Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

Being in a vastly different time zone for this process sucks. Just as I'm going to sleep the results board starts ticking but I can't check my email all night. Then I wake up to all these new pages to read trough on the forum. Finally, I keep irrationally checking my inbox all day here, even though I know no self respecting POI is going to email me at 3AM their time. Grrrr.

<-- totally freaking out about having my "unofficial acceptance" rescinded for who knows what reason. Feeling like I won't get in anywhere else. So irrational! :(

Oh no, how awful!! What happened? I'm so sorry :(

<-- totally freaking out about having my "unofficial acceptance" rescinded for who knows what reason. Feeling like I won't get in anywhere else. So irrational! :(

I'm sorry. I think I said earlier I saw that happen a lot in 2009, it was really painful and mostly do to the collapse. Don't let it destroy your confidence.

Hang on. Has this occured, or are you worried about this occuring? If the former, my deepest condolences - that really sucks!

Being in a vastly different time zone for this process sucks. Just as I'm going to sleep the results board starts ticking but I can't check my email all night. Then I wake up to all these new pages to read trough on the forum. Finally, I keep irrationally checking my inbox all day here, even though I know no self respecting POI is going to email me at 3AM their time. Grrrr.

I hear you - I've applied to several programs in the UK, and I'm being driven nuts by the time difference.

No, no, it didn't happen. That's why I said it's irrational. I'm just building stupid scenarios in my head.

Yeah, it's irrational. When it happened in 2009 it basically took the entire economy collapsing in a short time. Still, I knew a half dozen people who had it happen and I wasn't on the internet (at least at a place like this) at the time.

Yeah, it's irrational. When it happened in 2009 it basically took the entire economy collapsing in a short time. Still, I knew a half dozen people who had it happen and I wasn't on the internet (at least at a place like this) at the time.

Yeah... I mean, I know it can happen if say, your GPA is under the minimum, or something else is very weird... I'm not in the first category. I just tend to freak out about these things... I remember the first couple of years at my current school (teaching) I kept worrying about being laid off, even after I was tenured. Every year they talked about pink slips, and every year I started planning for the worst.

I sound nuts, don't I :(

Hahahaha!!! I think that the collective reaction says more about our mental state than it does about any ambiguity in TeachGrad's statement. We are all on many pins and needles......

No kidding. At least I now know I'm not the only one in that mental state.

I never heard from Indiana today. Or any school, in fact. I don't know if I am in or out of the running. :( I think it is causing me to have an upset stomach, too. Meh. I don't want to rush any decisions, though, because I feel like that will push it towards being a negative one (call me superstitious). So, I wait.

Congrats to everyone today, though, that had good news!

Hi everyone! Good luck for the application process! Is there anyone applied for MA degree in Middle Eastern Studies at UT Austin? If yes, have you heard anything about the results?

Yep, I applied. Haven't heard anything yet, though I saw that some rejections were sent out earlier tonight. No news is good news, at this point??

So my library account with my old institution just expired, and I'm unable to access JSTOR for the first time in 7 years............ I need to get in somewhere!

I've been stealing one of my friend's library passwords for awhile. It's probably illegal, but I couldn't get by without it- seriously.

I cannot wait to go to a school where I can access any source I desire on a whim. It will be utterly glorious.

Edited by wikichic

Yep, I applied. Haven't heard anything yet, though I saw that some rejections were sent out earlier tonight. No news is good news, at this point??

Rejected :( Very disappointing.. I don't expect to receive any good news from Harvard or Princeton after UT Austin's disaster.. Probably I should get my masters degree in Turkey and then apply to PhD in the US. Good luck to you and congratulations to everyone accepted!

just an fyi, I re-formatted the admissions list so that now the schools are listed alphabetically, and all of the usernames are 'filed' under the school name...

Conspicuous by their absence on the list were Duke and IU...

anyway, best of luck to all of us today, lets see some first timers get on the admit scoreboard today!!!

Woke up to an acceptance letter from BROWN!!!! Very excited and can't wait to fly there in March to visit the program!!! As of last night, the Brown website only said that a decision had not yet been made. YIPPIE! I hope you all get great news today!!!

The status on applyyourself for Minnesota changed to "final review" this morning... good or bad news will be coming from there soon it seems.

Did anyone besides me apply to Minnesota Twin Cities? I'm really curious.

Woke up to an acceptance letter from BROWN!!!! Very excited and can't wait to fly there in March to visit the program!!! As of last night, the Brown website only said that a decision had not yet been made. YIPPIE! I hope you all get great news today!!!

Awesome news!!! But, how early does your mail get delivered???

UChicago will notify the 20 applicants they have accepted in the next few days. They have 20 fellowship spots this year plus a few fellowships (around 5) through another funding source seeking to recruit students who fall under UChicago's diversity criteria. If you are not offered admission to a PhD program, your application is automatically sent to a terminal masters program and the decision about that will not be made for weeks, so the post about a rejection is untrue.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this but what is their criteria for "minority"?

I never heard from Indiana today. Or any school, in fact. I don't know if I am in or out of the running. :( I think it is causing me to have an upset stomach, too. Meh. I don't want to rush any decisions, though, because I feel like that will push it towards being a negative one (call me superstitious). So, I wait.

Congrats to everyone today, though, that had good news!

I haven't heard from Indiana either, so don't know if that's a good sign or not. Oh, we'll, I guess what happens will happen. :-)

From what I've read, schools consider minority to be anything from a limited number of a particular race studying a field to first person in family to go to college. none of them really define what they are looking for in diversity.

Well thanks for the clarification ... I wonder how many other schools use this process? I would think it could potentially create a sense of "well that's not fair" etc