Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

@Mal83 - Thanks for the response, and no I was only contemplating it a tad. You just know that way you get so fed up you just want to do something to shove it in their face purely to see their reaction. Childish I know, hehe. My only problem with the delay is that I'm over in the US come June anyways for a lab/work thing, and was hoping to hear back from them before that to try and get visas and stuff sorted. Won't happen that way now though.

Hah, Scotland is nice for sure, and the weather has been pretty great recently. However, there is absolutely no PhDs in the field I want to study and I have as good a chance as getting funding in the US as I do here. Doesn't bode well when you think like that.

@spinnergal - Its a great story, and I really hope it happens to me as well!

hello all. i posred about getting off the wailist at UW for their MSW.

well, I was accepted at SUNY buffalo for their MSW!

their MSW is half the tuition price compared to UW :)

debt: 50 k UW vs 30 k SUNY? I will choose 30 k debt thank you very much.

So i sent UW my intent to NOT enroll today.

Anyone on the the UW MSW waitlist will take my place!!!!

Congrats to whoever gets it!

Removed from the wait list at Yale. Apparently all of their first round offers accepted. Well, I guess I'm going to start searching for jobs in NYC and making more work!

Here's to whenever I reapply.

Congrats to those getting off that waitlist! That's exciting, it really is. I contacted my 1st choice program yesterday about their waitlist, they just started looking at on the 1st and will get back to us by the 21st which I already knew but just had to see if I could get any more info out of them...but nothing as of yet. The lady said that they don't have any news to report yet but will let me know as soon as possible. I guess if they didn't have any spots to fill she would have said as much...right?

@Eschaton....that really bites, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll find work soon, in NYC at least the opportunities are abundant.

bumping.

Over 3 weeks since I was wait listed. No ranking, no time frame, nothing. All they gave me was the email of the PhD Program Coordinator.

Do I contact them again? What do I ask?

I just want to know they didn't forget about me, and how much longer do I have to wait for the final decision.

bumping.

Over 3 weeks since I was wait listed. No ranking, no time frame, nothing. All they gave me was the email of the PhD Program Coordinator.

I just want to know they didn't forget about me, and how much longer do I have to wait for the final decision.

Have you contacted the PhD Program Coordinator yet? If not then that's what I would do now. You've got nothing to loose by asking for a time frame or if they've reviewed your file. Maybe impress upon them that you're an international student and have a lot of decisions to make...I don't know something like that. Plus include in the email to the PC that you are still very committed to the program...I don't know if that helps, but it certainly won't hurt. I did the same thing in an email to admissions regarding my waitlist status and they said thanks for confirming your interest...not that that means anything but a lot can happen with applicants between the time of getting on the waitlist and then admissions getting around to accepting them, so they want to know that they're offering to applicants who still really want to attend. Someone posted a few days ago that they got accepted off the waitlist at my dream school and they declined immediately...I'm glad they declined, but from an admissions stand point, that was a real waste of an acceptance, I would think that an applicant who is in touch with them and confirming their interest is more likely to take advantage of an offer.

bumping.

You're waiting on York right? I finally got word last week.

After getting nowhere with the coordinator, I contacted the program DIRECTOR- the next day I got an unofficial offer, two days later my online application said "admitted".

Contact the director.

You're waiting on York right? I finally got word last week.

After getting nowhere with the coordinator, I contacted the program DIRECTOR- the next day I got an unofficial offer, two days later my online application said "admitted".

Contact the director.

Yes, York.

Congrats!

I contacted the Dean (my POI), who referred me to the Graduate Programs Recruiting and Liaison Officer, who told me I'm wait listed and referred me to the PhD Program Coordinator - who's in charge of the wait list - in case I had any questions.

I might take your advice, or maybe contact both.

Thanks!

Yes, York.

Congrats!

I contacted the Dean (my POI), who referred me to the Graduate Programs Recruiting and Liaison Officer, who told me I'm wait listed and referred me to the PhD Program Coordinator - who's in charge of the wait list - in case I had any questions.

I might take your advice, or maybe contact both.

Thanks!

