Duke Literature

Received an invitation to prospectives weekend (Feb 18-19) earlier today.

The Literature program is one of my top choices and I'm excited to be in the running, they've got some amazing thinkers on staff and the course offerings look phenomenal. Unfortunately, I'm based in Europe so I'll have to do some planning, thinking, and a great deal of spending if I want to be there in-person. I can't imagine that interviewing via Skype/phone would give me the same chance as those spending two days on campus with the faculty and current students. Big dilemma...especially because I'd like to only have to make one trip Stateside to visit schools before deciding (should I be so lucky to have options). A little over two weeks from now is much earlier than I was expecting, so unless I hear back from some other programs before then, I can't kill a few birds with one stone. Two transatlantic flights in a two month period is not good news for my back account.

To the poster from the results board: there was no mention of total students invited or if offers of admission are only made to those students who interview. Sorry.

Someone else posted that they got an interview invite on 28. January, anyone claim it?

I'm not sure if interviewing via skype would necessarily make you look "bad" compared to people that go to campus. However, considering the fact that Duke accepts 8 students a year into their English Ph.D., you may want to consider contacting the graduate department to inquire if it will negatively impact you if you do your interview via skype. The option for video conference is obviously offered for a reason. I would imagine they would understand if you were not able to attend in person due to the fact that you live overseas. CONGRATS on getting an interview - that is HUGE!!!!

Received an invitation to prospectives weekend (Feb 18-19) earlier today.

The Literature program is one of my top choices and I'm excited to be in the running, they've got some amazing thinkers on staff and the course offerings look phenomenal. Unfortunately, I'm based in Europe so I'll have to do some planning, thinking, and a great deal of spending if I want to be there in-person. I can't imagine that interviewing via Skype/phone would give me the same chance as those spending two days on campus with the faculty and current students. Big dilemma...especially because I'd like to only have to make one trip Stateside to visit schools before deciding (should I be so lucky to have options). A little over two weeks from now is much earlier than I was expecting, so unless I hear back from some other programs before then, I can't kill a few birds with one stone. Two transatlantic flights in a two month period is not good news for my back account.

To the poster from the results board: there was no mention of total students invited or if offers of admission are only made to those students who interview. Sorry.

Someone else posted that they got an interview invite on 28. January, anyone claim it?

They want you to do an interview and called it a prospectives weekend? That's strange phrasing. Usually a prospectives weekend is for those who have already been accepted. I didn't even know Duke did interviews.

Jesus. And where the hell are my manners? Congratulations!

Edited by diehtc0ke

Let's do a cost benefit analysis:

1. Cost of travel and accommodations from Europe to Duke... I dunno, like $2,000?

2. Potential upside of getting into top choice school? $20k/yr stipend + $10k/year free tuition + $5k misc X 5 years = $175,000

3. Peace of mind from knowing you interviewed in the best possible way: Priceless?

No brainer for me, just go. This is your future. Time and money are of little to no consequence.

Edited by jprufrock

Let's do a cost benefit analysis:

1. Cost of travel and accommodations from Europe to Duke... I dunno, like $2,000?

2. Potential upside of getting into top choice school? $20k/yr stipend + $10k/year free tuition + $5k misc X 5 years = $175,000

3. Peace of mind from knowing you interviewed in the best possible way: Priceless?

No brainer for me, just go. This is your future. Time and money are of little to no consequence.

I like your potential upside of this...but Duke's tuition is more like $35k a year!!!! SO we are looking at a potential of $300K - definitely workth the current $2kish kick out for travel.

Given it is one of your top choices, this makes the decision more difficult. While I would usually be firmly on the side of visit first, I would play devil's advocate a bit here. . .or at least offer a pragmatic voice in that you should try to find out info on how selective the interview process is. If they take 10% of the interviewed pool, that might tip the CBA to a web interview unless you can do multiple visits while in the States. If they accept most of the people they interview, that might tip the scales were it me, but I'd recommend contacting them, explaining the situation, and seeing how much info you can find out.

