Knoxville, TN

NewVolunteer

I'm starting school in Knoxville in the fall and I'll be moving with my wife and our 4 pets (she has two cats and I have two dogs and so put it altogether and we have a lot of pets). I'm looking for apartments that are pet-friendly and don't have a limit of just 2 pets. We would ideally like to be closish to Market Square if possible, but all suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Hi Cass,   

I don't know how helpful I can be about pet friendliness, but I went to UTK for undergrad so I can help with neighborhoods. Sounds like you want to be pretty close to downtown. UTK is definitely a commuter campus, and though many people ride bikes around, it's not bike friendly at all. It's relatively easy to find some parking close to campus if you choose somewhere that'd you'd need to drive to campus. It's going to be nearly impossible to be super close to market square, those apartments aren't really for rent or are crazy expensive. A lot of grad students live in the Fourth and Gill neighborhood---farther away than the Fort (the area just north of campus) but also a lot quieter and away from the ruckus of the undergrad scene. Definitely avoid east Knoxville. It's shady. Well, I'd even avoid the Fort if you want to live somewhere your wife will be comfortable walking around alone at night. South Knoxville (Chapman Highway area) might be a good option for you too. Now that the Henley Street Bridge is FINALLY open again, its just a couple of minutes away from downtown, and you might even be able to find a cheaper house to rent for all of those pets. Or maybe Cherokee Ridge Apartments?  I know they're pet friendly. Feel free to ask me any questions about Knoxville. I've lived here 23 years.

Hi, 

We were actually in Knoxville for a few months while I had an internship there. I went out early and she came a couple months in and we left the cats in the care of my sister so we were within the pet-limits of my current apartment. We were actually living in the Fort, which we loved but the apartments there do have pet limits and it definitely seemed to me more under-grad friendly. We've heard good things about Fourth and Gill, but still finding pet-friendly housing is difficult. The only pet-friendly place we've found that doesn't have a limit is on Gay Street, which is decently pricey (although, coming from Boston, even those apartments seems cheap) but we could probably manage it if we really need to and if anything is available. But, I'd still like to have more than one option and, while we could probably be sneaky about the cats since they're indoor cats and don't tend to make much noise or scratch furniture, I'd rather not risk it. 

Anyway, thanks for the advice/info. I will check out Cherokee Ridge and some more places in Fourth and Gill for sure. I think my PI lives in South Knoxville so I might avoid that. She's a great boss, but I don't really want to run into her while I'm walking my dogs. 

Realize that when it snows driving is impossible. Also market square gets extremely loud and rowdy. its a great place in terms of safety but there are down sides.

Edit: I commuted to Knoxville every weekend to visit a gf for two years.

Edited by SpencerSpencer

Can anyone recommend any apartment complexes by name that would be good for grad students? Preferably somewhere that's not filled with rowdy undergrads? I'd like to try and visit there sometime this week and it'd be convenient if I could look at some places. I'd also like to not have to drive a great distance from campus if  don't have to but then again I don't know much about the town. 

Thanks in advance!

I lived in Knoxville previously and still live close by. There are several luxury apartments that are specifically for students like The Commons so I would avoid those. Undergrads live all over Knoxville but I would say quite a few are in the Fort Sanders area. I would also say there are a lot of undergrads across the river in the apartments on Cherokee Trail. Basically, the further you get from campus the less likely it will become you'll end up living around a bunch of undergrads.

I lived in Sunchase on N Cedar Bluff for a year. There weren't a lot of students, but I would avoid the place due to poor insulation (high electricity bills) and bugs. I know someone who lived in Cross Creek, which is on the better side of Western Avenue, and she liked it. Later she moved to Steeplechase (North Knoxville) and didn't like it as much but it was okay. 

I would suggest checking out http://www.knoxvilleapartmentguide.com/ and just narrow down the options based on location, amenities, and price. Good luck!

