Using a computer to take notes in grad school?

neuropsych76

I know there have been a couple old threads that talk about note taking, but not specifically the pros and cons of using a computer.

I have awful handwriting and most of my undergrad notes were a jumbled mess of scribbled words and doodling. I'm considering using a computer to start taking notes (or my new IPad and buying a keyboard). No one at my undergrad institution took notes with a computer. I interned at an ivy-league school last summer and EVERYONE took notes with their computer. I'm sure it varies by school but I was wondering what the pros and cons are to using a computer to take notes in grad school classes.

I keep hearing that grad school classes are more discussion based so I wasn't sure if that would be good or bad for hand written notes.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

i started taking notes on my laptop from my undergrad sophomore year and haven't gone back to hand-written notes even once. my handwriting isn't horrible, but i am a fast typist, and i am dead certain that if i were writing down the notes instead of typing, i would have missed a lot of the info. i use any/all of the wordprocessors, name them the day of the lecture and arrange them by directories labeled by their folders, classes, lab or not, and such. the best thing perhaps, of using computers to take notes is the 'search' feature you can use later to dig notes from past semester/s.

if you decide to use a computer to take notes, make sure you back up your data frequently. external HDs are cheap these days. the other day, i was looking at a 2TB for around $100.

starting in my second year of grad school, i switched to taking all my notes on my computer. i'm so glad i did. not only are they legible and therefore actually useful for my comps exams preparation, but they're KEY WORD SEARCHABLE. this has been a life saver. a prof asks a question about a book we read a month ago. everyone else flips through handwritten scrawl, scanning several single-spaced pages of notes, or says "i write my notes in the book and didn't bring it to class." i open a word doc, search a couple terms, and give them the exact page number (and often direct quotations) to answer the question. it's also great for writing papers since you can do a lot of copy and paste stuff rather than leafing through notebooks or texts to find the information you need.

in my program, maybe 1-3 students in every class use a computer, out of 12-15 students per class. a few others will type all their notes for their readings and then print them out and write seminar/lecture notes onto the backs of those pages in class. of this group, a few told me they then type the seminar/lecture notes into the word doc after class. seems easier to me to just bring the computer to class, if you can.

of this group, a few told me they then type the seminar/lecture notes into the word doc after class. seems easier to me to just bring the computer to class, if you can.

BTW I was thinkig of doing it exactly this way. May be I will reconsider. I just don't think that I will be taking that musch notes and bringing my netbook with me every time for that... I am no sure I want to. On the other hand, when I am typing my notes after the class, I will rewise the info this way, which can be useful. But again, may be I will reconsider once classes start, if I see that I am taking lots of notes...

If I'm going to type notes (and granted, it's not always easy in my field), I prefer to type them after the fact from hand written notes. The act of re-writing notes/re-typing notes makes you think about the content, organization, and gives you another chance to cement them in your mind.

I think I'm going to try taking notes using my netbook when I start in the fall. I'm very averse to handwriting notes, since having a digital copy is a lot more convenient in terms of portability and durability (provided that you make sure you have back-ups). My only problem is quickly typing equations, which is why I'm thinking that a tablet might be even better than a netbook for note taking.

Edited by newms

My only problem is quickly typing equations, which is why I'm thinking that a tablet might be even better than a netbook for note taking.

If anyone has any tips/tricks/apps that help with imputing equations and diagrams into a computer format, I'd love to hear it. I am thinking about taking my computer to class to take notes or getting an iPad so I can type and draw diagrams. Does anyone know of any apps that will allow typing and drawing in the same doc?

If anyone has any tips/tricks/apps that help with imputing equations and diagrams into a computer format, I'd love to hear it. I am thinking about taking my computer to class to take notes or getting an iPad so I can type and draw diagrams. Does anyone know of any apps that will allow typing and drawing in the same doc?

Just a thought: and what if when a professor draws an equation or a diagram on the board, you just take a photo of the board?

Edited by Strangefox

Just a thought: and what if when a professor draws an equation or a diagram on the board, you just take a photo of the board?

I'm guessing that that would only work if you were close enough to the board (or had a good lens on your camera to get a good shot) and even then taking photos regularly in class could be distracting for the class. I'm also guessing that this would probably be best done with a tablet device since taking a photo with a camera and then transferring to a laptop/netbook might be too time consuming to do during class (maybe it could be done after class). I've never tried it or seen it done in a class, so I'm not sure how distracting it would be though.

If I'm going to type notes (and granted, it's not always easy in my field), I prefer to type them after the fact from hand written notes. The act of re-writing notes/re-typing notes makes you think about the content, organization, and gives you another chance to cement them in your mind.

This the way I'd go, but it takes so much freaking time! Studies have shown that retention is great with handwritten notes, but again, it's tough to find the time to do so. My handwriting is god-awful too, so another point in the laptop column.

My only worry is that profs will ban laptops in class. Grad students tend to be much more behaved and focused than undergrads, but I've had classes where my fellow students are checking FB on laptops, and then profs ban them. Sucks!

