Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Congrats balderdash! From what I've seen on this forum, you definitely deserved to be admitted.

Thanks dude, and yourself as well.

The Madison Africanist contingent is amazing, so this was my 4th choice behind P, Y, and S.

Congrats to everyone but especially RWBG and balderdash for the Madison acceptance. It might sound strange, but seeing how these guys finally got their deserved acceptance in their second cycle gives me a kind of peace and pleasure as a second timer myself. Hearty congrats

Congrats to everyone but especially RWBG and balderdash for the Madison acceptance. It might sound strange, but seeing how these guys finally got their deserved acceptance in their second cycle gives me a kind of peace and pleasure as a second timer myself. Hearty congrats

I appreciate that, balthasar. All the best with your own applications.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a second timer as well :) First applications were in 2009 for admission F2010.

Having the experience of applying before helps -- with everything but the anxiety. Still have 9 out, still on the slow slide toward insanity. Hope the rest of the letters come soon!

Thank you, I also appreciate it.

Now if the Patriots can win the Super Bowl, it'll be a really good couple of weeks...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a second timer as well :) First applications were in 2009 for admission F2010.

Having the experience of applying before helps -- with everything but the anxiety. Still have 9 out, still on the slow slide toward insanity. Hope the rest of the letters come soon!

Then kudos to you as well sir (ma'am?). I hope you get into your first choice, provided it is not Madison.

As for the African Cup, maybe balderdash is not interested this year because of the absence of Egypt and Nigeria?

Long time lurker, first time poster (applying F 12, as well).....just wanted to chime in and say CONGRATS on Wisky everyone who got in! I hope to join you guys with acceptances sometime soon

Then kudos to you as well sir (ma'am?). I hope you get into your first choice, provided it is not Madison.

As for the African Cup, maybe balderdash is not interested this year because of the absence of Egypt and Nigeria?

If you are africanist, must be concerned about the Africa Cup of Nations. We play soccer outside the US =)

Haha no I'm following it (I can't believe about Nigeria), but I'm a Boston guy first and foremost. We need to avenge the 2007 season.

First time poster, been lurking for a while. Just have to say that the Wisconsin acceptance was completely out of the blue and was such a welcome surprise! I have been down in the dumps about grad school, so this was a great spirit lifter. 16 more apps are out, so I still have a long way to go!

Congrats to everyone else that was accepted! Hopefully I'll see you at the Admitted Students Visit in March!

A hearty congratulations to all, but on a personal note, I'd like to wish Balderdash all the best for the first of hopefully several, acceptance offers. I have been a keen observer of this Forum, and earlier on in the application cycle your advice, Balderdash, on page 1 of this thread, was extremely helpful. Whether or not it will bring success in this application cycle, who knows? But what is certain, is that learning from your mistakes, and then putting it out there so that others can share in your learning, is a brave and humble step to take. I certainly acknowledge what you had to say, and your words were confirmed by other Academics and Ph.D. candidates. Thanks again, and good luck!

A hearty congratulations to all, but on a personal note, I'd like to wish Balderdash all the best for the first of hopefully several, acceptance offers. I have been a keen observer of this Forum, and earlier on in the application cycle your advice, Balderdash, on page 1 of this thread, was extremely helpful.

I concur with Kombucha. While I have noticed that many members of this forum are generous with advice and encouragement, Balderdash has distinguished himself as perhaps the most helpful individual here.

Congratulations to all those who received acceptances today!

Edited by iwouldpreferanonymity

What is your focus, Balderdash?

And who's a theory person in here? From what I can tell, secret squirell and ohsnap are--what are you two focusing on?

Is it correct to assume that, for the most part, you are competing with those in your sub-discipline more so than with students in disparate categories, e.g. the IR people battle it out for IR slots and so forth?

Edited by wmplax

Tamaloo - There is no distinction between students (international or not) when it comes to sending out decisions. If, of course, the department decides to send out actual letters and nothing else, I would expect the prospective student in India to get the news later than the one in Boston.

Wmplax - regarding sub-disciplines - I believe that is the case, though it is more rigid in some universities than others. Let's say X university wants to get 5 students for the IR sub-division and 5 for theory. There is a possibility that they will play with the numbers and make it 4 IR and 6 Theory after seeing your supercalifragilisticexpialidotious application (which is somehow worse than those of all the other 5 theory people but rocks compared to the lame IR files). Then again that might not be something to rely on since schools usually admit more people than their target number of incoming students. Well, what do i know..

Depends on a number of factors: the composition of the graduate committee, the strengths of the department, the number of available lines, where those lines are coming from (i.e. college/University lines), etc...While I'm guessing some of the top departments are pretty rigid in terms of subfield, most are pretty flexible.

Long time lurker, first time poster (applying F 12, as well).....just wanted to chime in and say CONGRATS on Wisky everyone who got in! I hope to join you guys with acceptances sometime soon

First time poster, been lurking for a while. Just have to say that the Wisconsin acceptance was completely out of the blue and was such a welcome surprise! I have been down in the dumps about grad school, so this was a great spirit lifter. 16 more apps are out, so I still have a long way to go!

Congrats to everyone else that was accepted! Hopefully I'll see you at the Admitted Students Visit in March!

Hey, guys! Welcome (formally) to the party! I love how things are really heating up now. Whoo!

I think it depends on the dept. Some take the best 20 applicants regardless of subfield and some have quotas for each.

Yeah, and it must also depend for many departments on what the cohort composition was like in years previous, because of advisor distribution, etc. and having certain numbers of students in courses, or what have you. If they took a bajillion IR kids last year they might only take a few this time around, but I think that is must be true that some programs also just take the "best" 20 candidates...though that itself depends on faculty/program fit, etc. I think this entire application process, and corresponding with all of you lovely fellow applicants (:D) has taught me that there is no such thing as a sure thing. Context matters.

Haha I think I just subtly outed myself as a Comparativist.