Fall 2012 Applicant Chit Chat

goldielocks

I practically lunged at my mailman yesterday. Alas, there was nothing but credit card offers.

LOL! I hate peeking into my mailbox, seeing a bunch of envelopes and having it all be junk mail.

I'd guess Maryland will be hard copy (or a phone call for acceptance maybe) either next week or the week after looking at previous years' stats. And since I live in the area there hasn't been any snow to delay meetings at least...

*sigh* Maryland is one of my top picks along with Miami (yay) and NYU. My family is in the DC area so the location would be perfect for me along with the makeup of the program. However, I am still floating over my Miami offer and making plans to visit the campus. :)

Is it normal for schools to release decisions this slowly and painfully? It was my understanding, initially, that they sent out their outright rejections first and then culled it down to a few applicants who would be accepted or waitlisted. I was not expecting this seemingly random process and lengthy silences after initial acceptances. I am not a fan of cloak and dagger.

Is it normal for schools to release decisions this slowly and painfully? It was my understanding, initially, that they sent out their outright rejections first and then culled it down to a few applicants who would be accepted or waitlisted. I was not expecting this seemingly random process and lengthy silences after initial acceptances. I am not a fan of cloak and dagger.

Every school has a different process, it seems. Some are more painful than others.

I'm expecting all of my rejections to arrive on my birthday next month. It just seems fitting. ;) I suspect W&M may have sent/are sending their rejections via snail mail this week. Seems like they've made decisions, since there's an admit up. And last year the rejections came via mail. So I'll just watch for that little envelope this week and next...

My Rutgers status also says No Decision. I hope to hear something soon. Just to tie it up and say it's over if it's over.

Any word on CUNY? Anyone know how people found out last year? People wrote website on the results search, but I don't see where on the website that would happen.

My Rutgers status also says No Decision. I hope to hear something soon. Just to tie it up and say it's over if it's over.

Any word on CUNY? Anyone know how people found out last year? People wrote website on the results search, but I don't see where on the website that would happen.

Since we are in a related field, its comforting that you haven't heard yet either. Maybe they're still deciding.

Guys, I don't want to start a race war, and maybe this belongs in the "Shit people say when you're applying to grad school thread," but this is just too infuriating: I'm at the hospital, my mom just had surgery, and I'm making small talk with a post-doc researcher (an educated woman) outside her room. And she says: "of course you didn't get into Yale. You're a white male!"

I didn't get into Yale because I wrote a piece of shit book review, not because of affirmative action, which, if people actually took the time to think about these things, they would realize is not a zero-sum-game. It has actually expanded access for everybody, not taken away white people's cake in order to give it to minorities. Not to mention that on the Harvard app there is literally that box where you are supposed to check if you are a Baxendale or a Thayer. Clearly, white privilege is extant. Maybe this woman was just so wowed with my dashingly good looks that she just said something really stupid.

I'm sorry. I'm stressed for many, many reasons and I didn't need to get hit in the brain with a big wave of stupidity.

Edited by crazedandinfused

Oh man, that is rather dumb.

I was thinking about this yesterday while reading an article about the new affirmative action case that is going to be heard by the Supreme Court: Do you think that affirmative action exists at the graduate level (not talking about med or law school at all). Even if it does, I feel like there are far to many variables that would get in the way of proving that it occurred. ESPECIALLY when some places only admit 5-10 people.

In all likelihood, she was wowed by your dashingly good looks.

Oh man, that is rather dumb.

I was thinking about this yesterday while reading an article about the new affirmative action case that is going to be heard by the Supreme Court: Do you think that affirmative action exists at the graduate level (not talking about med or law school at all). Even if it does, I feel like there are far to many variables that would get in the way of proving that it occurred. ESPECIALLY when some places only admit 5-10 people.

In all likelihood, she was wowed by your dashingly good looks.

I think that diversity nowadays goes well beyond race. You may be able to get a fellowship based on some form of "diversity" or "affirmative action," based on the fact that you may not be able to afford to go otherwise... but as far as getting in, if you're not qualified, you won't make it and you'll end up hurting the program.

I think that diversity nowadays goes well beyond race. You may be able to get a fellowship based on some form of "diversity" or "affirmative action," based on the fact that you may not be able to afford to go otherwise... but as far as getting in, if you're not qualified, you won't make it and you'll end up hurting the program.

It's possible. A friend of mine, a white female, got a diversity fellowship because she wanted to study race in the South. The Grad School changed the criterion to anyone who wanted to study "diversity" regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, disability, etc.

What does Baxendale or Thayer mean?*

*I live under a semitic rock.

Thayer was a prominent writer who went to Harvard in the early 1900s. Don't know about Baxendales. I assume they must both have large endowments at Harvard since there are buildings named after them.

Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification, Nordicllama! (cool username, btw)

I wrote an essay for somewhere where the fellowships were for people studying histories of minorities. That might be their version of a diversity fellowship.

Edited by uhohlemonster