BTW another reason why I would prefer writing notes instead of typing them is because old-fashioned pen and notebook seem more reliable to me. If a pen stops writing I can take another one out of my bag in a second. But what if a laptop slows down for some reason? I will be stuck, trying to make it work normally again instead of concentrating on the lecture! I can of course buy a super quick - and expensive! - laptop but franky I am not sure that is worth it. Only for taking notes? Meh <_<

I use my desk top computer all the time when I am at home. I practically live by it :lol: But I have never used a laptop during a class so I am afraid that it will take me some time getting used to it and while I am taking this time, I will not be concentrating on things the prof is saying. I don't know, may be I am just overanalyzing things, as usually :P

Edited by Strangefox

This the way I'd go, but it takes so much freaking time! Studies have shown that retention is great with handwritten notes, but again, it's tough to find the time to do so. My handwriting is god-awful too, so another point in the laptop column.

My only worry is that profs will ban laptops in class. Grad students tend to be much more behaved and focused than undergrads, but I've had classes where my fellow students are checking FB on laptops, and then profs ban them. Sucks!

Really? Some profs ban laptops in class? For grad students? That's going to take a bit of adjusting for me if I have a prof like that - I'm used to making notes on my netbook during meetings/seminars etc. It seems a little high schoolish to me (at least when I was in high school, long long ago. I bet some high schools allow and even require students to use laptops and tablets in class nowadays).

Edited by newms

Really? Some profs ban laptops in class? For grad students? That's going to take a bit of adjusting for me if I have a prof like that - I'm used to making notes on my netbook during meetings/seminars etc. It seems a little high schoolish to me (at least when I was in high school, long long ago. I bet some high schools allow and even require students to use laptops and tablets in class nowadays).

Didn't say I approve of it! I just know I had some childish classmates on FB, and the prof responded in how they deemed appropriate. When I teach undergrad, I ban laptops and cellphones. While it may seem extreme, I "up my game" and actually have a better discussion and lecture with my classes.

I think it's rediculous to expect this at the grad level, but who knows what'll happen in today's times?

What brands would you recommend?

currently, i own a western digital. it's been 3+ years, and still running strong, hasn't crashed on me even once. but brands such as seagate, toshiba, samsung are pretty good too. if you want a very robust hd, search for solid state drives - very expensive for little memory, but super fast speed.

currently, i own a western digital. it's been 3+ years, and still running strong, hasn't crashed on me even once. but brands such as seagate, toshiba, samsung are pretty good too. if you want a very robust hd, search for solid state drives - very expensive for little memory, but super fast speed.

Thanks!

I get all of the pros to typing notes in class, but does anyone else find the noise of typing kind of annoying? I mean only a few students in my undergrad classes typed notes and the constant clacking on the keyboard was obnoxious. I can't imagine being in a class where everyone is typing at the same time throughout the entire lecture.

As a former wedding photographer with somewhere around 14-16TB worth of drives on various RAIDs, I really only trust WD and Samsung. Seagates are great if you're storing things that aren't important since their price point is great for the consumer market. Toshiba--haven't heard much from them nor have I ever bought their products.

WD Black and Blue drives are a bit more expensive, but I've been really happy with their performance and stability over the years.

I get all of the pros to typing notes in class, but does anyone else find the noise of typing kind of annoying? I mean only a few students in my undergrad classes typed notes and the constant clacking on the keyboard was obnoxious. I can't imagine being in a class where everyone is typing at the same time throughout the entire lecture.

This is one of my pet peeves... I wonder how something like this keyboard cover (which I've never used) would work to dampen the sound of keys?

This is one of my pet peeves... I wonder how something like this keyboard cover (which I've never used) would work to dampen the sound of keys?

yea, the silicone covers do help. i bought some at the same time when i bought my laptop, used them for few years till i wanted my fingers to run across the real keyboard surface. i recommend that you get those on ebay or amazon - you can get a good one for as low as 2$. the first few days, they will feel kinda sticky.

I took notes in class most days with a computer. Most of my seminar style classes didn't require notes, and when they did I brought a paper notebook because staring over a computer screen doesn't foster discussion (and no one else had a computer). For my lecture classes, I brought my laptop, and then I bought a netbook and I would bring that.

The laptop is far more convenient as far as organizing notes goes - I never have to worry about bringing the wrong one to class.

As far as apps, Evernote is a good app. I highly recommend Microsoft OneNote but only for the computer itself. The app requires you to link it to a Live! account, which if you don't have one, kind of sucks because you have to create one. Evernote doesn't make you do that afaik.

OneNote is great because if you have a tablet netbook, you can write equations and draw pictures into OneNote. It also has drawing tools support so I sometimes drew diagrams with that (I usually drew it into a little notebook first, and then reproduced it in OneNote later. It's set up so you can create a different notebook for each class and then a different "page" for each day, so I just numbered mine by the days and then kept them all in one tab. You can also record your class right into the application and have a link to the recording embedded in your notes for that day.

Hmmm, that's interesting, not sure, does it conform to the keyboard at all? I mean you'd have to still be able to feel the keys. But I still just don't like that noise going constantly during classes...I haven't ever typed notes in class and the one time I thought about doing it I decided against it because I didn't want to be the one making that noise. I don't know I might start doing it though if everyone else is...don't want to be the only not cool kid class.

• 2 weeks later...

why dont you just go to class and figure it out for yourself?

how is this actually a topic?

So your other account was banned so you made a new screen name to troll some more? Must be a boring Sunday afternoon...