Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

I got the full grant to Kyrgyzstan.

My heart is beating so fast. There is a tiny pocket of joy in Cubicle-land today. I literally cannot believe it. I keep checking the email to make sure it's real.

Congrats!

And thank goodness for more notifications today. The dry spell (real or imagined) was depressing!

agreed! I have a feeling it is not this week as well.

No! I know Jermaine said end of the month, but did he really mean end of the month (Monday). I am convinced we'll hear this week. I actually bet we'll hear Thursday because that is when I start my comprehensive exam, and the world's cosmic energy is willing me to be distracted in some way. Of course my exam lasts until next Tuesday so I guess with the previous logic we could hear any one of those days.

This forum has been helpful and supportive during this waiting process. Much thanks to everyone, and good luck! Come on SSA!

Hi everyone:

I just accepted a job offer with the National Park Service today. It literally was one of the hardest choices of my life. Since I have put so much time and effort into the application and into this forum I feel almost like I am giving up. I wish there was a way to able do both, but I know that's not possible. So, I decided to choose a paying job over the Fulbright. I hope I made the right decision. If anyone has some words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi everyone:

I just accepted a job offer with the National Park Service today. It literally was one of the hardest choices of my life. Since I have put so much time and effort into the application and into this forum I feel almost like I am giving up. I wish there was a way to able do both, but I know that's not possible. So, I decided to choose a paying job over the Fulbright. I hope I made the right decision. If anyone has some words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

whaaaaat? congratulations! I definitely see how this was a tough decision, but I don't think you're giving up! If you think it was best it's probably a really really good decision. Sorry I dont have much advice lol... I accepted my teach for america offer but I will definitely defer it if I get the Fulbright. Good luck with your new job though :D

whaaaaat? congratulations! I definitely see how this was a tough decision, but I don't think you're giving up! If you think it was best it's probably a really really good decision. Sorry I dont have much advice lol... I accepted my teach for america offer but I will definitely defer it if I get the Fulbright. Good luck with your new job though :D

Thanks oa0176! Maybe I am look for consolation more than advice. I really wanted to go Turkey and I also was looking forward being part of the Fulbright community. In any case, I think I did make the right choice since I have also been working towards a job with the Park Service for many years.

Carribean/C.America folks: Damn! Am I the only one who is suprised we haven't heard back yet? I thought we were supposed to be hearding last week. Anyone talk/mail Pamela lately?

Carribean/C.America folks: Damn! Am I the only one who is suprised we haven't heard back yet? I thought we were supposed to be hearding last week. Anyone talk/mail Pamela lately?

I'm depressed about it, but I can't say I'm surprised... :(

Wow! So China is past the 2010 notification date and only 5 days away from last year's, but they say they have no idea when?? Well that's just not good at all, is it?

(I know this post contributes nothing, but incredulity loves company.)

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker who has just gotten up the courage to post. I too am waiting on notification for an ETA and am rather restless. The other day, I was told another 1-2 weeks (though the week before I was told that I would hear that very week so I have just given up, totally). It's been really hard waiting, but I'm doing the best I can. I defended my honors thesis weeks ago so I don't have much to do, which doesn't help as it just gives me more time to refresh my e-mail. Over, and over, and over.

To ecpurcell: I had a very similar moment that you did. Recently I learned that I had been holding my apartment for next year too long without a deposit and that I would lose it or lose my expensive deposit, either way (I thought I would know by now, ya know!?). I also got into the #1 grad school for my field with an amazing scholarship and for a long time thought I would turn down Fulbright if I got it. Things changed and I decided that if I got it I would take it, but that's not my point. My point is that everything happens for a reason. You getting that new job that you have been working on for years is a great blessing and you've gotta follow your gut. I admire you for making the tough decision. Many criticized me when I said I might turn down fulbright months ago and it was hard to listen to their opinions. In the end, doing the best thing for you is one of the most liberating moments of life. Congratulations on your job and I wish you the best of luck!

I just want to let y'all know that the comfort that this forum has brought me has been great. I hope that we can all continue to support each other as the final notifications go out. I know I'm gonna need it.

Hey there --

So three years ago I was obsessively checking this account as I waited to hear from Fulbright about a grant to South Africa. I decided to check back in and see how the process is going this year, and tell you I feel your pain, and maybe there's some light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a speeding train).

My story -- I DID get the Fulbright that year, and spent 2010 in SA, and it was probably the best year of my life (though definitely challenging at times -- learning to drive stick shift on the left side of the road, for instance). BUT, that was after being a recommended candidate in 2008, and then NOT getting a grant. Not even being made an alternate. I can't tell you how glad I am that I tried again, after I crawled out from the rock that the rejection put me under. So if you hear no, don't rule out trying again. Seriously, persistence! There's something to be said for it.

And now I'm writing a book (that came out of my time in SA) and looking for a whole new round of fellowships to do that. So it doesn't necessarily end, either, which is maybe something you don't want to hear right now. :)

Anyway, good luck to all, especially SSA STILL waiting -- but Jermaine is awesome, and I'm sure he's tired of the wait too. Congrats to new Fulbrighters, and a totally empathetic "well, that just sucks" to those not selected. Try again! (Also, we got letters in the mail -- and you totally know the answer from the size of the envelope...).

Carry on!

I know!! I'm surprised too.... although I feel surprisingly indifferent when I check my email nowadays (i.e. I don't expect to see a notification email). With that said, my indifference is punctuated with anger at this lengthy bureaucratic process, frustration, anxiety, etc... So at this point, it's just whatever! Also, no - I haven't talked to Pamela... we're going to hear when we hear and to me, it's just kind of fruitless to contact her since her previous estimate of when notifications would go out was so off. I don't think anybody really knows... Ugh...

@ ecpurcell: If you're awarded the grant and don't take it, you can still put it on your CV. A friend of mine was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and that's what the faculty in our department advised her to do. State and federal jobs are the bomb (and super hard to get). Congrats on your achievement!! I applied for a job at the VA twice this year and didn't even get an interview... However, if I had been offered a position there and then offered a Fulbright, choosing between the two would have been tough...

P.S. Congrats SSA people!!

Edited by rtlc06

I know, this is the most stressful day yet! I am also new to the board. I was recommended for a full grant in Tanzania. I haven't been notified yet, but it sounds as though everyone from the region will hear something today...

I'm so sorry for the SSA people who haven't gotten their email already -- that would be driving me crazy, but hold out hope. One way or the other, you know the end of this wait is in sight.

My email came @ 10:44 (Eastern) from Jermaine Jones, Subject: Your Fulbright Candidacy (P)