Knoxville, TN

NewVolunteer

I'm going for to visit the department on May 2nd and I can't wait. I only have one day that trip and then I'll be down again two weeks after that to try and find an apartment and all that fun stuff. Still waiting on that official letter and funding notification!

I'm going for to visit the department on May 2nd and I can't wait. I only have one day that trip and then I'll be down again two weeks after that to try and find an apartment and all that fun stuff. Still waiting on that official letter and funding notification!

I went down last week for my interview, and absolutely loved it!! I'm excited =) Do you know when we find out about the funding?? I could really use some! (haha, as we all could!)

I've been doing a little searching on the internet for apartments & such...ehk, I should probably go down & look around though because I want to find the perfect place without too many distractions!

Also visiting soon to meet the department, next week in fact! :D Really excited. I'm trying to visit some apartments while I'm there as well. Based on this thread and other online research, it seems like Ft. Sanders can be a bit dodgy. But when people say "Ft Sanders," what area does this really encompass? Is east of 17th street SW and a couple blocks north of Cumberland an OK area? I can deal with some noise, having down my undergrad at Michigan State :P I'm mostly just concerned about walking home alone at night. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

It seems most people who live off campus commute in their own vehicles. Doing so is a viable option, as there are almost always open metered spaces on the west side of campus ($.25 = 1 hr and 40 mins).

Just wondering if anyone could explain where in west campus the metered parking is? I had a short visit last month but was just in central campus and didn't get a chance to check it out. Just trying to decide on my transportation (bus vs commuter pass and driving). Couldn't find it on the university-provided parking map for some reason.

I'm also going to UT for their M.S. speech pathology program! How neat...we're congregating :-)!

I'm going for MS in speech path too! I'm doing the 3 yr program and starting to look for an apartment/ roommate. I'm hoping to go to Knoxville around the first of June to look for a place. I'm excited to meet everyone!

Yes! There is a place on campus called UTOP. http://recsports.utk.edu/Programs/Outdoor%20Rec/Bike%20Shop/ Aside from there, the nearest bike shops are in North Knoxville, a mile or so away from downtown, in particular Tennessee Valley Bikes.

Is there a place on campus or near campus where you can get your bike fixed, pump your bike, etc.? unsure.gif

The Fort is dangerous for those who are not careful. Just don't walk alone too late, and if you do, just be aware. Most people who get robbed have been drinking or have drugs in their apartment. I lived in the fort for 4 years, walked alone at night, and nothing ever happened to me. The Fort refers to all areas on the other side of Cumberland from campus, from Cumberland to White avenue all the way to Forrest and Grand Street.

Also visiting soon to meet the department, next week in fact! :D Really excited. I'm trying to visit some apartments while I'm there as well. Based on this thread and other online research, it seems like Ft. Sanders can be a bit dodgy. But when people say "Ft Sanders," what area does this really encompass? Is east of 17th street SW and a couple blocks north of Cumberland an OK area? I can deal with some noise, having down my undergrad at Michigan State :P I'm mostly just concerned about walking home alone at night. :unsure:

Hi everyone, and congrats to everyone that is heading to UT--Knoxville is a great place! It's not too large of a city, but there is always plenty to do. As far as housing goes, I would definitely either check out a place in person or have someone you trust go to look at them. The pictures you see on a website are often very, very different from what you actually get. West Knoxville tends to be nicer and safer, but it's a little bit more pricey. There are some robberies, muggings, etc in Ft. Sanders and it is a bit more noisy, but stay aware and avoid walking alone at night and you should be fine. For those living outside of walking or biking distance from the university, just driving to school is your best bet. I tried the bus thing, and it really is a pain. Parking passes for commuters are about $170 for a year, I think. Traffic can be pretty bad at times, but I'm from relatively small towns in Texas, so the traffic in any city seems way worse to me. Biking is pretty difficult here. There are some hills, and it really isn't the most bike friendly city. The cost of living overall is pretty low. My husband and I live in West Knoxville, and our two bedroom townhome is about $700 a month and gas, groceries and utilities don't really take up that much of our monthly expenses.

I'm from Texas as well, and it's not too different here! If anyone has any questions about Knoxville, feel free to message me! :)

• 6 months later...

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has been through or knows anything about the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Ph.D program at UTK. Any feedback on the program, UTK, or Knoxville in general? I am married with two small children, so I am looking for a place to live that is relatively inexpensive and safe.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Welp.....am I the only one moving to Knoxville this year? Anyone out there have any experience with the area? I didn't get a chance to visit the school before I accepted the offer.

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about applying for an MFA, Sculpture degree at UTK. Does anyone have advice? Especially when it comes to finances. I'll be coming from out of state but I read that Tennessee is the one state that doesn't require a certain amount of time before determining in state tuition.

Advice? Thoughts?

• 6 months later...

Bump!

Considering an offer of admission to UTK. I'm leaving the excruciatingly hot and dry southwest. One thing I don't want a lot of is heat. I understand there will be humidity but it seems like the Knoxville area is fairly mild in the summers. Is this right?

If it rained and stormed most of the year, I would be very pleased.  

