Best/Worst Case Scenarios

Amalia222

So most of us in the humanities have a bit of a wait to go, probably two more weeks or so at the least, so I thought it might be fun to hear what other people's best and worst case scenarios are. Here's mine:

BEST CASE SCENARIO

I get into one of the top three schools (Florida State, Houston, or USC), I get full funding with a TA ship and tuition waiver, including a stipend for housing (a girl can dream!!). Freed of all worries, I can now spend my summer doing whatever I want--namely, taking a scuba diving trip. A month before school starts, I'd move to my new digs and adopt a cat from a shelter to keep me company on all those long nights of studying.

WORST CASE SCENARIO

I don't get into any of my ten schools. I must now find a full time job. I may also have to spend my entire summer studying to retake the GREs, since my GRE scores expire after this year (please, please, anything but the GREs!!! I'll do whatever you want!!! Just no more!!!). I must continue to live with my parents, and possibly get a teaching credential for California, since I cannot afford to live anywhere else at the moment. Try again, to ten more less desirable schools the following year. Cry.

:-)

Best Case:

I get into a history program with full funding, I don't freak out about the work load and dissertation and I make it through to the end. I find a job teaching at a small institution or a community college.

Worst Case:

Only get accepted to one MLIS program and go into debt in order to get the degree (because these programs are rarely funded well). Upon graduation, not being able to find a desirable job in a school library, and being forced into a low paying full time job that I could have gotten without the degree, only with buckets of grad school debt to pay off.

Edited by SimilarlyDifferent

Best Case: get into Stanford with full funding, be able to move cross country without doing permanent emotional damage to my cat, kick ass at my PhD, and get a sweet-ass tenure track (hell, ANY) job at a small liberal arts college where I can do it all, if I want. Ideally in Illinois. Then buy a little house with a gigantic garden and have a pack of equally gigantic dogs, at least one of which will be named Chewbacca. Nothing too specific, eh? :)

Worst Case: get into a program with no funding, go $60K into debt (BOOOOOO), not be able to get into a reputable PhD program afterwards and have to go back to square one with the administration jobs (nothing wrong with them in general, just a little soul-killing for me). Live in a box next door to a dumpster. Weep until my tear ducts dry up. Eat Twinkies. Repeat.

So pretty much what you said, SimilarlyDifferent.:) I worry because right now, I have a pretty rad job in a great environment (just not what I want to do forever, you know?), so I don't want to screw that up. Either I'm all in, or all out! Yeesh.

Best Case:

I get into a history program with full funding, I don't freak out about the work load and dissertation and I make it through to the end. I find a job teaching at a small institution or a community college.

Worst Case:

Only get accepted to one MLIS program and go into debt in order to get the degree (because these programs are rarely funded well). Upon graduation, not being able to find a desirable job in a school library, and being forced into a low paying full time job that I could have gotten without the degree, only with buckets of grad school debt to pay off.

Then buy a little house with a gigantic garden and have a pack of equally gigantic dogs, at least one of which will be named Chewbacca. Nothing too specific, eh? :)

Hahahahahahahahahahaa!!

Best case scenario- I get into both of the PhD programs I applied for and, now that I know how completely different they are, spend my nights sleepless and soul-searching trying to figure out what I really want.

Worst case scenario - I get into both of the PhD programs I applied for and, now that I know how completely different they are, spend my nights sleepless and soul-searching trying to figure out what I really want.

;)

Best Case Scenario: I get accepted into any of the graduate programs I applied to, visit the school, and feel great about going there. I'll know more about the chance of this happening after my interview this weekend!!

Worst Case Scenario: I bomb my interview and the professors tell me they made a huge mistake inviting me to their school. They also tell me that they will tell other schools how terrible I am so I never get accepted into any graduate program. I then get rejected from all 12 schools I applied to, I have to live with my parents, and work at McDonald's for an indefinite amount of time.

