Study Fetishes

hardcrashxyz

The only writing utensil I use are Papermate Sharpwriter pencils (like these: http://media2.hickorees.com/image/PapermateSharpwriter_L2.jpg). Any other mechanical pencil makes an unpleasant sound to my ears - similar to nails scratching on a chalkboard. Don't bother using pens because I tend to erase quite a bit and don't like to have to scratch things out. 

I actually prefer wide-ruled to college-ruled because my handwriting is pretty big, but I don't particularly mind using college-ruled if its my only option. Let's see, in terms of actually studying, I tend to like it quiet, but in certain cases I can tolerate some noise. What's weird is that while I absolutely cannot have music playing while writing a paper, I have no problem doing math or anything with numbers with music on, especially if it's something that isn't too distracting like classical, jazz, or jam.

One last thing. I don't know if anyone can relate with this, but when I have a big assignment due, I tend to procrastinate by doing other coursework. Like if I have a ten page paper for English Lit due in a couple days, I'll think to myself, "I should really get started on that Diff Eq problem set that's due in a week and a half." Weird huh?

I love this topic! I am the annoying person that needs complete quiet to study. Also, the isn't really a study habit per say...but if I'm going to be studying/writing a paper and devoting a long chunk of time to it, I have to give my room a thorough cleaning. I seriously cannot study or write a paper if my surroundings are messy or unorganized. This might just be my subconscious way of procrastinating smile.gif

I am exactly the same way. Need complete silence, which is why I study better at night (like past 10 PM), when everyone is asleep. I get too distracted when people walk by, even if they are outside and I hear them through the window. I also do have to clean before I can start a paper... and in my case it's definitely a procrastination thing.

My weird "obsession" is that I have to run all my PDF files through OCR. I can't just read it and take notes... it has to be something I can highlight and annotate directly. I even bought a professional OCR program. My sources are mostly in print so I run ALL of them through OCR, clean them up, etc.. Same with scans... Scanned pages have to be deskewed, cropped, etc.. before I will read them... crooked scans drive me insane.

Edited by CageFree

I was introduced to Moleskine notebooks this last year, and now I won't use anything else. I'm also partial to RSVP Fine pens with black ink ONLY! If I'm using notecards, I like the neon ones that are blank on one side and lined on the other. 

When I've made up a study guide, I'll highlight the material I already know and memorize the rest until the entire page is highlighted. I don't care about color or anything (except blues or greens, those are weird). 

I also have to be at a Starbucks with an iced espresso drink of some sort. I need that background noise, but I will occasionally put in some headphones if I'm sitting next to a Chatty Cathy  :) If I'm at home, I'll clean the house, bake, and generally do everything except paper writing and studying!

It sounds bland, but certain music helps me study or write much better. My friend sent me a link a long time ago to some of his mother's music (she sings opera), and it is the only thing that truly calms me while working.

I also can only write on paper tablets, not in notebooks.  This is just because I'm left-handed.

I don't write on the back of pages ever, I need colored ink to color code everything (it also keeps my interest), I have to rewrite all of my notes and I have to do it on loose leaf paper not in a notebook (I am left handed and the spiral rings bother me).  I am just weird about ink pens I need pens where the ink easily comes out.. I can't explain it.  I need total silence, and sticky notes! 

Heartily endorsing Muji. All their stuff is so good. It's just a shame that a lot of the stationery and photo albums and things of theirs that I love are only sold in Japan, so I either have to have friends bring them back or stock up every time I go.

On topic, I have a lot of weird habits, most of which are really just manifestations of my OCD (I have to sit in the same position, I color-code my notes, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

I second the whole Pilot G-2 pen thing. Maybe it's a trick to the eye, but my handwriting looks much better when scribbled from a G-2. 

When studying at home, I try not to look out the window. The outdoors is a strong distraction for me. My interest in it will overpower anything else, so I was never one to study on a grassy knoll in a wood. So, in a cave-like setting, I pick an NPR program for background noise. When I am working with stats, I'll put on Netflix. Maybe "Northern Exposure" or something. I also divide my tasks spanning the day. For example, I do my best stats and data analyses in the evening while early morning is the best time for me to study test material. I procrastinate most during the mid day (noon - 3 pm)

After a while, I will get seriously moody. A long, contemplative walk on a trail (not a neighborhood or busy street!) helps. 

I can write at home but cannot read at home.  I only like to write on grid paper. I need to have eaten before I do anything at all. I need to have at least 2 beverages within reaching distance.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I need to be wearing my "study pants".

If it's too quiet...I just fall asleep.  And I am extremely found of Sharpie pens :)

I can write at home but cannot read at home.  I only like to write on grid paper. I need to have eaten before I do anything at all. I need to have at least 2 beverages within reaching distance.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I need to be wearing my "study pants".

If it's too quiet...I just fall asleep.  And I am extremely found of Sharpie pens :)

We may be the same person.

When I was working on pooling together my thesis findings from the mountain of coding sheets, I used a grid notebook.  I was out of tablets, and while a grid tablet would have been even better, writing on grid paper was satisfying in a way I can't describe! I love the little boxes!

I've also been reading a lot about using only certain kinds of pens here ... I like using the papermate pens that come in a 10 pack for about a dollar.  They have black ink but are dark grey on the outside.  I have them laying around everywhere, and they always write for me!  Other ballpoint pens don't write properly cause of my lefty-ness.