Ogwick Posted February 20 Posted February 20 1 hour ago, goodoldneon said: Acceptance! WashU! The entire February feels like dream. I'm so excited and very grateful. Congrats!! Excited to see these acceptances bioluminescent sloth 1
Walter Hartwell White Posted February 21 Posted February 21 Anyone else apply to Rutgers-Camden and get the email about how decisions should be in a few weeks and also encouraged you to look into the MA program or is it just me? I’m feeling like it’s a generic email but it seems oddly specific.
small-spiral-lines Posted February 21 Posted February 21 5 hours ago, iamnotapoet said: thank you, it's so hard to think im not a bad writer when all i've been seeing are rejections. trying to stay positive If at all helpful as an anecdote as we wait it out here and contemplate the void - at my good ol current 9-5 job I oversee selections for an application process that typically sees 300-400 applicants. of those, we choose 2-3 to offer this opportunity (keeping vague for the internet) to. At a certain point, I am staring at a pool of 30 amazing applications thinking “dang, any one of these people would be incredible! this is a great next step for all of them and they’re all impressive.” and the narrowing down from there is, to a wide extent, randomness, what we are looking for in that given time period, and factors totally outside the applicant’s control. It feels the process must be similar, but with even more applicants, for MFAs. Rejections are not an indication of quality or promise when you can only admit the smallest percent! Keep at it! my fingers are crossed for everyone! iamnotapoet, nonsense, XXY and 4 others 5 2
Jitterbug98 Posted February 21 Posted February 21 55 minutes ago, Walter Hartwell White said: Anyone else apply to Rutgers-Camden and get the email about how decisions should be in a few weeks and also encouraged you to look into the MA program or is it just me? I’m feeling like it’s a generic email but it seems oddly specific. Yeah I got that too! I’m not really sure if it means anything but it made me nervous lol Walter Hartwell White 1
marsmentality Posted February 21 Posted February 21 Do you guys think Iowa is done calling for fiction? I wasn’t hopeful but I’d like to be done with all of this already 😭😭 probably never writing again tbh
illumikitten Posted February 21 Posted February 21 5 minutes ago, marsmentality said: Do you guys think Iowa is done calling for fiction? I wasn’t hopeful but I’d like to be done with all of this already 😭😭 probably never writing again tbh Last year it was a full week+ between the first posted acceptance and the end of waitlists. I doubt it. marsmentality and Ogwick 2
Ogwick Posted February 21 Posted February 21 (edited) 1 hour ago, marsmentality said: Do you guys think Iowa is done calling for fiction? I wasn’t hopeful but I’d like to be done with all of this already 😭😭 probably never writing again tbh No - to call 20+ people takes more than just Thursday or Friday (2 days) this week. Another poster said historically Iowa stretches this out over multiple days. I’m giving myself to middle of next week. Then I think the calls will be done. Edited February 21 by Ogwick marsmentality 1
Ogwick Posted February 21 Posted February 21 (edited) On 2/18/2026 at 6:11 PM, marsmentality said: guyssss im tired of this shit If you applied to Iowa as well (assuming you did based on another post), know that one of the Deities in my thesis is named Mårrs - so take that as a “good Iowa sign” that you have that mentality in your name! Trying to hang our hat on something to get through the weekend… Edited February 21 by Ogwick marsmentality 1
frootkoops36 Posted February 21 Posted February 21 Hey everyone!! I just got my first MFA acceptance to a school that is close to family and I’m v excited but my top is UCI—have we seen any movement with this school? Or does anyone know a potential timeline for when they begin calling or notifying for poetry ? Ogwick 1
marsmentality Posted February 21 Posted February 21 5 hours ago, Ogwick said: If you applied to Iowa as well (assuming you did based on another post), know that one of the Deities in my thesis is named Mårrs - so take that as a “good Iowa sign” that you have that mentality in your name! Trying to hang our hat on something to get through the weekend… this made me smile, thank you:-) good luck to us both!
asm0deus Posted February 21 Posted February 21 (edited) 17 hours ago, iamnotapoet said: thank you, it's so hard to think im not a bad writer when all i've been seeing are rejections. trying to stay positive i feel this. i was getting really down over it all. this was year THREE for me, probably 30 rejections total. first and second year i only got 2 waitlists each and second year i "got accepted" at a school that lost funding so they couldn't admit me. all those waitlists said no this year. even the school that was GOING TO ADMIT ME!!! it feels so mean! but this process is so unfathomably complex. i think because schools are also trying to build their cohorts to be both dynamic but also connected well between admitted students and current students, there's just so many outside factors. even waitlists being unranked goes to show it. it's crazy because i constantly see it in the spreadsheet—someone gets in at a big school and then receive nos across the board. honestly it helped me feel a little better to see those in the spreadsheet though haha. you really only need one yes! i wish they utilized a more tiered rejection system to at least give us all the indication that we're not the worst writers ever lol. keep your head up! easier said than done, i get it. we're all rooting for you. Edited February 21 by asm0deus BowelMovement, vilum, j1nju and 5 others 7 1
Strawberry14 Posted February 21 Posted February 21 I'm not on the draft--does anyone know if Syracuse Fiction has ever historically sent notifications on the weekend?
