Jump to content
Guest guest

Atlanta, GA

Recommended Posts

On 30/4/2016 at 9:06 AM, AP said:

Expensive, but possible. Emory has a great service of shuttles and park-and-rides, so look into that. Because Emory has the hospital there, there are a lot of parking decks, but they are pricey... :)

Hi, I have been accepted for a Phd Program at Emory, by expensive parking do you mean how much for a regular month of attendance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Any one could answer how much does it cost to rent  a 1 bedroom apartment near to Emory?

Edited by Diego Rojas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Diego Rojas said:

Hi, I have been accepted for a Phd Program at Emory, by expensive parking do you mean how much for a regular month of attendance?

 

18 hours ago, Diego Rojas said:

Hey guys! Any one could answer how much does it cost to rent  a 1 bedroom apartment near to Emory?

Diego, a good option always is to contact grad students in the area. I am familiar with Emory because my bf goes there (he graduates this May, yay!). The first year he was there he lived on a 1B but with help from a college fund his parents had. I don't live in Atlanta but asked him about your query:

"Around Emory there are many apartments but it is best to get a roommate. Rent for a 1B can be $1100 and for 2B $1300, so the price-per-person decreases a lot. I know people go to Campus Crossings the first year, especially international students or people who couldn't come to Atlanta to rent an apartment in the summer. I think they are furnished. In my second year, I moved in with a friend in my cohort but I know of people who used the Emory off campus platform to find roommates. Apartments that I know people have lived in: Highland Lake, Highland Square, Campus Crossings, Post-Briarcliff, Emory Woods (oldish, cheaper), Williamsburg, Montclair, President Park (horrible, don't go there), Wood something on North Druid Hills Rd, those from the top of my head. 

I didn't use parking, only occasionally ($12 per day), I used the shuttles. But I think there is a website with the pricing (maybe parking.emory.edu or something like that)." 

Hope it helps! and congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AP said:

 

Diego, a good option always is to contact grad students in the area. I am familiar with Emory because my bf goes there (he graduates this May, yay!). The first year he was there he lived on a 1B but with help from a college fund his parents had. I don't live in Atlanta but asked him about your query:

"Around Emory there are many apartments but it is best to get a roommate. Rent for a 1B can be $1100 and for 2B $1300, so the price-per-person decreases a lot. I know people go to Campus Crossings the first year, especially international students or people who couldn't come to Atlanta to rent an apartment in the summer. I think they are furnished. In my second year, I moved in with a friend in my cohort but I know of people who used the Emory off campus platform to find roommates. Apartments that I know people have lived in: Highland Lake, Highland Square, Campus Crossings, Post-Briarcliff, Emory Woods (oldish, cheaper), Williamsburg, Montclair, President Park (horrible, don't go there), Wood something on North Druid Hills Rd, those from the top of my head. 

I didn't use parking, only occasionally ($12 per day), I used the shuttles. But I think there is a website with the pricing (maybe parking.emory.edu or something like that)." 

Hope it helps! and congrats!

Thank you very much I will follow your advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 3:41 AM, Diego Rojas said:

Hey guys! Any one could answer how much does it cost to rent  a 1 bedroom apartment near to Emory?

The website says that it's around 675 dollars per year for enrolled students or employee. Hope it helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, i know its been a year and you might not read this, but could i ask you which website or apartment you're referring to? I see most of the apartments near the school is priced high as much as over 1000dollars for a studio or one rm+one bathroom... and i thought that's a monthly rent. E.g. viridian by cortland, highland square, woodland, ...

I don't need to live in well furnished place and dont mind a small space but i want it to be real safe (gated doors or something equivalent)...

Of course people who have insights on this are also invited to the discussion... your help would be much appreciated. I m a country pumpkin never left my parents house before lol.

Edited by purifieddrinkingwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping- I'm moving here this summer to attend Emory. I'm slightly older than a freshly minted undergrad, and will be bringing my husband with me (no kids though). Any advice for house buying/townhome renting in the various burbs would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is Georgia Tech's graduate student housing (10th and Home and the Graduate Living Center)? How does it compare to renting an apartment in Midtown - financially and otherwise?

Being an international student from a country that is very underrepresented at Georgia Tech, I'm very inclined to want to try the graduate housing to meet new people. It would also be nice to live on campus so that I don't have to buy a car and I can get the whole university experience. I don't mind walking a lot.