Awesome, let us know what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Holy...moly....it happened, I got in off the waitlist to my dream school. I just started to not care anymore and I was satisfied with where I was going, I figured that by now, the day of the deadline of when they said they'd get decisions out, that I would just find the expected reject email. NO! That's not what I got. I check my email first thing in the morning on my ipod because I use it as an alarm clock and the internet pops up in seconds, I mean I'm looking at email even before I make it into the bathroom. I saw the school name in the sender column and was in a flash seeing a "Congratulations!" I was so shocked I could barely say anything other than..."I got in to GW" with my hands clasped to my face. My mother thought I was sleepwalking and also having a nightmare at the same time. Then I had to extract myself from the other school I committed too long ago...for all those who are in the same dilemma and are worried about doing the same thing, it was really quick and painless. I sent the program coordinator and financial office the "due to unforeseen circumstances my plans have changed dramatically and for very personal reasons have to rethink my situation, I just need to withdraw from the school and have already dropped my classes" email. I got responses back in about 2 hours that were basically "Ok, We're sorry you can't attend, best of luck to you." And the rest is history and I'm now going to the school I've dreaming about for who knows how long now. Thank god I didn't have to send a deposit to the other school yet. I just can't get over it, I'm still shocked and I got the news 16 hours ago.

Congrats! smile.gif I'm happy for you.

...Meanwhile, it has been a week since I sent the last email to the program coordinator, asking about my status on the wait list - and I didn't even get a response! angry.gif

I am so beyond freaked out. They didn't even bother to reply to my email!

Very soon I will need to commit to my plan B (already got two job offers awaiting my reply), and I feel completely lost and out of my mind.

Congrats! smile.gif I'm happy for you.

...Meanwhile, it has been a week since I sent the last email to the program coordinator, asking about my status on the wait list - and I didn't even get a response! angry.gif

I am so beyond freaked out. They didn't even bother to reply to my email!

Very soon I will need to commit to my plan B (already got two job offers awaiting my reply), and I feel completely lost and out of my mind.

Thanks! have you tried contacting contacting the program director yet? you should tell them you need to know now.

OK, now I am officially being TORTURED by this program:

So after sending all these emails, and after not getting any response to the last email in which I asked about my status on the wait list, I sent yet another email stating (very politely) that I really need to know. And here's the response from the PhD Program Coordinator:

"I have been holding off responding pending a final clarification from our Associate Dean. In principle, our quota for international students is filled, but there is a very small chance for more 'room'. I hope to have this confirmed shortly"

I am now going to write once again to the Dean who's also my POI, just to make sure they're all on the same page over there.

I can't believe this is not over yet!

OK, now I am officially being TORTURED by this program:

So after sending all these emails, and after not getting any response to the last email in which I asked about my status on the wait list, I sent yet another email stating (very politely) that I really need to know. And here's the response from the PhD Program Coordinator:

"I have been holding off responding pending a final clarification from our Associate Dean. In principle, our quota for international students is filled, but there is a very small chance for more 'room'. I hope to have this confirmed shortly"

I am now going to write once again to the Dean who's also my POI, just to make sure they're all on the same page over there.

I can't believe this is not over yet!

Wow, hope they get around to figuring out if they can "squeeze" you in. I wish they wouldn't use the word "quota" it sounds so corporate and impersonal. Aren't you tired of the ambiguity in these emails? Like what do they mean by "shortly?" To me that word means within a few hours, but to them who knows...a few days...a week? Well anyway, hopefully a decision gets to you very shortly.

Well, that's the end of the line for me - at least for now.

Got an email saying that their efforts to "squeeze" me in have failed, and that I was a very close second, and that they encourage me to re-apply next year.

Then another email from the Dean also encouraging me to re-apply.

I will now turn to my plan B, with some job offers awaiting my decision.

And I am definitely applying again next year!

Until then - best of luck for all.

Well, that's the end of the line for me - at least for now.

Got an email saying that their efforts to "squeeze" me in have failed, and that I was a very close second, and that they encourage me to re-apply next year.

Then another email from the Dean also encouraging me to re-apply.

I will now turn to my plan B, with some job offers awaiting my decision.

And I am definitely applying again next year!

Until then - best of luck for all.

Well at least you know now, no more waiting...that's great you have a few job offers..best of luck!

I was on a waitlist for one program up until a week ago (May 21st or so). This may be due to the extremely small size of the program (Finance Ph. D. programs typically accept 1-3 students a year), but the lesson is don't lose hope! And as the Cubs' mantra goes: "There's always next year."

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got off the waitlist today, from NYU-Steinhardt, dietectics. =)

Accepted I mean, after contacting someone in the program :).

Hey Congrats!! sometimes all it takes is a little poking and prodding for information...best of luck!