Ebook vs traditional textbook

survivorgirl

The title pretty much says it all. I have one textbook that I could obtain via my Kindle, and I'm wondering what opinions are on this. My one concern is that for this particular text my Kindle shows a "location number" rather than a page number. However, I can see that it would be convenient to carry my Kindle with me rather than lugging around a hefty textbook. What do you all think?

I'm in the same situation as you. I have one book that I actually went ahead and purchased for my Kindle. It was a book for a more "general course" and not entirely field specific so I felt comfortable knowing that I would not need to book in the future. I know that there are individuals in my cohort that have purchased the book and know that if need be they wouldn't mind me looking it over. Furthermore, from the three days of classes I have experienced, assigned reading is done by chapters, which are able to be looked up through the Kindle.

I've always preferred a textbook to its electronic versions. With a real book, you can underline/highlight important points and jot down notes by the margins etc. This makes studying from it later on much easier. Also, looking at physical pages may be easier on the eyes than staring at a screen.

I bought a Kindle for 'pleasure reading' over the summer and LOVE it. However, I'm going to stick with print textbooks for my coursework, at least for now. It is possible to highlight/annotate on Kindle, but much easier on a paper version. Also, the page number issue is a big deal when you need to quote the book in a paper, or just need to get "on the same page" (literally) with your prof and fellow students in a seminar.

I thought Kindle books displayed page numbers now? I have a Kindle and the Kindle app on my iPad, and both of them display page numbers.

It depends on the book. I decided to opt for the paper versions, mostly due to the page number issues. However, I would not hesitate to download supplement reading for my courses to my Kindle.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always preferred a textbook to its electronic versions. With a real book, you can underline/highlight important points and jot down notes by the margins etc. This makes studying from it later on much easier. Also, looking at physical pages may be easier on the eyes than staring at a screen.

Guess you've never tried reading a high quality text file on a 1900x1200 screen, two pages side-to-side with scroll. It makes reading pretty enjoyable and I can still annotate using a software. But the main perk? ctrl-f!

• 7 months later...

If I'm still a student I would still choose the tangible textbook over ebooks primarily because it's easy for me to highlight important notes that I found in them. Also, it's easy for me to concentrate on my study if I've a real book with me.

Edited by romnickhudges

I have an irrational aversion to marking up textbooks so I would go with the Kindle edition; I love how easy it is to carry around with me. However, I've never bought a book which displayed page numbers so you might end up spending some time with your campus library's copy to track down citations, which should be a little hassle but not too much of one so long as the book is broken down into chapters.

I bought a Kindle for 'pleasure reading' over the summer and LOVE it. However, I'm going to stick with print textbooks for my coursework, at least for now. It is possible to highlight/annotate on Kindle, but much easier on a paper version. Also, the page number issue is a big deal when you need to quote the book in a paper, or just need to get "on the same page" (literally) with your prof and fellow students in a seminar.

I love my kindle too- it's the only thing I read novels on...but like you, I like to have the textbook...I am even getting to the point where I need paper copies of my articles.

I use to only read articles/text via PDF on a computer...but the more I get in, and the more I want to write, use stickies, highlight and scribble, the more I find it easier to have a paper/hard copy in front of me. Not to mention I read and type together, I just find it too difficult to read and make notes on the computer while I type...I know it's easier for a lot of people, but it just doesn't feel right.

I think it's really a personal preference!

I also got a Kindle, and use it primarily for pleasure reading. However, I have begun loading relevant pdf's and such onto it. I've generally bounced back and forth between e-books and traditional media.

Things specific to my field I'm more apt to buy a paper copy of because I'll use it and reference it over and over throughout the years. I do have some files on my Kindle that are highlighted up and have corresponding notes for them in a notebook. Might not be the most effecient method at the moment. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

I've tried loading pdf's on my kindle and although I can read through the articles, zooming in and out each time just isn't worth the time. Kindle's aren't ready for pdf's just as yet.

I have a Kindle (not touch), iPad, and Nook Color.

This is how I see things:

PDFs (journal articles, etc)=iPad

Books that are just for reading=Kindle/Nook

Stuff that you need for research/papers=physical book (and maybe sometimes iPad (if it's in PDF form and not a lot of pages.)