Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

It's definitely intimidating, but remember that you're in and that this professor is interested and impressed by *you*! And he/she is taking the time to talk and answer your questions about the program because the department agrees that you would be a great addition to their intellectual community. It helps you feel less small :)

I totally understand. Its hard to get out of the applicant mentality! This person doesn't seem cocky or authoritative at all, I just want to give my best impression that I can. Webcam would be nice, but they're out of town and don't want to ask too much.

Any thoughts on mentioning that the school is your top choice (only when it really is, of course)?

I'm definitely going to mention that the department attracts me because of the strong match in research interests with the faculty. It really is a perfect fit. And I plan to thank this professor for their interest in my research. I'm sure once we start talking it'll be fine. I just had one experience in a meeting with a POI where he sat down and said "ok what can I do for you?" I would ask a question, he'd answer in 10 seconds and say "OK, next?" BUT, I that was in the fall during the applicant stage so who knows..

I'm sort of trying to anticipate awkward silence kind of moments, but it might never be the case. In person would be so much better but it just doesn't work the weekend of the visit. I've only heard amazing things about my POI. There's just a nagging feeling about having to impress and sell myself so I don't get seen as a mistake. Totally irrational, I know.

Any thoughts on mentioning that the school is your top choice (only when it really is, of course)?

No issue with telling them that - if they've given you the funding information. If they're still working on getting your funding package together, don't mention it in case they give you a lower offer thinking you'll still want to go because it's your top choice.

Hi everyone...anyone else here apply to UNC-CH? I'm waitlisted...bleh. It's my top choice, so I hope I get in! Curious to know if anyone else has been waitlisted, accepted, rejected, etc. or received any other news.

Thanks, and good luck to all!

I was accepted to UNC and will be going there in the fall. Send me a message with any specific questions you may have, although I am an Americanist, so I don't know diddly beyond that world. Good luck!

I was offered admission into William & Mary's American history MA program with some funding. I applied for the PhD program, but I'm still seriously considering this offer. At any rate, it makes me happy to know that W&M wants me on some level :)

Congrats!! May I ask how you found out? You can PM me if you wish.

Of course it sucks. Not a big fan of any music in the 70s in general... I grew up listening to metal and grunge. Pearl Jam is, to this day, my favorite band ever.

Outstanding! I, too, am a Pearl Jammer. I must ask, what is your favorite album?

Congrats historyguy. W&M is awesome.

I actually just received a very polite email from the DGS informing me that I was placed on the wait list for the PhD program. They said the wait list was relatively short, but I'm certainly not expecting anything. To be honest, I was expecting another rejection (I wouldn't characterize it as my very best fit, though I guess someone saw something interesting in my research) so this is fine.

My chances of living somewhere on the east coast next year are seriously dwindling.

Teachgrad: me too. No better decade IMO. :D

You people are nuts! The 80s is where it's at! After WW II folks pass on, title of Greatest Generation will be ours!

PS you're welcome for Facebook

Congrats historyguy. W&M is awesome.

I actually just received a very polite email from the DGS informing me that I was placed on the wait list for the PhD program. They said the wait list was relatively short, but I'm certainly not expecting anything. To be honest, I was expecting another rejection (I wouldn't characterize it as my very best fit, though I guess someone saw something interesting in my research) so this is fine.

My chances of living somewhere on the east coast next year are seriously dwindling.

Congrats on the wait list! I know how stressful it is. PM me if you want to chat. Let them know you're very interested :).

You people are nuts! The 80s is where it's at! After WW II folks pass on, title of Greatest Generation will be ours!

PS you're welcome for Facebook

80's is totally where it's at. Who rocked a sideways pony tail, mismatched and brightly colored socks, and horrendous color choices? I did. All before the age of 5.

And for whoever mentioned the Boy Bands, sigh. That was my life too. I can't believe my parents get the Beatles, the Stones, etc. And i get *NSYNC. FML.

80's is totally where it's at. Who rocked a sideways pony tail, mismatched and brightly colored socks, and horrendous color choices? I did. All before the age of 5.

And for whoever mentioned the Boy Bands, sigh. That was my life too. I can't believe my parents get the Beatles, the Stones, etc. And i get *NSYNC. FML.

OK so they MIGHT have us on musical legacy (forgive me 98 degrees) but our cartoons & tv shows? That legacy will never be matched. Bar none!