I'm not worried about rowdy. I've lived in various parts of Boston for the past 3 years and I grew up just outside right next to the runway of a small airforce base. I'm used to city noises and Knoxville, even Market Square is no comparison. I actually can't sleep if it's too quiet, which is definitely a factor in my decision making. I'm also not worried about snow. I know the south is less prepared, but I know how to handle bad conditions. 

Anyway, still, if anyone knows of specific places that allow more than 2 pets I would definitely appreciate the info.

Can anyone recommend any apartment complexes by name that would be good for grad students? Preferably somewhere that's not filled with rowdy undergrads? I'd like to try and visit there sometime this week and it'd be convenient if I could look at some places. I'd also like to not have to drive a great distance from campus if  don't have to but then again I don't know much about the town. 

Thanks in advance!

I've lived at the Briarcliff apartments out in West Knoxville for two years. It takes me ~20 minutes to get to downtown/campus area. It's pretty quiet in my building, and I've only had positive experiences with the management. 

Thanks in advance!

Did you end up finding anywhere nice?  I'm planning to visit this weekend and would love to get a start on looking around for places to live.

Also, have you heard anything yet on funding?  (I was also accepted to the SLP program so we may be classmates!)

Did you end up finding anywhere nice?  I'm planning to visit this weekend and would love to get a start on looking around for places to live.

Also, have you heard anything yet on funding?  (I was also accepted to the SLP program so we may be classmates!)

I actually didn't get to visit. :(  

The secretary tried hard to schedule me in for a last minute visit but it didn't work out because they were all busy preparing for the accreditation council to come this week. 

I haven't heard anything about funding yet, that's really what I'm waiting on. I probably won't get to go if I don't get a scholarship or something like that so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully we'll hear something soon! :D

• 2 months later...

I will be moving to Knoxville to attend UT as a grad student this August. My studies will be quite intense and I'm thinking of selling my car, living right near campus and biking where necessary.

I'm looking for advice re: whether anybody has heard of these complexes that I have already identified. I currently live in Oregon and would like to line a up a place to live before coming over here. 

I am aware of the warnings re: crime in the Fort. However, I'm fairly street smart. I plan to bike to campus and generally not take part in the ruckus. 

Here are the complexes:
16th Place Apartments, 1543 Highland Ave
Barclay House, 161 Laurel Ave
Highland Terrace, 1319 Highland Avenue

If anybody has general advice about living in the area, I'm all ears. I still have my car, so it's not too late to re-consider keeping it and living in a different part of town. With the Publix opening up and the campus so close, though, I don't see much of a reason to.

If other MS Analytics enrollees read this, please contact me, too.  
Thanks for the advice!

I will be moving to Knoxville to attend UT as a grad student this August. My studies will be quite intense and I'm thinking of selling my car, living right near campus and biking where necessary.

I'm looking for advice re: whether anybody has heard of these complexes that I have already identified. I currently live in Oregon and would like to line a up a place to live before coming over here. 

I am aware of the warnings re: crime in the Fort. However, I'm fairly street smart. I plan to bike to campus and generally not take part in the ruckus. 

Here are the complexes:

16th Place Apartments, 1543 Highland Ave

Barclay House, 161 Laurel Ave

Highland Terrace, 1319 Highland Avenue

If anybody has general advice about living in the area, I'm all ears. I still have my car, so it's not too late to re-consider keeping it and living in a different part of town. With the Publix opening up and the campus so close, though, I don't see much of a reason to.

If other MS Analytics enrollees read this, please contact me, too.  

Thanks for the advice!

Please don't buy into that "Fort Sanders is dangerous" myth. After spending some time in dorms, I finished my undergrad in the fort. I can understand girls not wanting to walk around alone at night, but then again I think people, especially women, should always be careful at night near universities. Every once in a while there is a small robbery. You shouldn't have to worry about your stuff being stolen or anything like that.