asm0deus Posted February 21 Posted February 21 21 minutes ago, Strawberry14 said: I'm not on the draft--does anyone know if Syracuse Fiction has ever historically sent notifications on the weekend? Nope, at least not from last year or going back to 2021, but hey who knows! Strawberry14 1
gafoo Posted February 21 Posted February 21 Damn. Was really hoping to get decisions on Idaho and Montana this week! kiki.xoxo 1
theyearshallrunlikerabbits Posted February 21 Posted February 21 I hate to be that guy but... is Iowa still making calls
Ogwick Posted February 21 Posted February 21 18 minutes ago, theyearshallrunlikerabbits said: I hate to be that guy but... is Iowa still making calls I have yet to believe Iowa is calling in earnest. I believe we would have seen more posts and activity if all the calls were made theyearshallrunlikerabbits 1
SocialKonstruct Posted February 21 Posted February 21 13 hours ago, frootkoops36 said: Hey everyone!! I just got my first MFA acceptance to a school that is close to family and I’m v excited but my top is UCI—have we seen any movement with this school? Or does anyone know a potential timeline for when they begin calling or notifying for poetry ? No word from UCI on my end this weekend. Ogwick 1
meanwhile Posted February 21 Posted February 21 Is there a reason why schools wait so long to send rejects? Like, we know Alabama (for example) has already sent out both accepts and waitlists, so is there any point in not also letting the rejected applicants know? Just genuinely curious if there’s actual reasoning behind this! womanonline and ocurlyfries 2
arghgradapps Posted February 21 Posted February 21 does anyone have ANY idea of how many people are on the WashU waitlist? plz plz plz and thanks
cocoice98 Posted February 22 Posted February 22 @meanwhile Spoke to a few professors about this, it sounds like it is often a policy from the graduate colleges rather than the programs. They are just not allowed to send rejections until cohorts are finalized/all admits have accepted. Even in the case of a waitlist. Ogwick, SocialKonstruct and meanwhile 1 2
SocialKonstruct Posted February 22 Posted February 22 1 hour ago, meanwhile said: Is there a reason why schools wait so long to send rejects? Like, we know Alabama (for example) has already sent out both accepts and waitlists, so is there any point in not also letting the rejected applicants know? Just genuinely curious if there’s actual reasoning behind this! Because they have to tabulate who is going to be attending. Some waitlisted folks will be accepted when top choices decline. So major rejects will be notified when the class roster is determined with finality. Ogwick and meanwhile 1 1
martysupreme Posted February 22 Posted February 22 6 hours ago, Ogwick said: I have yet to believe Iowa is calling in earnest. I believe we would have seen more posts and activity if all the calls were made another acceptance hit the sheet today i'm losing hope! i feel sorta silly and ungrateful bc i am excited about an offer from another school, but iowa is provoking an uncomfortable confrontation with my ego and perception of myself as a writer that i wasn't expecting! i didn't realize i had all these big hopes for iowa until now marsmentality, strawberrymatcha, ladylilith and 1 other 3 1
insearchoflostwine Posted February 22 Posted February 22 Question for writers who apply multiple years, do you always keep the same references or find new mentors/teachers? If so, where do you look? I feel embarrassed asking the same people to help me out again with nothing to show for their previous efforts. ocurlyfries, meanwhile and marsmentality 3
juls Posted February 22 Posted February 22 On 2/20/2026 at 8:09 AM, songofsolomon said: Anyone apply to the Guelph MFA at Guelph-Humber in Toronto? When do their results typically come out? Hey I did, haven’t heard anything yet. There’s one acceptance on the Draft spreadsheet but it’s the only one I’ve seen so far, from a week ago or so!
songofsolomon Posted February 22 Posted February 22 52 minutes ago, juls said: Hey I did, haven’t heard anything yet. There’s one acceptance on the Draft spreadsheet but it’s the only one I’ve seen so far, from a week ago or so! Thank you, I’m not on FB so this is much appreciated! Good luck to you, hopefully we hear something by next week. 😊 juls 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now