Thanks for all of these replies everyone, I think I will contact them this week to find out more information about the selectivity of the interview process in addition to contacting other programs to find out further information about their visiting weekends. I just don't want to sound pushy or presumptuous in so doing.

As to the odd titling of the event, I don't know what to make of it. The subject lines says Prospectives Weekend, the first word of the email is congratulations, but then it says that I've been named a finalist for admission to the program. After that some statement about me seeing if the program is a good fit and them finding out if my interests match with their offerings followed by a bunch of logistical details. Guess I'll have a few questions to ask the coordinator when I call.

Thanks again everyone, my partner flew out of town this morning and with no one around to share my excitement except my beagle, I'm glad to be able to come here and gush a bit.

And, I'd still be interested to know the others who have been invited and maybe chat a bit before going...

Edited by outofredink

CONGRATS, OUTOFREDINK!!!!!

Very happy for you, especially given how anxious you were/since it's one of your top choices!

I haven't heard anything from them yet, but to be honest, I'm really expecting a rejection. You can't win 'em all, I guess; it's not one of my top choices, so I won't be *too* bummed when the rejection comes. =)

But you should definitely fly to the interview weekend. As others have said, THIS IS YOUR FUTURE! But you're right--the weekend is earlier than expected. You barely have time to get work off, book a flight, and pack! ...Don't they pay at least some of the travel costs?

Thanks for all of these replies everyone, I think I will contact them this week to find out more information about the selectivity of the interview process in addition to contacting other programs to find out further information about their visiting weekends. I just don't want to sound pushy or presumptuous in so doing.

As to the odd titling of the event, I don't know what to make of it. The subject lines says Prospectives Weekend, the first word of the email is congratulations, but then it says that I've been named a finalist for admission to the program. After that some statement about me seeing if the program is a good fit and them finding out if my interests match with their offerings followed by a bunch of logistical details. Guess I'll have a few questions to ask the coordinator when I call.

Thanks again everyone, my partner flew out of town this morning and with no one around to share my excitement except my beagle, I'm glad to be able to come here and gush a bit.

And, I'd still be interested to know the others who have been invited and maybe chat a bit before going...

Major CONGRATS! The Duke program is awesome. Based on your paraphrasing of the email you received, I would be pushed to say that's actually an acceptance email and not an interview email. Especially considering that the weekend was framed as an opportunity for you to see if the program is the right fit for you as opposed to wording that would suggest they would like you to jump through more hoops for them. But who am I to say I haven't seen the email. Either way, congrats again.

I certainly think you have received sound advice here, and just wanted to add my own "Congratulations!!" to the voices. An interview is definitely a very positive sign!

Given the distance you would need to travel, I would think a call to the director of English graduate studies reframing the question to give yourself a good understanding of where you are at would not be remiss. Maybe something like, "I am very excited about the offer of an interview, as yu are certainly my top choice in programs, but I would be flying in from Europe for this, and of course that's a bit of an overhead cost. How likely would I be to be accepted if I were to attend the interview?" That is a reasonable thing to ask, given the logistics and expense of air travel, and you should be able to gauge from there whether the flight would be worth the expense. :)

Major CONGRATS! The Duke program is awesome. Based on your paraphrasing of the email you received, I would be pushed to say that's actually an acceptance email and not an interview email. Especially considering that the weekend was framed as an opportunity for you to see if the program is the right fit for you as opposed to wording that would suggest they would like you to jump through more hoops for them. But who am I to say I haven't seen the email. Either way, congrats again.

At the end, however, it does say that final admissions decisions will be made closer to 1. March. :(

Given it is one of your top choices, this makes the decision more difficult. While I would usually be firmly on the side of visit first, I would play devil's advocate a bit here. . .or at least offer a pragmatic voice in that you should try to find out info on how selective the interview process is. If they take 10% of the interviewed pool, that might tip the CBA to a web interview unless you can do multiple visits while in the States. If they accept most of the people they interview, that might tip the scales were it me, but I'd recommend contacting them, explaining the situation, and seeing how much info you can find out.

10% of the interview pool?! I think inviting 70+ people to campus is a bit unfeasible. It's my understanding that these "interviews" for lit programs are more like "feelers"--they'll be making offers to at least 90% of "interviewees."

