Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

hey Kelkel me too! It's going to be such a rough 2-3 years. Hang in there. What is the distance going to be?

Right now, it looks like South Louisiana to Ohio. Tiniest chance of LA to Dallas (but if I do get funding for that MA, it will be much less than Miami). It's sooo far away! But I know we can make it work and that it'll be beneficial to us in the long run (you know, it's easier to study when you don't want to cuddle all day :D).

On 2/28/2012 at 9:31 AM, taybaxter said:

My adviser is talking to connections she has at the places where I was rejected and I'm getting great feedback and a lot of encouragements to reapply. Now I really have to decide if I should go to WUSTL or wait and reapply next year...

I would take the sure thing. Who knows what will happen next year and WUSTL is a good place.

On 2/28/2012 at 9:31 AM, taybaxter said:

My adviser is talking to connections she has at the places where I was rejected and I'm getting great feedback and a lot of encouragements to reapply. Now I really have to decide if I should go to WUSTL or wait and reapply next year...

Why not go to WUSTL then reapply next year?

On 2/28/2012 at 10:10 AM, cooperstreet said:

Why not go to WUSTL then reapply next year?

Bad idea.

To apply again once you are in a PhD program, you would need LORs from people in that program. First School would have to be a bad fit in some way--advisor leaving, interests changed, etc. Presumably, one was a good fit at First School upon admission. To want to go to another program w/o a legitimate academic reason is an *instant* way to burn bridges, snub the profs in your field at First School, and so forth. In other words, exactly what you don't want to be doing to the people who will be writing your LORs!

My only admit so far has been to an M.A. program, in the form of a short letter via snail mail with no mention at all of funding. Do you guys think it's okay to email the program coordinator to ask about the possibility of funding or T.A. opportunities?

My only admit so far has been to an M.A. program, in the form of a short letter via snail mail with no mention at all of funding. Do you guys think it's okay to email the program coordinator to ask about the possibility of funding or T.A. opportunities?

Abso-tively! It's what I did with UTD!

32 is young by today's standards (says the guy who will be 39 in 2 weeks)...

My wife has lived in jersey, brooklyn, LA and so. fla. and now i'm fixing to drag her to (hopefully!) madison...she says she's down for it, so we'll see...

btw...I was told, and subsequently reported here, that funding info was coming out of UW-M late last week...looks like my intel was bad...sorry all...

Agreed. I'm turning 35 next week and I'll be starting this fall.

I was also rejected from Penn. No surprise and it didn't hurt a bit. I'm just glad to be able to cross off the schools I know I am getting rejected from. Five down, five to go!

On 2/28/2012 at 11:20 AM, Simple Twist of Fate said:

There's something about this whole interview thing that really softens the blow...

Yeah. I'm waiting until next week when WashU will roll over.

my condolences as well. rough day.

just fyi, my hebrew professor told me that the hebrew and judaic studies department at NYU still hasn't reached decisions, so if any of you applied to the joint program with them and history, the jig is not up yet! (i realize i may be the only one who reads this who cares, but maybe I'm wrong.)