It looks like most of your classes will be in HBB (I'm assuming since you're in analytics), so all three of your apartment choices seem like excellent choices. You won't have to walk up "The Hill" to get back home, but you will have to walk up a significant hill (there are a great number of hills on campus in case you haven't visited). Barclay House is at the top of this hill and right next to Laurel Hall, an apartment-style dorm for upperclass undergrads. There is a luxury apartment complex across the street as well. This is so close to campus many people don't even really consider it the Fort.

In order to get to the other two complexes, you will have to walk up the hill I mentioned and down the other end of it. 16th Place is almost as good of a location as Barclay, but not so much. Both 16th Place and Barclay are easily accessible from the UT campus bus system that we all use to avoid the hills (once you learn it, i promise you'll love it).

Highland Terrace is a little further than the other two, but still not a bad choice.

I'm not sure of the rates, but if all three are around the same price, I'd probably go with Barclay personally (I actually considered living there because they allow pets, but told me no on my rottie) because it's the closest and probably 'safest' given the location. 16th place just doesn't look as nice to me and Highland Place is a few more blocks away.

Regarding bike vs. car: Honestly, you're close enough to walk to your classes and you can take the T bus to anywhere else on campus. You don't have to have a bike, but it could come in handy (primarily because that Publix is not going to be walking distance). There is a free trolly that takes you downtown. I don't own a car and many people I know don't own one. Your biggest struggle will probably be grocery shopping because public transportation in Knoxville is atrocious. The Publix and new Walmart going up will be on the outskirts of campus, so you'd have to be a brave one to walk that with groceries. 

Sorry if I'm too vague (I'm on my tablet). Please feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Edited by Whatishistoryanyway

• 9 months later...

Bump.

I just got accepted to UT Knoxville and it's my top choice. Anyone have experience with the MSSW program?

Also, I'm interested in campus life. I went to a small liberal school - how big is the campus? I'm familiar with OSU campus and it's just too big! And more importantly- I'm hoping theres a good stock of outdoor people :)

Bump.

I just got accepted to UT Knoxville and it's my top choice. Anyone have experience with the MSSW program?

Also, I'm interested in campus life. I went to a small liberal school - how big is the campus? I'm familiar with OSU campus and it's just too big! And more importantly- I'm hoping theres a good stock of outdoor people :)

Hey there,

Don't know anything about the MSSW program, but I can tell you about Knoxville in general. Currently live here and I really like it. I also came here for graduate school. This is my second year so I'm still learning things about the area, but I can tell you quite a bit.

Its hard for me to say how big the campus is. Its big. Big enough to have an excellent bus system that is strictly for students at no charge. But if you're in Henson Hall, then you'll be across the street from the bookstore and student union, close to the library, and close to pretty much everything you need and you'll probably never need to take the bus, unless you don't feel like walking to the gym.

Knoxville is very outdoorsy! Lots of hiking to do out here for sure! I'm sure by now you know the smokey mountains are about an hour away to the east, cumberland mountains about an hour to the west and there are lots of lakes to play in during the summer! My first spring here, I went up to cades cove and just drove around the loop with some friends and we say 4 black bears!

By the way when you say OSU, are you talking about Oregon State or Ohio State? Cuz if you're from Oregon I have a hunch you'll love it here and it will remind you of Oregon a lot.

Anyway, ask me what kind of info you're looking for and I'd be happy to help. I remember how excited I was when I moved out here.

Hey there,

Don't know anything about the MSSW program, but I can tell you about Knoxville in general. Currently live here and I really like it. I also came here for graduate school. This is my second year so I'm still learning things about the area, but I can tell you quite a bit.

Its hard for me to say how big the campus is. Its big. Big enough to have an excellent bus system that is strictly for students at no charge. But if you're in Henson Hall, then you'll be across the street from the bookstore and student union, close to the library, and close to pretty much everything you need and you'll probably never need to take the bus, unless you don't feel like walking to the gym.

