Boren 2011-2012

jg33

The general consensus is that the email asking for updates was an indication that your application moved on from the regional selection process to the national nominated committee. If you go back a few pages you'll see a little debate that ensued. That being said, nothing is for certain as of this point. When the awards are announces hopefully we can put this to rest!

I wish I had clicked on this link earlier! I thought it was just for Fellowship applicants.

I applied for a Boren Scholarship to study in Istanbul, Turkey, next year. I haven't received any emails asking about updates - as an undergrad should I be worried, or is this just for the fellows?

Hopefully they'll tell us soon! I've been checking the Boren Twitter/Facebook pages and my email for updates every time I turn around.

Thank you for this much needed comic relief amidst awaiting letters from Boren and finals....!!!!

And for the information!

In regards to the peace corps discussion and trips back home to the US. PC provides comprehensive health care coverage that in most circumstances you can request to have it treated in the US on PC's dime. So if you get home sick and funds are low just break your arm or try to contract hepatitis.

I feel like this was already covered but can we get a consensus of what undergrad scholarship applicants got follow up emails from Boren?

I didn't receive any email and pretty much figured I did not get past regional, but I feel like they would have contacted the outright rejections already...no?

Also I dont know about everyone else buy my advisor in international programs at my school has been pretty much zero help so this forum has been such a relief!

My advisor proofread my essays and helped me with logistics. She has been very supportive. She also screened me initially with an interview. I had to start preparing my application in August 2010 because of my year abroad. She is an English Phd and teaches classes and also oversees all of the other scholarships too. I've heard some schools have interview committees. My university study abroad office is great too. Its been tough getting it completed though from the Middle East. I'm still concerned that my destination, Syria, might kill my chances in light of the deteriorating political and civil conditions. The Boren people related that Syria wasn''t off the table yet but that was before this most recent travel warning. For many of us, our destinations may be our downfall. Given the number of applicants to Egypt and Syria from last year, I assume there's a similar number this year; all of the applications were submitted before those countries crossed the Rubicon, so most of the Arabic applicants are in the same boat...I'm hoping that they keep the proportionate slots for arabic and let some of us defer (if we get chosen) or select another Middle Eastern country or both. Syria appears to be getting worse and Egypt isn't getting better. Worrying about it is like paying interest on a debt you don't owe. Let's all hope for the best.

Edited by riverguide

When did Boren staff say "Syria wasn't off the table?" After April 4th but before the travel warning on the 25th?

I think Boren wants the best applicants so given that we didn't know what would come to pass at time of application, I don't think they could not give us an award IF (big if...) ours were the most qualified....

My advisor proofread my essays and helped me with logistics. She has been very supportive. She also screened me initially with an interview. I had to start preparing my application in August 2010 because of my year abroad. She is an English Phd and teaches classes and also oversees all of the other scholarships too. I've heard some schools have interview committees. My university study abroad office is great too. Its been tough getting it completed though from the Middle East. I'm still concerned that my destination, Syria, might kill my chances in light of the deteriorating political and civil conditions. The Boren people related that Syria wasn''t off the table yet but that was before this most recent travel warning. For many of us, our destinations may be our downfall. Given the number of applicants to Egypt and Syria from last year, I assume there's a similar number this year; all of the applications were submitted before those countries crossed the Rubicon, so most of the Arabic applicants are in the same boat...I'm hoping that they keep the proportionate slots for arabic and let some of us defer (if we get chosen) or select another Middle Eastern country or both. Syria appears to be getting worse and Egypt isn't getting better. Worrying about it is like paying interest on a debt you don't owe. Let's all hope for the best.

I feel like this was already covered but can we get a consensus of what undergrad scholarship applicants got follow up emails from Boren?

I didn't receive any email and pretty much figured I did not get past regional, but I feel like they would have contacted the outright rejections already...no?

Also I dont know about everyone else buy my advisor in international programs at my school has been pretty much zero help so this forum has been such a relief!

In columns N, O, and P of the spreadsheet, the number of applicants who received follow-up emails, the total number of applicants, and the percentage of applicants who received email updates are shown, respectively.

So far... Overall, 12 out of 20 applicants received follow-up emails, which is 60% of the applicants. For scholarship applicants, 4 out of 6 applicants received follow-up emails, which is 66.7 % of the applicants. For fellowship applicants, 8 out of 14 applicants received follow-up emails, which is 57.1% of the applicants.

I'm not a MENA applicant, but I had a situation at my uni that meant I couldn't turn in some of the application materials. I emailed them and told them about it and they were extremely accomodating and helpful and I did receive the "follow up email"... I think they want the best applicants and will help out anyone who applied to a MENA country that for some reason or they other they can no longer go to.