Best Case Scenario - I'm accepted into only one PhD program (the one with the best funding, fit, and reputation, of course) and have no grounds to question anything. The transition is easy, and I finish my PhD in six years with no problems. I win the Nobel Prize for my dissertation and spend the rest of my life choosing how much research I do and don't want to do. Money, of course, is no problem.

Worst Case Scenario - All-round rejections. I go into a state college MA program, racking up debt because by the time I receive my rejections, it's too late to apply for any assistantships. I never get anything published, and when I'm done with the MA, I receive all-round rejections to PhD programs and am driven into taking adjunct positions at community colleges. I can't pay my student loans or any other bills, and I am forced to live on the streets, taking the occasional shower in the gym locker rooms at the schools for which I work.

Best Case Scenario - I get accepted with funding into at least three programs, allowing me to choose between them depending upon advisor personality and university culture and no other factors. Oh, and these places all do a great job of mentoring grad students and after I finish my Ph.D I have plenty of job connections and easily find a TT position in my preferred area of the country.

Worst Case Scenario - I work for my friends as a live in cook/nanny for the rest of my life, and/or eventually marry some rich person out of desperation, with no job prospects ever again.

Best Case Scenario: I get fully funded for an MA program with an assistantship/fellowship/blessing from above. Then I graduate with honors, then I get a fabulous job, then I live happily ever after

Worst Case Scenario: All around rejection. I move to Dallas and become Pam from The Office. Or I get married and become a housewife.

Best Case:

Worst Case:

wow that is taking a long view!! I can't think about what would happen AFTER graduate school yet! Congrats, at least on getting into one program! I'm jealous.

Best Case: get into Stanford with full funding, be able to move cross country without doing permanent emotional damage to my cat, kick ass at my PhD, and get a sweet-ass tenure track (hell, ANY) job at a small liberal arts college where I can do it all, if I want. Ideally in Illinois. Then buy a little house with a gigantic garden and have a pack of equally gigantic dogs, at least one of which will be named Chewbacca. Nothing too specific, eh? :)

I have to say, Chewbacca is the most awesome name for a dog, ever. If you don't mind, I may steal that for when I get a dog someday!!

Best Case Scenario: I get fully funded for an MA program with an assistantship/fellowship/blessing from above. Then I graduate with honors, then I get a fabulous job, then I live happily ever after

Worst Case Scenario: All around rejection. I move to Dallas and become Pam from The Office. Or I get married and become a housewife.

I have considered becoming "Pam", as well. I would enjoy even more if my co-workers were Office-esque, especially if there was a "Dwight".

Best Case Scenario: Get into Colorado School of Mines, full-funding with internship at United States Geological Survey. AFterwards, get a wonderful job with the government (BLM, United States Forest Service, Army Corps of Engineers, etc..)

Worst Case: I have 2 back up plans-mostly because I am very determined to pursue my passion, I really need a change from my job and have been planning this for a while...and I really don't mind any of these options. At least that's comforting if I don't get into CSM.

1. I don't get into to CSM :(, but get into Colorado State University, take classes there to prepare for graduate study, while attending relevant conferences, presenting posters, maybe do some research etc...preparing to be the most awesome applicant ever for CSM when I apply again.

2. Don't get into CSU, take classes at community college to prepare for graduate school, attend relevant association meetings, network, volunteer at geotechnical firm.

Repeat process until admitted to CSM...maybe. I'll give it 2 tries. I can only go in debt so much.

Absolute worst case: no school wants me, I move to Telluride, work in a ski shop and become a ski bum.

Edited by paigeski

Best case scenario: I get into the only program I applied to, and live happily ever after.

Worst case scenario: I have to apply again next year.

Sorry for the straightforwardness. :unsure:

Edited by PrettyVacant

Best:

My husband is accepted variety of programs and we can weigh the pros and cons of each location and program.