Knoxville is very outdoorsy! Lots of hiking to do out here for sure! I'm sure by now you know the smokey mountains are about an hour away to the east, cumberland mountains about an hour to the west and there are lots of lakes to play in during the summer! My first spring here, I went up to cades cove and just drove around the loop with some friends and we say 4 black bears!

By the way when you say OSU, are you talking about Oregon State or Ohio State? Cuz if you're from Oregon I have a hunch you'll love it here and it will remind you of Oregon a lot.

Anyway, ask me what kind of info you're looking for and I'd be happy to help. I remember how excited I was when I moved out here.

Thanks so much for a response. :) I LOVE hearing about the outdoors, and have friends in Chattanooga.

I meant Ohio State University- which is HUGE. I'm so in love with Tennessee and everything around campus. I'm from the north, and lived in both the south and midwest and I'm a little worried about "how southern" the campus feels. When I previously lived in the south I was happy on campus, but going to far off campus was difficult for me but it was in the boonies and a very poverty perished town so maybe not the best gauge of living in the south. 

How is the school? So far I have found admissions  and my program people to be helpful and friendly. I worry with a bigger campus that professors office hours will be tighter and it's harder to form relationships with them- do you find this to be true? Also, do you find UT to be a party school? Or does it calm down a lot with the graduate students.

Thanks so much!!

Thanks so much for a response. :) I LOVE hearing about the outdoors, and have friends in Chattanooga.

I meant Ohio State University- which is HUGE. I'm so in love with Tennessee and everything around campus. I'm from the north, and lived in both the south and midwest and I'm a little worried about "how southern" the campus feels. When I previously lived in the south I was happy on campus, but going to far off campus was difficult for me but it was in the boonies and a very poverty perished town so maybe not the best gauge of living in the south. 

How is the school? So far I have found admissions  and my program people to be helpful and friendly. I worry with a bigger campus that professors office hours will be tighter and it's harder to form relationships with them- do you find this to be true? Also, do you find UT to be a party school? Or does it calm down a lot with the graduate students.

Thanks so much!!

When I moved out here I had no idea what to expect. I had never visited and my experience with the south was a few visits to Arkansas. I was worried it would be a lot like Arkansas and super southern. By southern I mean, super conservative, religious, racist, and lots of strip malls with little to no character around the town. 

I have been pleasantly surprised since the day I got here. Not only does Knoxville have lots of character, but people are a lot more liberal than I would've ever expected. Now I come from Oregon originally and have lived up and down the west coast and I came here after 4 years in Las Vegas. So I tend to be very liberal, and outdoorsy. That being said, I have felt very welcome and at home in Knoxville. I feel like people are health conscious, outdoorsy, fairly liberal, and dare I say even a tad bit "crunchy". If it were not for the occasional southern accent, I would not even remember I was in the south. When you get here you'll eventually see bumper stickers that read "keep Knoxville scruffy" and it really is a scruffy little town. It's hard to explain why it is referred to a scruffy town, but you'll understand when you see it.  It has sort of a mix of industrial, southern, Appalachian, mountain, feel to it. I also love the weather here, but that's a whole 'nother story.

The summer nights are fantastic too. The night is warm and a little muggy, but there are fire flies everywhere and you can hear the cicada's in the trees. I don't know about you, but we don't have Fire Flies out west, so I had never seen them! I arrived here in mid-july and I was a little in shock coming from Las Vegas. When I left Las Vegas it was 120 degrees, bone dry, and I was used to seeing nothing but sand and desert rocks. I get here and its extremely green, pouring rain, in the mid 80's and I felt like I was in cambodia, haha!

Anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem forming relationships with the professors. Most of my professors prefer to be on a first name basis with their students and really treat you as more of a colleague. I've never had a problem with accessibility either, they're for the most part very accommodating.

I think UT is a pretty major party school, but that is really an undergraduate thing. I don't know any graduate students that are into partying. Most graduate students simply don't have time to party even if they wanted to.

Hope this helps! 

