Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

'Nother Berkeley reject checking in. On the bright side, I finally got my funding offers from Davis and Pitt - nothing like people offering you free money to take the sting off your first rejection.

Edit: @jsclar and saltlakecity: My last name is in the middle of the alphabet, so I don't think they're going alphabetically.

Edited by expfcwintergreen

a question: how many people do DC schools, like Georgetown, GWU, American, admit each year? and how many funded?

I am not sure about the number of admitted students, but I do know that those schools are notorious for not funding very many of those they do admit.

In DC lots of places live government agencies and think tanks pay for it.

So applicants get jobs that will pay for the degrees? Or do applicants usually already have jobs in DC when applying, and thus know they'll have funding?

I am not sure about the number of admitted students, but I do know that those schools are notorious for not funding very many of those they do admit.

I'm pretty sure that GTown only funds 6-8. B/c Deneen resigned, I'm pulling my app. (Not that they will care in the least)

then how many will they admit? and how competitive is the program?

Goodluck, not to be a jerk, but independent research is part of the process of graduate school. Its Georgetown, the simple "eye-test" should suffice to suggest that its competitive.

So applicants get jobs that will pay for the degrees? Or do applicants usually already have jobs in DC when applying, and thus know they'll have funding?

They already have jobs. The military does this too a lot, especially for IR>

They already have jobs. The military does this too a lot, especially for IR>

I wonder, if I get accepted, if I can somehow quickly find a job and get them to fund my education. =P

Joking. I'm fully aware that I will likely not go to Georgetown or GW, regardless as to whether I get accepted, because I likely wouldn't get funding. 'Tis nice to dream, though.

Goodluck, not to be a jerk, but independent research is part of the process of graduate school. Its Georgetown, the simple "eye-test" should suffice to suggest that its competitive.

why is everywhere so competitive? I should apply for less competitive programs. Sigh...

5 rejections in a day. NU, UPenn, Yale, Cornell, Penn State (mail). it couldnt be worse than this

I hear you there--I got four: NU, Yale, Penn, Cornell. What a shitty day.

So sorry guys. I hope you have heard good news from other schools, or will in the near future.

Wowzers, the "politic*" search on the result survey is turning up 106 results so far from today alone...

I'll keep hoping for the best for everyone; they've already gotten our application fees, so we have nothing else to lose! ^_^