thought it was odd. I applied anyway lol, so wasn't too surprised about the rejection!

how true is this for other programs? my top choice happens to be in my state 💔💔

Posted
9 hours ago, j1nju said:

I went to UVA, the undergraduate creative writing program shares faculty with the MFA program there. The faculty strongly advise the undergraduate CW majors interested in an MFA to apply elsewhere for it. They say since it's the same faculty you've probably gotten all you can from them and should get fresh perspectives. 

For sure, I know it's common for schools to recommend not applying to MFA if you attended for undergrad (sometimes they even state that they don't accept alumni on their websites), but I didn't go to UofM for undergrad so it never occurred to me that they wouldn't even take other applicants from the state!

7 hours ago, hermione granger said:

how true is this for other programs? my top choice happens to be in my state 💔💔

I truly have no idea how common this is and don't want to freak anyone out! One thing you could do is try to research the current students at your top school and see if any are from in-state. For example, I just clicked through the current students at Syracuse and found one from NYC, so I'm sure it varies a lot from program to program. ❤️

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, hermione granger said:

how true is this for other programs? my top choice happens to be in my state 💔💔

I've never really heard of the state mattering. It does matter if you are applying to a grad program at your undergraduate institution, but even then, it is highly dependent program to program. For example, my poetry professors told me they do not accept any of their own undergrads into the MFA program, but the fiction professors will. Really just depends on what the staff at each school and genre think/feel! 

I think it is generally better to go somewhere else for grad school. If you ever want to apply for college-level teaching jobs in English, it is usually preferable to have gone to two different places for undergrad and grad school to avoid academic inbreeding. I don't think it typically matters down to the state, but I could be wrong!

Edited by madsmadsmads
Posted
2 hours ago, lizard in a blizzard said:

When do we think Syracuse fiction is dropping?

Hopefully soon 😭😭😭 I'm very very pessimistic about it (and not looking forward to another rejection) but the wait is killing me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use