When I moved out here I had no idea what to expect. I had never visited and my experience with the south was a few visits to Arkansas. I was worried it would be a lot like Arkansas and super southern. By southern I mean, super conservative, religious, racist, and lots of strip malls with little to no character around the town. 

I have been pleasantly surprised since the day I got here. Not only does Knoxville have lots of character, but people are a lot more liberal than I would've ever expected. Now I come from Oregon originally and have lived up and down the west coast and I came here after 4 years in Las Vegas. So I tend to be very liberal, and outdoorsy. That being said, I have felt very welcome and at home in Knoxville. I feel like people are health conscious, outdoorsy, fairly liberal, and dare I say even a tad bit "crunchy". If it were not for the occasional southern accent, I would not even remember I was in the south. When you get here you'll eventually see bumper stickers that read "keep Knoxville scruffy" and it really is a scruffy little town. It's hard to explain why it is referred to a scruffy town, but you'll understand when you see it.  It has sort of a mix of industrial, southern, Appalachian, mountain, feel to it. I also love the weather here, but that's a whole 'nother story.

The summer nights are fantastic too. The night is warm and a little muggy, but there are fire flies everywhere and you can hear the cicada's in the trees. I don't know about you, but we don't have Fire Flies out west, so I had never seen them! I arrived here in mid-july and I was a little in shock coming from Las Vegas. When I left Las Vegas it was 120 degrees, bone dry, and I was used to seeing nothing but sand and desert rocks. I get here and its extremely green, pouring rain, in the mid 80's and I felt like I was in cambodia, haha!

Anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem forming relationships with the professors. Most of my professors prefer to be on a first name basis with their students and really treat you as more of a colleague. I've never had a problem with accessibility either, they're for the most part very accommodating.

I think UT is a pretty major party school, but that is really an undergraduate thing. I don't know any graduate students that are into partying. Most graduate students simply don't have time to party even if they wanted to.

Hope this helps! 

WOW. First off, thank you for such a detailed response. Secondly, what beautiful writing skills you have I seriously could imagine the town through your description.

That sounds amazing. Everything you described are my exact ideals. I definitely could fall on the "crunchy" spectrum myself and what you described would be my picture perfect campus and town. The program and the school sound absolutely amazing...

I really appreciate you taking the time to writing such a thoughtful response. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Considering UT for grad school in the fall.  From what I have read, it looks like West Knoxville is the place to be.  I want a nice, safe, newer area with plenty to do around.  Either apartments or condos most likely.  Anyone have specific apartment or neighborhood recommendations? 

WOW. First off, thank you for such a detailed response. Secondly, what beautiful writing skills you have I seriously could imagine the town through your description.

That sounds amazing. Everything you described are my exact ideals. I definitely could fall on the "crunchy" spectrum myself and what you described would be my picture perfect campus and town. The program and the school sound absolutely amazing...

I really appreciate you taking the time to writing such a thoughtful response. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Haha no problem! Like I said, I'm glad to help, I remember how excited I was when I moved out here.

Considering UT for grad school in the fall.  From what I have read, it looks like West Knoxville is the place to be.  I want a nice, safe, newer area with plenty to do around.  Either apartments or condos most likely.  Anyone have specific apartment or neighborhood recommendations? 

Hello. I personally live in the Bearden area, which is close to campus. The location is fantastic! There is a greenway which runs from my apartments (well across the street from my apt) all the way to campus. If you're not familiar with the greenway, it is a paved bicycle/walking path that runs through the city. I often ride my bike from my apt to campus via the greenway and I only have to cross two streets the entire way. It's about a 3 mile bike ride that takes me 15-20 minutes.  I live in huntington place apartments. Quite a few grad students live around me. It is also within walking distance to the Bearden Beer Market, which is a surprisingly nice place for some light studying. The drawback is that the buildings are old and you're mostly paying for the location. I pay $545/month for a one bedroom. But two bedrooms go for only $650 if you can find a roommate. 

