writing to potential professors

MinervasOwl

Hi,

I applied to 4 places last year, got into just one but couldnt go as they don't really fund you in the UK. I was majorly disappointed not to have gotten in anywhere in the US because my Masters is from an American Uni. Anyhow, this year I thought maybe I should write to some professors with similar research interests before I apply. I've gotten pretty encouraging responses, or at least I think they're encouraging- are they just being polite?

One prof said he strongly encouraged me to apply and hoped he could work with me sometime but didn't have any influence on admissions- but he forwarded my mail to the admissions director who forwarded to another faculty member

Another prof forwarded my email to several colleagues, one of whom wrote to me instantly introducing me to another colleague.

A third prof said I had an interesting profile and one of my interest areas was not compatible with the school but another one was.

what shall I make of this? Are they being polite, or should I be more hopeful of better results this year in the admission struggle?

Hi,

I applied to 4 places last year, got into just one but couldnt go as they don't really fund you in the UK. I was majorly disappointed not to have gotten in anywhere in the US because my Masters is from an American Uni. Anyhow, this year I thought maybe I should write to some professors with similar research interests before I apply. I've gotten pretty encouraging responses, or at least I think they're encouraging- are they just being polite?

One prof said he strongly encouraged me to apply and hoped he could work with me sometime but didn't have any influence on admissions- but he forwarded my mail to the admissions director who forwarded to another faculty member

Another prof forwarded my email to several colleagues, one of whom wrote to me instantly introducing me to another colleague.

A third prof said I had an interesting profile and one of my interest areas was not compatible with the school but another one was.

what shall I make of this? Are they being polite, or should I be more hopeful of better results this year in the admission struggle?

Hey - this is GREAT. It's a long, hard struggle to get noticed for grad school. Professors are very busy people who get hundreds of inquiries from potential students every year - they ARE being polite to you, but they seem to be genuinely interested in you as well. Keep communicating professionally and politely with them and be sure to reference any recommendations (i.e. "Dr. Someone recommended that I contact you, pointing out many similarities our research interests."). Also, ask specific questions - people like to share what they know and they love seeing that you've done your research on the program and have interesting questions about them. You could contact the administrators of the programs and ask for guidance - "I applied last year and I wish to strengthen my application so I can attend your excellent program...". These administrators may also be able to introduce you to professors - and they will know who's on the admissions committee.

By the way... even if a prof isn't on the admissions committee, if they like you and you convince them you'd be a great asset to their program, they will make 'noise' on your behalf.

Finally - keep records of who you've talked to from each school. Save yourself the embarrassment of accidentally sending the same professor an introductory e-mail twice.

Just wondering, did you include a CV or resume with your e-mails, or just talked about your research interests? I am also wondering what is appropriate when e-mailing potential professors, also what sorts of things are good to discuss this early on. You seem to have had some very positive responses!

Just wondering, did you include a CV or resume with your e-mails, or just talked about your research interests? I am also wondering what is appropriate when e-mailing potential professors, also what sorts of things are good to discuss this early on. You seem to have had some very positive responses!

Yep, I included a PDFed version of my CV, and highlighted my interests and experiences, drawing parallels with the professor's research interests. I also included a direct question - would you be interested in possibly serving as my faculty advisor? or something like that.

In my fields (philosophy and law) it is entirely acceptable to contact British professors who appreciate prospective supervisees contacting them, but not acceptable to contact American professors (who see it as an inappropriate attempt to manipulate admissions processes). This difference is in part because normally supervisors are assigned immediately in UK departments but only after some time in US departments and US programs typically have a larger taught component.

I believe that they are not just being polite, that they are genuinely interested. It is especially importnat that they forwarded your email to their colleagues: it's a very good sign.

But remember that even a prof is interested, that does not guarantee that you will be admitted. The program might have sudden problems with funding, or a prof who can be your advisor gets ill or something similar. Apply to at least 5 schools from where you've got responses. You got responses from 3 profs, right? I suggest you keep looking. The more schools with profs who expess interest you will find, the higher are your chances.

Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

With contacting profs, would it be best to use your student email if you have one? And for those who don't have one, what type of email address should you use. I am assuming that it is best not to use something that would embarrass yourself.

With contacting profs, would it be best to use your student email if you have one? And for those who don't have one, what type of email address should you use. I am assuming that it is best not to use something that would embarrass yourself.

I think that if you have a student email, it might be better to use it. But you can use any other email address if it does not have a silly nickname in it :)

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add that one professor I spoke to recommended that if its been a while since you got in touch with some professor at a program then you should re-write to them just as you're about to apply- touch base etc. Two professors I had written to earlier continued to show warm interest. Fingers crossed.

how did you write to them? I only got one reply from Stanford's professor.. he said" if you are interested in stanford, please apply through the application system" T_T. but i m really interested in his research!

What do you think the policy is on resending an email after an initial no-response? Should I take the silence as a lack of interest from POIs or consider the possibility my email got lost in the shuffle and resend? This is in regards to my top choice with a professor who has very similar research interests...

If you're just sending an email to let them know you're interested in their work and plan on applying, don't bother resending the email. Faculty are bombarded with emails everyday and some just don't reply to these emails. I sent out a ton of emails to potential mentors and while most faculty did reply, a couple didn't. It doesn't have any bearing on your application status.

If you have have questions about their research, etc. then yeah, you can try sending a polite email again. If you're wondering if they're taking students, you can always trying contacting a current grad student, the office secretary, etc.

What is the general consensus on re-emailing POIs who responded favorably to your initial emails, letting them know that you've submitted your application? I saw one person in this thread touched on this, but I wanted to get more opinions.

If you send an e-mail and get no response you should follow up in a week or 2. I usually forward my original e-mail with a note saying that I'm unsure if your received my initial e-mail so I'm re-forwarding it. I would love to talk to you etc. I've had several professors say that they were glad that I re-mailed because they never received the first one, they were meaning to respond, they were busy with grants etc. My feeling is if you get no response after 3 separate e-mails then it's not worth any further contact.

I never got a reply from Stanford either and ended up not applying- although, that's partly because I'm strapped for funds and can't afford to apply to too many places so I chose places I had heard back from. That said, I think some universities might have a policy of not replying