It seems unfair to ask applicants to wait this long for a decision

I've been accepted at one, wait-listed at one, rejected at two, and am waiting for any word from SEVEN. I applied to eight schools total last year, and by this time I had heard from all but one. I wonder what's going on this year!

hello everyone!

It seems unfair to ask applicants to wait this long for a decision. i've been accepted to three schools and am waiting to hear from 5 or 6. It's hard to organize visits without knowing the dates of the recruitment events!

Maybe this is just the bitterness in me, but it seems unfair that you would post how traumatic it is that you're still waiting on schools when you have been accepted to three already. Some people are waiting to hear back from a lot more, some people have only been wait-listed, while others have only been rejected. Count your blessings that you have some acceptances. It could be a LOT worse.

Hey Lolopixie! Sorry this season has been rough so far. I'm rooting for you to get an acceptance, or two, or three, or however many you're waiting on! as time progresses, but I think everyone is dealing with different kinds of frustrations and stresses right now. Let's all try to keep things upbeat since here on grad cafe is, for many of us, the only place where we can commiserate with people who understand what we're going through and try to get enough encouragement to stay sane through this whole anxiety-ridden process. Unicorns, rainbows, and sunbursts all around!!!!

Edited cuz it's embarrassing for an English person to spell commiserate as commisserate. . .oops.

Edited by lyonessrampant

From what I've heard the number of applicants this year is exceedingly high due to the slumping economy. Seems like we're all in the same boat. Sorry folks, we're just gonna have to wait it out :[

Edited by pinot noir

Maybe this is just the bitterness in me, but it seems unfair that you would post how traumatic it is that you're still waiting on schools when you have been accepted to three already. Some people are waiting to hear back from a lot more, some people have only been wait-listed, while others have only been rejected. Count your blessings that you have some acceptances. It could be a LOT worse.

I had an entirely unsuccessful round of applications last year, so I know exactly how you feel. It is 100% true that the whole thing is MUCH less stressful after just that one acceptance.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, lolopixie and courtniep. Yeah, the waiting is much easier when you have at least one acceptance to sit on, and I've stopped grumbling (and am truly grateful) since I got that *one* acceptance about 2 weeks back. Hope you guys get one soon as well! :)

Wow, I am very happy to see this thread - not that I like seeing people so anxious, but I thought I was the ONLY person left who has yet to hear from MANY schools (7 in my case). I have assumed some rejections but am trying to keep up hope. I was happy to receive an e-mail from SUNY Buffalo today... I had assumed rejection from them, but I was assured that although I applied for the PhD program, my application is still being considered amongst the MA applications. Right now, this comes as great news to me. Let's all try to remain as optimistic as possible, ok? Of course it sucks to feel like we are completely in the dark, and we attempt to analyze the results posted here (e.g. someone received admittance to U Iowa, so I must be rejected...) but maybe schools just are not organized this year and are taking longer.

Soooo let's all meet in some virtual bar and take virtual shots and try to relax and have some fun during this horrible anxious time.