If you'll be living alone and have a car, you might want to think about Londontown Apartments. My friend lives there and they are one of the best deals in town. One bedrooms are $575/month and the buildings are pretty new. These are also considered to be in the bearden area actually, but a little too far to be within biking distance to campus in my opinion. 

Anyway there are lots of options in Knoxville and housing is generally pretty cheap. If you can find a roommate your options will improve dramatically as there are some really nice apartments along the river, close to both downtown and the campus which are affordable with a roommate, but tend to be a bit too pricey for a one bedroom on a grad student budget.

If you have specific questions let me know. It is a nice break from studying for me ;)

Hello. I personally live in the Bearden area, which is close to campus. The location is fantastic! There is a greenway which runs from my apartments (well across the street from my apt) all the way to campus. If you're not familiar with the greenway, it is a paved bicycle/walking path that runs through the city. I often ride my bike from my apt to campus via the greenway and I only have to cross two streets the entire way. It's about a 3 mile bike ride that takes me 15-20 minutes.  I live in huntington place apartments. Quite a few grad students live around me. It is also within walking distance to the Bearden Beer Market, which is a surprisingly nice place for some light studying. The drawback is that the buildings are old and you're mostly paying for the location. I pay $545/month for a one bedroom. But two bedrooms go for only $650 if you can find a roommate. 

If you'll be living alone and have a car, you might want to think about Londontown Apartments. My friend lives there and they are one of the best deals in town. One bedrooms are $575/month and the buildings are pretty new. These are also considered to be in the bearden area actually, but a little too far to be within biking distance to campus in my opinion. 

Anyway there are lots of options in Knoxville and housing is generally pretty cheap. If you can find a roommate your options will improve dramatically as there are some really nice apartments along the river, close to both downtown and the campus which are affordable with a roommate, but tend to be a bit too pricey for a one bedroom on a grad student budget.

If you have specific questions let me know. It is a nice break from studying for me ;)

THANK YOU for this great response. everything I was wondering :) I will look up those places and areas... I like the idea of the greenway.  I will have a car, but I would like to have something like that near by.  If I think of more questions or officially decide to go here I'll let you know if I have any more questions.... good luck studying! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I've accepted my offer as a grad student in the Fall 2015 and am in need of some guidance of where to live. I want to live pretty close to campus, within a 20 minute walk preferably, and I want to live in a 3-4 bedroom place that is furnished. I don't want to live in the Fort to avoid the rowdy undergrads. I've heard good things about Downtown and West Knoxville. Does anyone know of some good places?

Hello everyone.

The rent is cheaper in Knoxville than most cities in the US, which is really nice. If you want to be really close to campus there are a lot of houses and apartments in the Fort Sanders area. From anywhere in the Fort, it is only at 5-10 minute walk to campus. There are a lot of nice houses, a lot of very livable houses, and a lot of houses that are in terrible condition. Nearly every undergraduate lives in the Fort, so it can be a loud party scene.

If you move out of the Fort, rent gets even cheaper. Assuming you want to be away from the undergrad party scene, a lot of people live in North/South Knoxville. There are not a lot of apartments, but you can rent multibedroom houses on the cheap. These houses tend to have yards and parking, so it is really nice. If you move west of campus, things can be pricier, but there are also a lot of nice options. In my opinion, renting a house is the best option. It can be cheap, and you get so much more than apartment for the same price. 

Downtown is starting to get a lot of new loft-style apartments. If you are interested in that, look at Sterchis Lofts and a few others. Downtown Knox is suprisingly fun, so living there could be nice. The 4th and Gill neighborhood just outside of the downtown area has a lot of Victorian style homes that are usually in great condition and rent for cheap. If you search craigslist for housing downtown you will get results for immediate downtown area, the Fort, North Knox, South Knox, and some West Knox. 

If I've repeated any information, I apologize. Just wanted to give my input. Best of luck on the search! And welcome to Knoxville. It's a great city with a fun music culture, lots of outdoor activities, and awesome people.