Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

I called Berkeley today, they said that rejection letters would be sent out on Wednesday :(

Did they say "by Wednesday"? I spoke to them on Tuesday, I think, and they told me that all decisions would be sent out by next Wednesday but that they hadn't finished sending out admissions. Do you mean instead that they are done sending out acceptances?

In 2010 there were 10 Berkeley acceptances posted, in 2011 8, and so far this year we have 6 (can't remember how many have been claimed). So I would guess they're close to done if not completely done.

I'm not sure if they said "on Wednesday" or "by Wednesday," but I'm assuming they will send a mass e-mail, so Wednesday is plausible. She said that they're almost done with all admissions, so I guess maybe one or two more people might be accepted in the next few days.

Also claiming a Yale reject. All right, peeps, that's official notice from everywhere except Chicago, and it doesn't matter. Go Blue Devils...perfect fit. UVA and UT limbo people, I'll be contacting them shortly to thank them but respectfully decline their offers.

Of course, still gotta hang around to find out how it ends for everyone! Plus, I wanna know how people find the admitted students weekends. :)

Yep, out at Berkeley.

I think the lesson to be drawn from this admissions cycle is that fit is the single most important thing. Since my work is very much on the fringe of IR - both theoretically (focus on norm development) and substantively (LGBT rights) - places like Berkeley and Princeton proved too much of a stretch. A focus on IPE, security and political behavior is simply more likely to make you competitive across a broader range of universities. That having been said, I knew the fit with Cornell was great and I'm truly elated to be heading there!

Pretty steep competition too, by the way, what with approx. 500 applicants:

We received nearly five hundred applications for an extremely small

number of places in the program.The pool of applicants was

extraordinarily strong and the admissions committee was therefore unable

to accept many candidates with outstanding qualifications.

Edited by CooCooCachoo

I wish I had applied to more programs, and more lower ranked ones. I don't think I picked the right schools given my credentials and interests. =( Boooo. I don't want to apply again and go through this waiting process. Also, I don't have that kind of money to throw around again next year.

Perhaps the Fulbright will pull through, but I won't know for sure until June-ish. =/

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Berkeley? This is making me a bit nuts.

i am. though its making me decidedly less nuts than it would have a week ago.

my last name is late alphabetically so if the rejections are going out that way could account for my wait time

i am. though its making me decidedly less nuts than it would have a week ago.

my last name is late alphabetically so if the rejections are going out that way could account for my wait time

Thanks for letting me know! Definitely less crazy-making than it would have been even a few days ago, but still crazy-making. My last name is very early alphabetically, so I have no clue what is going on.