PoliSci 2008-2009 Cycle

CAPoliSciPhD

Does anyone know why schools hold onto some rejections until weeks after their initial wave of admissions? I know they might still be considering some applications but in Duke's case it seems like there are too many people waiting for them to all be under consideration.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a lurker coming out of the woodwork here, but I have some previous experience that I can offer to our storm of speculation vis-a-vis Duke. I applied to that program last year and was rejected. I received my rejection in the form of an email informing me that a decision had been made on my application and instructing me to check my application status on the grad school's website. Said email arrived on February 20. Sorry to be a pessimist, but if they're on the same timeline this year as last, my guess is that they've made their decisions, the department has contacted those who were accepted, and they've left the dirty work of contacting those they're rejecting to the grad school's form letters and automated system. Of course, this is just conjecture on my part on the basis of last year's experience and the (perhaps faulty?) assumption that they've followed the same timeline as last year. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, and they're just taking some extra time putting together stellar funding packages for those of us who are still waiting!

From poliscijobrumors (re:late rejections)

Schools don't make all their decisions at the same time.

There's at least 2 possibilities here:

For many schools, there's probably something like 3 or 4 piles (or more, if these are further divided)

1) definitely yes, we'll admit them (probably small pile)

2) definitely no, we can go ahead and reject them

3) if they have a wait list, then: probably yes, but only if we have space for them, if some of the definite yeses say no.

4) not sure/maybe, so let's wait and see how many of our definite yeses say yes, and then how the wait list shapes up.

Or it could be that some schools don't bother notifying about rejections until they've got their incoming class in place - which means waiting until they've more or less finalized their list of admits and have a good sense of how many are coming. In other words, their highest priority is dealing with the ones they've admitted, and only after that do they get to the form letters for everyone else.

While, after all this talk of rejections, I am looking forward to hearing some news this week (hopefully something good). Last week was surprisingly uneventful for me, so I am ready for some official rejections and acceptances. Yes, even the rejections - I'd rather know now and start figuring out my plans than be kept in unnecessary suspense. Plus, I had a dream last night that Harvard accepted me, so who cares what happens until I hear from them :-) OK, a long shot, but I can hope - right?

I haven't heard anything from TAMU, either. As of late January, my application was routed to the department for review.

Sorry a bit late in responding, just found this board on Friday.

I have been admitted to A&M. I got a UPS package on February 5th (dated the 3rd) with the offer (including funding). Then on Monday, February 9th I started getting emails from the department, including the Director of Graduate Studies, the Chair (who also oversees my specialization) and then on Wednesday from another professor with a similar background and interest to mine. The email from the chair stated that they had just started meeting the previous Monday and made a few offers to the "top applicants" (that makes me wince at how arrogant that sounds, but that was his phrase). That suggests to me that more are to come...my on-line status was updated about 4 days after I received my offer letter.

Sorry a bit late in responding, just found this board on Friday.

I have been admitted to A&M. I got a UPS package on February 5th (dated the 3rd) with the offer (including funding). Then on Monday, February 9th I started getting emails from the department, including the Director of Graduate Studies, the Chair (who also oversees my specialization) and then on Wednesday from another professor with a similar background and interest to mine. The email from the chair stated that they had just started meeting the previous Monday and made a few offers to the "top applicants" (that makes me wince at how arrogant that sounds, but that was his phrase). That suggests to me that more are to come...my on-line status was updated about 4 days after I received my offer letter.

Congrats!

In a normal year, Michigan would be getting back to people early this week. Too bad that this is not a normal year...

EDIT: Although Michigan's spring break is next week. I would imagine the adcomm has incentive to finish by then since faculty often have plans to leave during that week, which would essentially postpone decisions to about a week before the visit...

In a normal year, Michigan would be getting back to people early this week. Too bad that this is not a normal year...

EDIT: Although Michigan's spring break is next week. I would imagine the adcomm has incentive to finish by then since faculty often have plans to leave during that week, which would essentially postpone decisions to about a week before the visit...

They could still find a poor soul dedicated enough to spend his/her time sending all those emails during reading week.

They could still find a poor soul dedicated enough to spend his/her time sending all those emails during reading week.

This is true, but I think it means two things:

1. Decisions will be done no later than Friday.

2. Rumors of how behind the adcomm are could be slightly overblown, perhaps to lower expectations of hearing news by a certain date.

Either way, I certainly hope that they are able to finish by Friday. I do not want to wait until March to hear from one of my top schools.

This is true, but I think it means two things:

1. Decisions will be done no later than Friday.

2. Rumors of how behind the adcomm are could be slightly overblown, perhaps to lower expectations of hearing news by a certain date.

Either way, I certainly hope that they are able to finish by Friday. I do not want to wait until March to hear from one of my top schools.

Also, if their recruitment weekend is March 13-15, they kind of have to give students a minimum of time to plan for the trip. Giving a week's notice could affect how people view the dept and maybe reduce their yield among top applicants.

For those of you waiting on Duke, all final decisions have been sent to the graduate school. In other words, all rejections will be posted soon. Sorry guys :(

Take some solace in the fact that Duke got beat by Boston College last night and will fall in the rankings today.

Urgh, I'm just feeling very spent from the whole endeavour now - having heard nothing from anyone (but pretty much awaiting rejection from Stanford) I'm tired of worrying with no pay off. I'm trying to ignore it now and just get on with the rest of my life - easier said than done mind you lol.

[edit]

Although someone has just got into UPenn!

Urgh, I'm just feeling very spent from the whole endeavour now - having heard nothing from anyone (but pretty much awaiting rejection from Stanford) I'm tired of worrying with no pay off. I'm trying to ignore it now and just get on with the rest of my life - easier said than done mind you lol.

[edit]

Although someone has just got into UPenn!

WOAH!!! is that UPenn acceptance for real?