Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

I'm trying my best to stay positive. I know that by the end of the admissions process, both my programs end up admitting twice as many as they enroll (the data on their websites say so). Statistically this is good for me. I'm just trying to stay patient as I wait on April 15 to roll around! It's tough, but I'm hopeful that the closer we get to that date, the more people will be able to post here that they were successful in getting off a waitlist.

I'm in a similar position, only with regards to funding. I've been admitted to my safet school with funding as well as one of my top choices where I'm waitlisted for funding. Of course the safety school wants to know of my decision by April 15th but I may not hear a funding decision from my top school until after the 15th. Kinda stressing me out, any advice?

I've been waitlisted at my top school. It sucks. The worst thing about it is while I've heard stories regarding people getting in off the waitlist, I haven't heard anything about getting funded after getting in off the waitlist.

But prove me wrong, if you can.

I'm in a similar position, only with regards to funding. I've been admitted to my safet school with funding as well as one of my top choices where I'm waitlisted for funding. Of course the safety school wants to know of my decision by April 15th but I may not hear a funding decision from my top school until after the 15th. Kinda stressing me out, any advice?

Honesty. Only way to go. I would think they'd understand your dilemma....

You dont't think I'd be burning some bridges with my safety school? What happens if I dont get funding at my top-choice and I show up to my safety like nothing happend?

I've been waitlisted at my top school. It sucks. The worst thing about it is while I've heard stories regarding people getting in off the waitlist, I haven't heard anything about getting funded after getting in off the waitlist.

But prove me wrong, if you can.

I'm waitlisted for admission and funding in two programs. If I get in, I'm funded.

Edited by jmacnomad

You dont't think I'd be burning some bridges with my safety school? What happens if I dont get funding at my top-choice and I show up to my safety like nothing happend?

Well, choose your words carefully when you ask for an extension at your safety. You need an extension because you need a more "fulsome picture of your opportunities" or something. If this is truly a safety, I think they would be used to be waiting for their top applicants to decide. The reality is that everyone applies to several schools and it's a process to pick one because there are so many things to consider -- I should hope every school understands that!

This is interesting because I've been wondering what to do if I get an offer from George Washington University at the end of May...that's right the end of May. How am I supposed to do this? GW is my dream school, but I absolutely cannot decline all other offers. Well, just yesterday I received an unofficial acceptance to George Mason (my safety school). I should get my packet next week. And I'm still waiting to hear from American University. Theoretically, even after accepting the offer from either of these 2 schools my decision will be an easy one, should I get an offer from GW, I'm taking it! However I have a big issue with financial aid, I'm dependent on it. Let's say I get into American and I accept, they start the whole financial aid process and I get my loans and they're all ready for me. What happens to that aid if I check out of American at the end of May? I asked over at GW if I'll have a problem getting loans so late in the game and was told that I would not, but I didn't ask what would happen if I have financial aid already from another school.

Edited by Mal83

This is interesting because I've been wondering what to do if I get an offer from George Washington University at the end of May...that's right the end of May. How am I supposed to do this? GW is my dream school, but I absolutely cannot decline all other offers. Well, just yesterday I received an unofficial acceptance to George Mason (my safety school). I should get my packet next week. And I'm still waiting to hear from American University. Theoretically, even after accepting the offer from either of these 2 schools my decision will be an easy one, should I get an offer from GW, I'm taking it! However I have a big issue with financial aid, I'm dependent on it. Let's say I get into American and I accept, they start the whole financial aid process and I get my loans and they're all ready for me. What happens to that aid if I check out of American at the end of May? I asked over at GW if I'll have a problem getting loans so late in the game and was told that I would not, but I didn't ask what would happen if I have financial aid already from another school.

This happened to one of my friends and I'm not sure if you're actually supposed to do this, but she put a deposit down on the school she actually got into just to hold her spot and is still waiting to hear from her dream school. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'm afraid I'll be in the same situation soon..whatever you choose to do, good luck. =)

This happened to one of my friends and I'm not sure if you're actually supposed to do this, but she put a deposit down on the school she actually got into just to hold her spot and is still waiting to hear from her dream school. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'm afraid I'll be in the same situation soon..whatever you choose to do, good luck. =)

I mean I'm not sure how I feel about it either, but the bottom line is I have to do what's best for me because no one else will. I'm sure schools deal with this sort of thing all of the time. There are just too many factors and sometimes deadlines aren't going to mesh. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thank you for providing "a forum for hope!"

My application had been "Under Review" for nearly a month, so I finally called the department and learned that I was first on a ranked wait list. I am pleased to report that I just received a personal email of acceptance from the chair of my doctoral program.

I believe that God has a plan for each of us and that we'll end up exactly where we're meant to be! Although I'm not particularly religious, my mother reminded me to have faith during this challenging time. She reminded me that "faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen."

Best wishes to all of you who as you transition from "waitlisted" to "accepted!"

Thank you for providing "a forum for hope!"

My application had been "Under Review" for nearly a month, so I finally called the department and learned that I was first on a ranked wait list. I am pleased to report that I just received a personal email of acceptance from the chair of my doctoral program.

I believe that God has a plan for each of us and that we'll end up exactly where we're meant to be! Although I'm not particularly religious, my mother reminded me to have faith during this challenging time. She reminded me that "faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen."

Best wishes to all of you who as you transition from "waitlisted" to "accepted!"

Congrats Socdoc and thanks for sharing the hope!

Just thought I'd add another happy ending - I didn't get any first offers, but I was accepted off the wait list at one of my top choices last week, and I'm very happy to say I accepted the offer :)

Just thought I'd add another happy ending - I didn't get any first offers, but I was accepted off the wait list at one of my top choices last week, and I'm very happy to say I accepted the offer :)

Thanks for adding this post and congrats to you! I'm sure you're breathing a sigh of relief! Good luck!

i got onto the waitlist at UW-Seattle. I heard they only admitted.waitlisted 40% of their 950 applicants. they only accept around 150 seats for the fall. They did not tell me anything about it being ranked. They said that if get i get rejected I will be notified in September......that is such a long time away.

I have another school I applied to so i will secure my spot there if I get in no doubt.

I sent UW an email, a hard copy letter of intent expressing my interest and recent endeavors as well as my updated transcripts. hope it helps.

and yes, waitlist is so much better than a reject. they would have let us in if there were not other applicants who already filled in the spots.

I am mad that they did not have a early admissions because I sent mine in back in october. if they did it by how early someone applies, I might have gotten in and not waitlist.

Either way, I am grateful and just hoping that I get in. I don't feel like a failure now that I am on their waitlist :)

we shall be successful <3

GWU's Elliott School of International Affairs had 2,100 applicants, they accepted 350. I have no clue how many they offered a spot on the waitlist though.