Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Well, if it's any consolation, that's how I felt last year. As I've said a couple times on this forum, don't let not getting in discourage you, because so many people on this forum had that experience and are now being admitted to programs. In any event, LSE's a nice place, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your MSc there! I also hear they do a great job placing their students in Ph.D programs.

I'm amazed at the ability that you and others had to go through this terrible process more than once. I'm lucky to have one acceptance under my belt in this cycle. I don't think I could do it again (and I have no clue what I'd do in the intervening year).

Well, if it's any consolation, that's how I felt last year. As I've said a couple times on this forum, don't let not getting in discourage you, because so many people on this forum had that experience and are now being admitted to programs. In any event, LSE's a nice place, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your MSc there! I also hear they do a great job placing their students in Ph.D programs.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm excited about the MSc, and the opportunity to live in London for a year. I'm just feeling the usual angst, I'm sure

Thanks for the kind words. I'm excited about the MSc, and the opportunity to live in London for a year. I'm just feeling the usual angst, I'm sure

London rocks, and LSE is a great place. Be sure to take advantage of the University of London library in Russell Square, near SOAS.

SCENARIO: I received an informal admissions email from a POI and have been driven mad by its informality. I read the email about 4 times a day to confirm that it is real (and addressed to me) and I check my mailbox roughly 3 times a day (yes... this is illogical as mail is only delivered once a day) to see if the official offer has arrived by horse and buggy (snail mail is too kind a description of Canada Post).

THOUGHT: This school could save me a lot of gut-clenching anxiety if they spent some of my application fee (or the fees of the 600-odd other people who applied) to fedex this darn letter to my house.

CONCLUSION: I will not believe that this is real (and not some anxiety-hallucination) until a shiny letter appears in my mailbox.... maybe I should go check for one now...

You should arrange for a phone call from the Director of Grad services, it really helps! Some DGS are so on the ball they even have skype. A nice little face to face really went a long way to a) taking away some concerns I might have had about uprooting and moving. b ) Makes it feel really REAL. Like picturing myself there in the near future.

stupid emoticons... I just want to say b ) but it turns it into a B)

Edited by Anonymouse Bosch

Okay - for all you anxiously awaiting Berkeley: just spoke to Janet Newhall, who said that the majority of acceptance offers have already been made, but that there is "a group in the middle" whose fate has not been decided yet. No clue on the size of this group, or when the crystal ball may clear up. So, no information can be released. All decisions (including rejections) will be sent by next Wednesday (I know, torture...).

You should arrange for a phone call from the Director of Grad services, it really helps! Some DGS are so on the ball they even have skype. A nice little face to face really went a long way to a) taking away some concerns I might have had about uprooting and moving. b ) Makes it feel really REAL. Like picturing myself there in the near future.

stupid emoticons... I just want to say b ) but it turns it into a B)

I hate that emoticon too...

I will be speaking with the prof. who contacted me (a POI ... if that stands for POtential advIsor...) later this week when she returns from an exotic foreign land. Until then I will just stew in my anxiety and luxuriate in a general feeling of benevolence and love for everyone and everything (even if it does not feel real, it feels pretty damn good!).

I have to say, I'm surprised Princeton didn't throw me a bone. I don't mean that to be arrogant - Princeton's incredibly competitive, and getting waitlisted one year doesn't imply an acceptance the next - but I guess either the crop of Africanists improved markedly this year or the evolution of my SOP moved my interests away from what they wanted. I truly thought that it was better tailored to the school this year, and there's no doubt my profile improved, so I guess I just wasn't as competitive relative to new applicants.

Anyway, looks like the cycle is just about wrapped up for me. All of the schools for which I'm currently waiting have sent out their admits, so now I can only hope that I'm lagging behind because they're waiting to approve me for a massive fellowship. Since that seems a slim possibility, I've only now to choose between UCLA and Madison. Once everything's official, I'll contribute to the SOP thread. I encourage all others to do the same.

I'm still waiting and I posted mine. I can't imagine any penalty??

fair enough. time to see how much personal and identifying information i need to strip from my SOP. also, to get over the embarrassment of having to post my undergraduate GPA in this forum

Soooooooo.....NU, UVA, UPenn?

Spoke to Courtney at NU and she said that admissions were rolling. Acceptances and rejections have gone out but not all acceptance, wait list, rejections have gone out. She said they will make all decisions by the end of the week--here's hoping that is true.

On another note--anyone have any more info about Indiana? Last week I was told they would send out all decisions by early this week and it is now midweek...

I have to say, I'm surprised Princeton didn't throw me a bone. I don't mean that to be arrogant - Princeton's incredibly competitive, and getting waitlisted one year doesn't imply an acceptance the next - but I guess either the crop of Africanists improved markedly this year or the evolution of my SOP moved my interests away from what they wanted. I truly thought that it was better tailored to the school this year, and there's no doubt my profile improved, so I guess I just wasn't as competitive relative to new applicants.

Anyway, looks like the cycle is just about wrapped up for me. All of the schools for which I'm currently waiting have sent out their admits, so now I can only hope that I'm lagging behind because they're waiting to approve me for a massive fellowship. Since that seems a slim possibility, I've only now to choose between UCLA and Madison. Once everything's official, I'll contribute to the SOP thread. I encourage all others to do the same.

I think it's a mistake to look at admissions decisions as having any level of consistency. It's not that you're less competitive relative to the other Africanists than last year, it's that when you have an entirely different group of people evaluating you, what's "competitive" changes significantly. It's quite possible that if you had applied with you application from today to last year's committee, you would have been admitted.