Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I'm also one of those who got admitted to the University of Chicago today. I received two personalized emails from my POI and from the chair, as I contacted both of them during the application process. They both mentioned that I got a five-year fellowship and that History Day is on the weekend of March 4th-6th. They offer to cover some part of the traveling expenses, but considering that I live abroad, it will probably cover less than half of my plane tickets, so I don't think I will go.

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting! I'd also like to mention that I applied to 8 programs last year and got straight rejections from all of them. This year, I got two acceptances so far, and haven't heard any bad news yet. Anyway, I just want to say that everything is possible, even if it takes more time and efforts than what you were first planning on.

I got my Illinois rejection- I would not have gone there over UW-M, but I dont have confirmaiton of funding at UW either...

so now I have one as-of-yet unfunded admit, one official rejection, one informal 2nd hand-hand rejection (My MA advisor's contact at UNC said I'm a no-go b/c there is no suitable advisor) and one passive rejection (No interview at Yale)...

On the whole, I'm not feelin' so great about things at the moment...

...nows a good time to check out for a bit- I'm takin' a nap!

Hey I just took a nap too. :) *hugs*

Congrats to the Yale acceptances!! I went there for undergrad (and majored in history - shocker!) so I'm happy to answer any questions about New Haven, campus life, etc. Obviously don't know a ton about the grad program though.

Congrats, Chicago admits! Would you be willing to share your subfields?

Do you guys think Chicago is done? Sure seems like it...

Thank you! That was honestly so unexpected. I am planning on specializing in modern European history. I have no idea if they are done sending their acceptances yet, but I hope not and wish you the best.

I haven't posted much, but I also got into Yale! Amazing. I had an interview a couple of weeks ago. My POI called me out of the blue in the evening and said, "Is this a good time to talk?" Umm, yes, I suppose it is.