Edited by blackmagician

10% of the interview pool?! I think inviting 70+ people to campus is a bit unfeasible. It's my understanding that these "interviews" for lit programs are more like "feelers"--they'll be making offers to at least 90% of "interviewees."

Perhaps the 10% was a bit hyperbolic, but the reality is that there could be a high chance of not getting admitted in spite of having an interview. We all know what assuming does, no? Call/email and ask, as others have said, and they might also offer to cover more of your travel as well. Congrats again to the OP.

I certainly think you have received sound advice here, and just wanted to add my own "Congratulations!!" to the voices. An interview is definitely a very positive sign!

Given the distance you would need to travel, I would think a call to the director of English graduate studies reframing the question to give yourself a good understanding of where you are at would not be remiss. Maybe something like, "I am very excited about the offer of an interview, as yu are certainly my top choice in programs, but I would be flying in from Europe for this, and of course that's a bit of an overhead cost. How likely would I be to be accepted if I were to attend the interview?" That is a reasonable thing to ask, given the logistics and expense of air travel, and you should be able to gauge from there whether the flight would be worth the expense. :)

I think this is a good idea, except for the bolded part. I'd be very wary about phrasing an inquiry like that for a number of reasons (not least, it might come off as sounding rather presumptuous). However, MM's idea of contacting them (the DGA or someone making decisions, not just the grad assistant/secretary), letting them know you're excited but that this is a tricky situation, etc., might be very beneficial as you suss out this situation.

Also, congrats! Getting an interview for Duke Lit is HUGE.

Edited for phrasing/typos.

Edited by Pamphilia

I think this is a good idea, except for the bolded part. I'd be very wary about phrasing it like that for a number of reasons. However, contacting them (the DGA or someone making decisions, not just the grad assistant/secretary), letting them know you're excited but that this is a tricky situation, etc., might be very beneficial.

Also, congrats! Getting an interview for Duke Lit is HUGE.

This is what I ended up asking:

Can you tell me something about the selectivity of these interviews? How many finalists have been invited and how many spaces are available in the program this year? I don't ask to be presumptuous, but to better gauge the importance of my being present on Prospectives Weekend as opposed to later in the month; it would be helpful to know if this final round is highly selective or a matter of formality.

I hope I didn't make anyone angry, but I had to ask. Most round-trip tickets at the moment are going for around 500 EUR plus some change, that's half a month's pay for me (cost of living is very reasonable here). To have to do that in February and in March, not to mention again in August should I be so lucky...horrifying.

This is what I ended up asking:

Can you tell me something about the selectivity of these interviews? How many finalists have been invited and how many spaces are available in the program this year? I don't ask to be presumptuous, but to better gauge the importance of my being present on Prospectives Weekend as opposed to later in the month; it would be helpful to know if this final round is highly selective or a matter of formality.

I hope I didn't make anyone angry, but I had to ask. Most round-trip tickets at the moment are going for around 500 EUR plus some change, that's half a month's pay for me (cost of living is very reasonable here). To have to do that in February and in March, not to mention again in August should I be so lucky...horrifying.

I think that sounds perfectly fine, very acceptable question. Hope you get the answer you are looking for!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally heard from Duke Literature today, almost a month after our interview weekend. They interviewed 14 and had spots for 6. After falling in love with the program and the people -- professors and students alike -- during my visit to Durham, this has become one of my top choices, so I'm ecstatic that it worked out.

Who's the other acceptance on the results board...anyone? I have email addresses for everyone who was at the interview weekend (not for the Skype interviewees though), but I think sending a mass email to everyone to see who got in would be in bad form.

This makes the decision I have to reach in the next month even more difficult than before. Let the sleepless nights begin/continue...

Wow! Congrats! You certainly DO have some tough choices. Congrats on an amazing app season!

Thank you lyoness! I'm quite overwhelmed by all of this; I was honestly conceiving of this whole application season as a how-to for an inevitable round two next year. Although tough choices lie ahead, I know I'm incredibly fortunate to have options.