Relocating / Shipping

How did you manage to carry 6 suitcases? Or were you able to take a taxi straight from the airport to your apartment, without having to change planes/trains/busses/whatever? I can't imagine bringing so much with me. I had trouble returning home after my research stay in the US one year ago with two suitcases, a carry-on and a handbag.

it was crazy, but I managed. my father took me to the airport. then I got one of those airport carts & checked in all the bags but my carry on & my cat. When I arrived here, I immediately got one of those big airport carts again & took it to the luggage belt. Then I got a cab and left the cart on the sidewalk, took the cab straight to the hotel, and the bellman helped me unload everything :)

I'm so bummed that the sevenseas shipping doesnt operate in my country. Can anyone recommend any other companies? It looks like I might be moving to France at the end of this summer, trying to coordinate everything just in case ....

Talking about cell phone companies, even if you bring your unlocked cell phone with you (as I did in August) they will charge you for the deposit (in my case, they asked me for a $500 deposit in AT&T, which, of course, I refused to pay).

Since then, I've been using prepaid, and I've realized that I made the right decision, since I spend way less that the minimum voice plan in a contract.

Talking about cell phone companies, even if you bring your unlocked cell phone with you (as I did in August) they will charge you for the deposit (in my case, they asked me for a $500 deposit in AT&T, which, of course, I refused to pay).

Since then, I've been using prepaid, and I've realized that I made the right decision, since I spend way less that the minimum voice plan in a contract.

I know I would safe tons of money using prepaid but somehow I feel myself so drawn to the idea of unlimited internet access/data allowance for the new phone I'll buy in the U.S.

This would definitely lead to more direct and indirect costs (soo much more time lost procrastinating on the internet), but I just can't resist. The cheapest option for this is definitely the $45 straighttalk unlimited plan. Much more than I would ever have to pay with a talk&text-only prepaid phone....

Oh, by the way, could somebody tell me about internet in the US? I would like to have unlimited internet at home - is it expensive?

the internet here is usually unlimited... buying packages of certain sizes (say, 4GB data/month) is very very rare, unless you are buying it from a cell phone company. but even they have unlimited internet packages, but is very expensive. most apartments will provide you free internet (once you start searching for apts, you'll see that they will say the internet is included in the rent price), while some might charge you a nominal fee - usually around/less than 10$/month. if you rent a space with no internet (usually houses, basements, etc), then you most probably will have to buy the internet yourself. in this case, you can expect to pay anywhere from about 20$ to 50$/month, depending on what kind of speed you want. usually the 'normal' internet hookup is pretty fast - the one i am using right now from comcast (an internet provider company) gives 12mb speed, and it runs about 22$/month. also, if you live in a house or apt with other people and you are not provided with free internet, you can always split the bill... the cost might come down to around 5$/month, depending on how many occupants live in the house/apt.

the internet here is usually unlimited... buying packages of certain sizes (say, 4GB data/month) is very very rare, unless you are buying it from a cell phone company. but even they have unlimited internet packages, but is very expensive. most apartments will provide you free internet (once you start searching for apts, you'll see that they will say the internet is included in the rent price), while some might charge you a nominal fee - usually around/less than 10$/month. if you rent a space with no internet (usually houses, basements, etc), then you most probably will have to buy the internet yourself. in this case, you can expect to pay anywhere from about 20$ to 50$/month, depending on what kind of speed you want. usually the 'normal' internet hookup is pretty fast - the one i am using right now from comcast (an internet provider company) gives 12mb speed, and it runs about 22$/month. also, if you live in a house or apt with other people and you are not provided with free internet, you can always split the bill... the cost might come down to around 5$/month, depending on how many occupants live in the house/apt.

Thanks a lot!

That is definetely good news! :)

most apartments will provide you free internet (once you start searching for apts, you'll see that they will say the internet is included in the rent price), while some might charge you a nominal fee - usually around/less than 10$/month.