When did Boren staff say "Syria wasn't off the table?" After April 4th but before the travel warning on the 25th?

Yes and the CET program was still in Aleppo. But that changed in a heartbeat on the 13th. Welcome to the real world:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hHu4_2Phtkw

Those are pro government demonstrators.

Edited by riverguide

I inquired about how current political situations affect decisions back when Egypt was at the peak of it's political unrest a couple of months ago and got an email back saying:

"The selection committees will not take the current situation in Egypt into account when making recommendations. If you are recommended for an award, and Egypt is not a viable possibility for study, we’ll work with you to find another program."

They've confirmed multiple times throughout my discussions with them that they base the decisions on how meritorious the applicant and their packet is.

I inquired about how current political situations affect decisions back when Egypt was at the peak of it's political unrest a couple of months ago and got an email back saying:

"The selection committees will not take the current situation in Egypt into account when making recommendations. If you are recommended for an award, and Egypt is not a viable possibility for study, we’ll work with you to find another program."

They've confirmed multiple times throughout my discussions with them that they base the decisions on how meritorious the applicant and their packet is.

Thanks for posting this. I guess my major concern is that if for some reason we don't get Jordan (and at this point I really need to advance my Levantine dialect in Syria which hands down is the best country of all of them to develop advanced fluency skills) then that leaves us with the African countries and their dialect is of very limited use in the Middle East. My preference, if selected, would be to defer until spring 2012 when hopefully Syria and Egypt will have stabilized. There's an outstanding summer immersion program also at AUB called CAMES.

Edited by riverguide

Some good news Egypt applicants! I got this email from AUC today. Hopefully this means our schools won't cancel the program!

"We are pleased to tell you that today the U.S. State Department reduced its guidelines for travel to Egypt from a warning to an alert, which is a significant difference.1 In its announcement, the State Department specifically acknowledged the “continuing improvements since the January 25 Revolution.” It stated further that “given that Egyptian security services have not yet fully redeployed, the Department alerts U.S. citizens planning to travel to Egypt to the possibility of sporadic unrest.” The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has resumed normal operations. The announcement can be read in its entirety on the U.S. State Department’s website. The link ishttp://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_5443.html.

Now that the travel warning has been lifted, many of our partner schools can resume study abroad programs at The American University in Cairo. AUC continues to accept applications for the summer session and the fall semester. We look forward to welcoming students to AUC and Egypt for a front row seat to history in the making.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Wesley Clark

Director of North American Admissions and Financial Aid"

ughhhh I've never before wanted a weekend to pass by fast. Didn't think it was possible, but this weekend is craaawling.

Who thinks we'll find out tomorrow? Do you think they have a set time of day that they like to send the email (like NSF does?)

I wish we had a larger sample size (20 people is not very much especially with a mixture of scholarship and fellowship applicants). Won't Boren publish similar statistics after a while?

I hope we hear from them tomorrow. Either way if I get the scholarship or not I leave for Siberia in 29 days!!!

Zaikar, are you a summer applicant?

Yeah, they do publish statistics. From last year's statistics the chances of getting the scholarship are like 14%. Unfortunately those statistics don't include whether winners of the award were contacted about their financial info.

I pretty much need to know whether I got it or not as as soon as possible because the application due date is may 13, and there's no way I can afford it without the Boren scholarship, so I'm only applying it I get it.

Edited by StephanieM

Zaikar, are you a summer applicant?

Yeah, they do publish statistics. From last year's statistics the chances of getting the scholarship are like 14%. Unfortunately those statistics don't include whether winners of the award were contacted about their financial info.

I pretty much need to know whether I got it or not as as soon as possible because the application due date is may 13, and there's no way I can afford it without the Boren scholarship, so I'm only applying it I get it.

Yes, I'm a summer applicant. The costs are the same weather I stay at my university to get the credits or not. If I do receive the Boren Scholarship I will stay for the fall semester, otherwise the fall would be too expensive.

And it definitely has been frustrating waiting to hear from Boren because I've had to register with Novosibirsk State University, pay them, book flights, get my visa, and all that kind of stuff already without knowing if I got the award because the deadlines were so much sooner and processes like getting the invitation for a visa take several months.

A suggestion for Boren is to make the Summer apps due earlier and notify us earlier!

i'm a fellowship applicant for brazil - also struggling with the suspense! i hope they send notice by email tomorrow...the uncertainty is making it hard to concentrate for finals! good luck everyone

Edited by brazilia

Yeah you're lucky to go to Moscow. I fly through Moscow and have to pass customs there to get to domestic terminals at Sheremetevo to fly to Tolmochovo and I messed my visa up. I planed to arrive in Novosibirsk on June 1 when my visa is valid for and didn't consider needing to pass into Moscow. Now I'm jumping through hoops to extend my visa for one day...