I lived in a university residence for 4 years in my undergraduate school (even had to share a room with someone for three years) so I'm quite used to living with other people I don't know well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, not sure where to ask these kinds of questions, so I'm just posting here. So I've already accepted an offer to Georgia Tech, but it seems to be really hard to find housing for 3 people. My roommates and I are going crazy trying to find available apartments and I just wanted to ask if anybody knew of good apartment complexes to try and contact, whether we're looking for housing too early (some leasing agents told me July is a better time to know what availability looks like), etc. Thank you so much for any help or advice y'all may have! One other question, though, does anybody know about the Point at Westside apartments also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi, not sure where to ask these kinds of questions, so I'm just posting here. So I've already accepted an offer to Georgia Tech, but it seems to be really hard to find housing for 3 people. My roommates and I are going crazy trying to find available apartments and I just wanted to ask if anybody knew of good apartment complexes to try and contact, whether we're looking for housing too early (some leasing agents told me July is a better time to know what availability looks like), etc. Thank you so much for any help or advice y'all may have! One other question, though, does anybody know about the Point at Westside apartments also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I have been accepted into GSU for an MS program and I have never been in the US before as I am an international student. What is the recent price for rent for a room in 2 bedroom or a room in 3 bedroom apartment, the bathroom can be shared and I would prefer it to be furnished. Is there any area I should look at that is close to or easily commutable to GSU, also is there a site where I can search for apartments at least to have a feel of what I would encounter. I would also appreciate your thoughts about cost of living in general and the way of live in Atlanta. Looking forward to your response. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, DataAnalyst said:

Hello, I have been accepted into GSU for an MS program and I have never been in the US before as I am an international student. What is the recent price for rent for a room in 2 bedroom or a room in 3 bedroom apartment, the bathroom can be shared and I would prefer it to be furnished. Is there any area I should look at that is close to or easily commutable to GSU, also is there a site where I can search for apartments at least to have a feel of what I would encounter. I would also appreciate your thoughts about cost of living in general and the way of live in Atlanta. Looking forward to your response. Thanks 

I currently live in Atlanta so I might be able to help a bit!
GSU is in downtown Atlanta, which is not the greatest area, and I personally wouldn't advise living there. If you won't have a car you can take MARTA to get around (not the greatest option, but it's not terrible). I would advise living northwest of GSU, towards the Midtown area, and just choosing an apartment by a MARTA stop, but Midtown is definitely a more expensive area to live in. Living east of campus towards Inman Park or the Fourth Ward would also probably be nice, but I'm not sure about the pricing in that area.

I can only speak about pricing in Midtown as that's where I've lived, but two bedroom apartments are generally around $2000 (unfurnished). It's definitely way cheaper the farther you go from the city center. I've always used apartments(dot)com for apartment hunting here. You can put in your area of interest and price range and most places have a lot of photos. Just take the reviews of places with a grain of salt, I haven't found a lot of them to be true.

Overall I think Atlanta is a nice place to live and the cost of living isn't bad! If you have any specific questions feel free to message me. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Renalee said:

I currently live in Atlanta so I might be able to help a bit!
GSU is in downtown Atlanta, which is not the greatest area, and I personally wouldn't advise living there. If you won't have a car you can take MARTA to get around (not the greatest option, but it's not terrible). I would advise living northwest of GSU, towards the Midtown area, and just choosing an apartment by a MARTA stop, but Midtown is definitely a more expensive area to live in. Living east of campus towards Inman Park or the Fourth Ward would also probably be nice, but I'm not sure about the pricing in that area.

I can only speak about pricing in Midtown as that's where I've lived, but two bedroom apartments are generally around $2000 (unfurnished). It's definitely way cheaper the farther you go from the city center. I've always used apartments(dot)com for apartment hunting here. You can put in your area of interest and price range and most places have a lot of photos. Just take the reviews of places with a grain of salt, I haven't found a lot of them to be true.

Overall I think Atlanta is a nice place to live and the cost of living isn't bad! If you have any specific questions feel free to message me. Good luck!

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the response. I would let you know if and when I have specific questions. Warm regards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, lanaabear said:

Reviving this thread! Recommendations for apartments within walking distance to Emory?

Could you find one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, could you guys recommend a neighborhood (or a specific apartment) where I can easily commute to both Georgia State and Emory? My wife and I will start PhDs at those universities. Although we are planning to have a car, I would like to have public transportation options (MARTA, school shuttles, etc.). I found Inman Park and Downtown Decatur convenient based on my Google maps research :D

Which one do you think is better: renting an apartment before or after arriving in the US (probably at the beginning of August)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.