Fletcher Thread

hchambers86

waitlisted. any idea what are the chances of getting in?

"Starting in May, the Committee will review the responses from students initially offered admission and consider students who indicate that they wish to be admitted from the Waitlist. Our Waitlist is not a ranked list and, unfortunately, we cannot predict how many people we will admit from the Waitlist. We will notify you as soon as possible, in order to help you plan your studies."

"Starting in May, the Committee will review the responses from students initially offered admission and consider students who indicate that they wish to be admitted from the Waitlist. Our Waitlist is not a ranked list and, unfortunately, we cannot predict how many people we will admit from the Waitlist. We will notify you as soon as possible, in order to help you plan your studies."

Didn't get in...oh well. Don't regret going to the evaluative interview though, as I really didn't like the campus anyway.

$30,000 scholarship for the MIB!! Arghhh! More than being happy am in a fix! I was most inclined to SIPA until I received the decision from Fletcher! Help me!

OK, on second thoughts I am ecstatic! Wow 30K is a hell lot of money! Congratulations to all those who got selected!

Edited by braindead

lhyde17:

Sorry you didn't get in this year but I like your spirit and am sure that you will get admitted after gaining more experience (and I heard that reapplying is considered a good thing as they see that you were serious about the school and not just applying out of desperation or whatever other reason some people have in this economy to go back to school just because the job market is bad.

Not sure how long you are out of undergrad, but I would advise you to use this year to build up your resume (as they will most likely look at what you have done since your first time applying). Go abroad (there are TONS of options - feel free to PM me if you want some ideas), if you decide to stay in your country (I believe it's Canada), make sure you do something that relates to your future degree since they will want to see progress in your career towards IR/diplomacy. In general it appears: the longer you are out of undergrad, the better your chances of getting admitted (and funding) as you have more experience (work and life experience) and a more concrete idea of what you want (and don't want) to do.

I doubt there is a standard formula, but I'd say work experience (international if possible), being multilingual with a visible background/interest in international affairs, and a clear vision of what you will do with the degree are key. I personally believe GRE is secondary (my verbal was not very high, granted English is not my native language but when I asked all the admissions offices, almost all said it is only a part of the application. Even with a verbal score of only 500, I was able to receive a generous scholarship, so I wouldn't stress out too much about the GRE if your GPA and other stats show you are a smart cookie. (I did stress out too much about the GRE, studied for months, and in the end realized it wasn't all that bad)

I recommend focusing most of your time and effort on writing a very strong statement and getting excellent (not just good) recommendations from professors/supervisors that know you very well. The statement is your chance to introduce yourself to the admissions committee and the only time you can shed more light on your aspirations and bring your resume and numbers (GPA, GRE, etc.) to life.

Best of luck!

anyone who applied for Ph.D????

(Tufts was my first choice and I got rejected.. so sad... but I will try next year and would like to know what factors got you admitted!)

I had been hanging around this forum for quite some time.

Got an admit from fletcher. Funding for 20k/year.

Being an intl applicant, as of now this is my top choice. Stil waiting to hear from SIPA though.

Accepted to Fletcher MALD with a $23k/annum scholarship. SIPA with no funding.

Candidate from India - if others from India are planning to connect, let me know.

Congratulations :) Does that include tuition or are you getting $23k stipend and free tuition? Just trying to work out how generous Fletcher are to decide whether to apply to them myself next year as an international student.

Hey !

I got an email from an admissions committee member, that he was one of the people who read my profile and was impressed by my work experience and academics and looks forward to meeting me at Fletcher. I am mostly declining ... how should I reply ?

Hey !

I got an email from an admissions committee member, that he was one of the people who read my profile and was impressed by my work experience and academics and looks forward to meeting me at Fletcher. I am mostly declining ... how should I reply ?

what are you going to narrow down on? I dont think you need to reply. I got the same email.

• 5 months later...