SIPA (Columbia) Thread

For anyone who applied to the International Fellows Program: http://themorningsidepost.com/2011/03/international-fellows-program-reborn/ sounds like the competition will be tough.

Of the 30 fellows this year, I wonder how many are from SIPA, and how many of those are 1st year students?

Still awaiting MPA - EPD! I'm worried, as most of the other folks waiting appear to be waiting for MPA-DP...

I am sure a lot of folks might not take the offer from SIPA due to little or no funding. I will probably not be accepting my offer from them due to no scholarship, so I am sure some spots will open up for folks who are on the waitlist. Good luck!

i was also wondering about stuff we waitlisters can do:(

I just hope the waitlist status would be updated before we need to notify other schools..

Kimme if you are waiting for MIA, it is possible that they are considering you for funds/scholarships. I got my admit from SIPA a long time ago. So be hopeful that no news is indeed good news with some money coming your way. :rolleyes:

Nope...I am waiting for MIA. Sighhhhhhh dunno whether or not no news is good news.

For anyone who applied to the International Fellows Program: http://themorningsid...program-reborn/ sounds like the competition will be tough.

Of the 30 fellows this year, I wonder how many are from SIPA, and how many of those are 1st year students?

Still awaiting MPA - EPD! I'm worried, as most of the other folks waiting appear to be waiting for MPA-DP...

I am also waiting for MPA-EPD

Hey Guys,

Are there any other international students still waiting?

I mean, admitted student day is getting closer. I don't know whether the Waldorf Astoria will have rooms avalaible on such a short notice..

Let's hope we get those answers soon ..

Edited by Fong Sai Yuk

I couldn't agree more!

Still waiting, even though the blog said not to read into this I am. Being the last %19 to get a decision is so frustrating. Knowing that I am part of the last group is even more frustrating, I have come to hate the blog.

I'm waiting for MIA as well. After getting waitlisted by Fletcher and SAIS my hope is starting to fade. Before applying this year I read through last year's thread and I had hoped I wouldn't be clumped in that last 20% but here I am. At least I'm in good company!

I am still recovering from the surprise of receiving offers from both SIPA (MPA-DP) and HKS (MPP). I felt I had a slim chance for both, so was expecting to get in to one at most. Now I have to make a tough choice.

I'm currently leaning towards HKS as there are a number of faculty whose research relate to my interests, though the MPA--DP SIPA course is obviously also an incredible opportunity for someone planning to work longterm in the NGO sector.

My primary focus is partnerships between NGOs and private sector and I have a job to return to in this field. My other interests include NGO leadership/management, organisational performance, disaster management and risk reduction and business at the base of the pyramid. I'm also looking to gain skills for launching/leading a research department/thinktank.

Anyone have any advice?

To those accepted to the MPA-DP program:

Guys, would you mind sharing a little more about your career backgrounds, education, GRE scores, etc. I was rejected this year (I think it's mainly because I don't have any "on the ground" experience) but I'm planning on applying again in the next couple of years, so I want to get a better understanding about what kind of candidates they have accepted. I'd appreciate it! And once again, congratulations!!!

The latest on the blog:

The Admissions Committee spent several hours in meetings on Wednesday making decisions but very few decisions were sent out yesterday. Once a decision is made, a series of steps must be completed to finalize things in our system. We are in the “rolling” process where as we make decisions we will publish them. As a reminder, we send an email notifying an applicant that the decision has been posted so there is no reason to log in to the system prior to receiving an email.

so looks like we should be getting some decisions today after all?

Yeh...can anyone in the U.S. give them a call and check if the rest 17-19% still exist?---Maybe they were stolen by some aliens or blown away by the wind... It's such a long wait though. the blog says some waitlisted candidates would hear back from the school in early April. will we be able to get our decisions before the waitlisted candidates get theirs? Or maybe the reason why ours are kept for so long is that we o take the waitlist places when the early waitlist people are admitted off the waitlist??? endless guessing...

The latest on the blog:

The Admissions Committee spent several hours in meetings on Wednesday making decisions but very few decisions were sent out yesterday. Once a decision is made, a series of steps must be completed to finalize things in our system. We are in the “rolling” process where as we make decisions we will publish them. As a reminder, we send an email notifying an applicant that the decision has been posted so there is no reason to log in to the system prior to receiving an email.

so looks like we should be getting some decisions today after all?

I just got a email from Matt Clemons from confirming my acceptance. I also received a $20,000 SIPA fellowship and was selected to be an International Fellow with another $2,500 on top. The email stated that the online system wouldn't be updated until next week so everyone waiting can take heart, you might be in the scholarship pool.