Personally, I haven't found a lot of apartments that provide internet. I think you should plan on needing to purchase your own, but it could vary by location. It's a pretty painless process, fortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Phone plans: my friends purchased a family plan, so they each had to pay around $30. I decided to go with a pre-paid AT&T Go Phone. I don't talk that much on the phone and my phone has internet and there is this really cool VOIP provider that offers 90 free days to landlines in my home country for every purchase you make with them. I pay around $10 a month (maybe less) for my AT&T phone. I have the plan where there is a $1 access fee and then free AT&T calls and 10 cents to other carriers. The previous plan was 25 cents to any carriers and no access fee. Oh, and the VOIP service I use and sorta love is www.justvoip.com

• 2 months later...

I am also going to Cambridge from the UK.

I am probably going to go with Virgin mobile for a cell contract as I want unlimited data and texts without signing a 24 month contract: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

With regards to luggage I am only going for a year so I am renting a furnished apartment on campus and I am only allowing myself to take 2 extra bags so I have 3 in total. The US is cheaper for winter clothes etc so will buy some out there.

Any tips welcome!

This. I'm planning to just pack my suitcases with my clothes, personal stuff, some books and laptop. I don't plan on taking anything else at all.

Well, I'm heading to Davis (near San Francisco), and I'm planning to ship about 4 cubic metres, which will cost ± £500 port-port (quote from EuroUSA). There's no way I could replace stuff for close to that. Though that's for a PhD, not a year!

I've used T-Mobile PostPay when I've been there before. It's kinda pricey compared to the UK, but about the only non-contract data service that will work with a decent phone - the Virgin network is freaky, and you're pretty much tied to their (awful) phones.

Also, I'd highly recommend using Caxton or one of the other FX card/transfer companies, and *not* using the ATM card and SWIFT service from your bank!!

ah - thanks for the heads up on Virgin.

Davis is a cute town - I lived in Sacramento/SF for 4 years and had a couple nights out there. Lots of bikes!

Well, I'm heading to Davis (near San Francisco), and I'm planning to ship about 4 cubic metres, which will cost ± £500 port-port (quote from EuroUSA). There's no way I could replace stuff for close to that. Though that's for a PhD, not a year!

I've used T-Mobile PostPay when I've been there before. It's kinda pricey compared to the UK, but about the only non-contract data service that will work with a decent phone - the Virgin network is freaky, and you're pretty much tied to their (awful) phones.

Also, I'd highly recommend using Caxton or one of the other FX card/transfer companies, and *not* using the ATM card and SWIFT service from your bank!!

It's called seven seas worldwide - (sevenseasworldwide.com) - I have the link from this forum.

But my dad works at a company which has good contacts to shipping companies and may be able to give me an even cheaper price.

I will still have to do some thinking if I really want to send two boxes or just one. But for 300 euros, you can't buy a whole winter wardrobe (and I'm not a person who wears designer brands at all, I'm mostly the H&M type of girl). So I'd rather bring my winter shoes/coat/clothes with me instead of spending the money to buy it all new. And there are some items that are really important to me. But I haven't figured it out completely yet (I don't even have an admit). I will make a list of what I really want/need and then see what's the cheapest option.

Sorry, I'm really late reading through this thread but this post of your caught my attention. I saw that you're going to be in Miami. You really really don't need heavy winter stuff there. It doesn't get cold. This shows the average temperature for the year in Miami. The average lows are jacket weather. That's not to say it won't get colder every now and then, but there won't be snow. I'd suggest you bring maybe one coat, maybe a few jackets and some long sleeves but I would leave almost all winter stuff at home. If you are going back home during winter break you could always bring another 20 Kg bag back with you if you decide you need more winter clothes. That's just a suggestion though.

Edited by FingersCrossedX

Sorry, I'm really late reading through this thread but this post of your caught my attention. I saw that you're going to be in Miami. You really really don't need heavy winter stuff there. It doesn't get cold. This shows the average temperature for the year in Miami. The average lows are jacket weather. That's not to say it won't get colder every now and then, but there won't be snow. I'd suggest you bring maybe one coat, maybe a few jackets and some long sleeves but I would leave almost all winter stuff at home. If you are going back home during winter break you could always bring another 20 Kg bag back with you if you decide you need more winter clothes. That's just a suggestion though.

Hi! Thanks for letting me know. My posting was written at a time where I didn't know which offer I'd take. I had offers from UIndiana and UMissouri for example and I definitely would need winter stuff there. For Miami, I thought I'd just bring a thin jacket but apart from that nothing really warm: no pullovers, no boots etc...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...