@ELM616, I did summer school at UT one year--the summers are pretty hot! Plus, Knoxville has a lot of hills, so walking uphill in the heat can suck--you get used to it though lol. However, we hardly hit over 100 and stay  in the 90s, maybe that's cool for you?!

It stays pretty hot into August and early September. Fall and especially winter is very mild. From late Sept to early November you have a mix of spring weather days (60s, 70s & 80s) and some days where it's in the 50s & 60s or colder....the weather is very bipolar! 

I just completed my undergrad at UT, am looking to go to grad school there, and I've stayed in that region (east TN) all my life.

Edited by 2012girl

Hmm ok well 90's isn't cool but it would be a relief from the regular 115 degrees I've endured :wacko: .  I've been researching Knoxville and it seems like a very livable city with lots of parks and trails. I guess you guys call them greenways? Anyway I have a black lab that I think would love Knoxville, so we'll see!

• 4 weeks later...

Where is considered a "safe" side of town to live?  Apartments that are good, or is Apartment Res Hall good?  I'm a grad student and I look like I'm fourteen, so not looking forward to walking around some shady places in the evenings.

All of the areas are generally safe - I wouldn't say it's a particularly high crime city. There will be some burglaries around the area called The Fort - it's basically the neighborhoods around the university. This is also the area where a lot of the undergrads live, so I think that contributes to crime. Other than that, I have not heard anything negative about other aspects of the city. East and North Knoxville tend to be lower-income communities, and so might have fewer grocery stores /entertainment. There are some really good bars in these areas though haha.  Apartments are cheaper, and there will be a lot of cute little houses for rent at a decent price. West Knoxville is more gentrified, and the apartment complexes are newer and more expensive. There are some differences with schools in the neighborhoods - if you have kids and that is something you're thinking about. I actually live in West Knoxville and found my apartment on craigslist. It was more matter of convenience - I was moving from a different part of the country and couldn't visit ahead of time. However, I wouldn't have an issue living in any parts of the city, except for The Fort, but that's more related to partying undergrads, not crime. Feel free to pm if you want more specific info. 

^^I cosign everything  sociology said, the stuff about the Fort Sanders area is very true. Every time UT sends out Alert Texts it's usually about some mess happening in that area.

About Apartment Res Hall...I dont know it UT has sectioned out floors for grad students, but ultimately I feel like most of their housing is catered to undergrads if that matters to you. Andy Holt Apartments are much older and dated, plus you have four roommates and have to share a bedroom with one. I know they advertise having apartments where you can have your own room and only one other roommate but those are very limited. Students try to get into Volunteer Hall since it's much nicer and you'd have your own room, but it's hard to get into...not sure if grad students have priority or floors sectioned off. They have pics on their website of the locations.

Good luck!

I wouldn't live in The Fort as a grad student. You would be around a bunch of rowdy undergrads, and the safety of the area has really decreased in the last few years. If you're willing to drive, there are some good apartment complexes in West Knoxville/Bearden, and I know a number of people who rent houses in North Knoxville. I wouldn't really suggest East Knox safety-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all thanks for the all help above. I started looking and it appears like I can find decent two-bedrooms for around $500-$550 / month. As I'm not too familiar with the area and pricing.  Does this sound like a reasonable price for you all that are more familiar?  Obviously most of us are on stipends or limited funding so I'm not trying to have rent eat too much of my take-home.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sociology, I just messaged you!

Also if anyone else cares to chime in, I have a few questions from a prospective student:

1.How is traffic in Knoxville?  Is it as bad as people say it is?  I am from the Northeast where aggressive driving, trafficking congestion, and poorly designed roads and towns are the norm.  Would really like to be out of this environment for grad school.

2.Where would be a safe, convenient location to campus with a vehicle, and decent place be to live, with like minded grad students.  The eternal frat party "on campus" does not seem like a productive living environment and is one I would highly like to avoid.

3.Are there any dangerous areas in Knoxville that should be absolutely be avoided?

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Where do most of the grad students live? I'd like to meet other grad students outside of my department, so I don't wanna be way out in North Knoxville if all my friends are gonna be living in West Knoxville or vice versa.

Also does UTK have  a lot of social mixers for grad students? Where is the best place to meet grad students outside of my own department? (maybe best suited for the meet and greet thread but this one is more active)

• 2 weeks later...

Graduate students live all around Knoxville. Really, I don't think there's a single place they are congregated. Even if you are living in one area and more of your friends live in a separate part, it doesn't take more than 20 minutes to really get anywhere. People in my department are really spread out over North, South, and West Knoxville - not too many in the East, but I don't think there's a specific reason for that. It just depends on their wants - more shopping, a yard, a house, local schools for kids, etc. 

The Graduate Student Senate has 2-3 socials per semester. I believe they are planning for two orientations for the upcoming year to take place in August. One for all incoming graduate students, and one for GTAs. This past year there was only one for GTAs, and it was really lousy. A friend from my department sits on the GSS board and says they are trying to plan more events for grad students next year. There's a fb page if you want to look it up - I don't think it's particularly active this semester though.