Worst:

He is rejected from all nine schools. We continue to scrape by in a location with a particularly bad economy and job market, and it's made worse by the fact that I have to have major surgery on my feet in the next year.

Well, I've already been accepted to a school (Yippee!!)

Best Case:

I somehow get fully funded to either UMich or University of Washington-Seattle for my MLIS where I meet my future spouse (a multi millionaire with a genius IQ, just to be clear). I do fabulously well in school and land my dream job at a library at a really great university. We settle down and raise 3 kids who never have any behavioral problems and become productive members of society.

Worst Case:

I don't get any funding at UMich and end up really in debt and have no job prospects. So I come home with my tail between my legs. I live the remainder of my life living in my parent's basement while working the same part-time job I've have since high school. Then I get fired. I slip into a deep depression and lose all concepts of personal hygiene.

Edited by lydibird

I loose both hands, so can no longer write, my voicebox is removed, so I can no longer sing, and I never go insane, despite the circumstances. I spend the rest of my life living a miserable life without the capacity to free myself from that misery with the arts I love.

That certainly puts things in perspective :blink:

My best case scenario: I get into the Met summer internship and become a star in the New York museum circuit, then I go on to a top-20 art history program, bouncing effortlessly between academics and museum studies, continuing my experimental archaeology all the while, and then after defending my PhD I am given an incredible opportunity where I simultaneously delight scholars and dazzle the public with early medieval material culture.

Worst case: I don't get into anywhere, I don't even get re-accepted to where I'm getting my MA, so I cut and run from academia with my tail between my legs, become a personal trainer, yoga teacher, and ZUMBA instructor, and open a personal gym called Viking Fitness.

Hmmm...methinks I should stop worrying so much.

Best Case Scenario: I get a call from my top choice school and they accept me. They offer me a big enough stipend that I won't have to work the insane hours I've been working to support myself during my Master's. Me, the boyfriend, and the cat all move to our new city and love it. BF finds a great job, too. My family supports me 100%. I do well in the program, find that it's the perfect fit for me, and even though it's a lot of work, I'm truly happy.

Worst Case Scenario: I am not accepted to any schools in the States. I apply to a few programs in Europe, and I'm not accepted to any of those, either. I take an extra year to write a kick-ass thesis (since I have more time to think about it), increase my work hours and maybe take a few relevant courses to beef up next year's applications. Submit papers to a few conferences and hopefully be invited to speak at one or two of them. Beg my profs to re-write my LORs. Apply all over again next year.

Best case, I get accepted into Local Ivy, don't have to move, get fabulous funding, with enough money to move hubby, my two kids, and I to France for the dissertation I've been dreaming about since 1999.

Worst case, can't afford the school I've been accepted to (they don't have money--it's complicated), so can't actually go. Have another baby, a be a soccer mom forever. Sigh (much as I love the kiddos...not so much the SAHM gig)

Best Case: I get into one of the two schools I applied to (or both! Couldn't complain about having a choice!), get funding, do exciting, fun, interesting, and fulfilling research. I am able to connect my work in my PhD program with my current adviser (which seemed to be a possibility when I spoke to people in both departments). My boyfriend is able to stay in the area throughout the course of my progream and we get married and get a puppy.

Worst Case: I don't get into a program, never find a job in my field because I have little work experience in related fields (I have great research experience, but not so much that would be applicable to working in a non-research capacity). I end up working at McDonalds for life and crying myself to sleep every night curled up in fetal position.

Goodness, let's see.

Best-case scenario: I get into Davis with full funding, my boss is cool with me working part time for the next year until I tire of her shenanigans and quit, my fiance and I buy a house and start a beekeeping farm in our backyard, my friends and family all accept my lame excuses for not going to stupid events because NOW I'm getting a Ph.D., and all the kids who made fun of me in junior high realize how truly awesome I really am.

Worst-case scenario: I convince myself that a great remedy for bitterness, disappointment, and self-loathing is to get pregnant.