MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Still haven't heard from CalArts!

Hey mica_c! I did my Cal Arts interview last week . . . they let me know only a day or so in advance as to the date and time, so maybe you'll hear this week. Depending on the department, they might be doing interviews either before or after the "interview day." I dunno, I'm sure you'll hear soon, though you may want to put in a phone call . . .

Congratulations OutWest! My application hasn't changed...so hopefully they haven't updated the painting/drawing applicants yet. We shall see.

My UO status hasn't changed either...still waiting & crossing my fingers!

Hey mica_c! I did my Cal Arts interview last week . . . they let me know only a day or so in advance as to the date and time, so maybe you'll hear this week. Depending on the department, they might be doing interviews either before or after the "interview day." I dunno, I'm sure you'll hear soon, though you may want to put in a phone call . . .

Thanks miyamoto81! The constant stressing out over CalArts is getting to be a little embarrassing haha :P

I'll see what these next couple of weeks hold but I am seriously considering at this point holding out until next year and going for my top choice with a much stronger portfolio. I haven't been rejected from it yet (fingers crossed), but I feel so conflicted about the accepted schools IDK.

Congrats to all on your acceptances and good luck to those who are still waiting!

Received an email about an interview for SVA's MFA Design Program. I'm excited but freaking out a bit. Anyone know what the interview process is like for this program at SVA? This would be my first and I just want to be as prepared as possible.

The time will be 9:00 a.m. on 8th.

It will an all day tour.

So, to all of those interviewing at CalArts via Skype on March 8 for Photo/Media.....has anyone heard a time time yet???

I still haven't gotten an email from the department, do you guys know what's going on?

@jjr8888 I got a letter on 2/24 from Purchase letting me know I wasn't in. I'm also going to try for a TA position at Rutgers. I'm waiting for the financial stuff to come in to decide but I'm pretty sure I'm going there. If anyone needs info on USF in Tampa let me know. I finished undergrad there and have lived here almost all my life.

I would love any info on USF that you can give me! I was accepted there, and I would love and insiders perspective. I primarily do video/photo/new genres, so any info about that would be helpful too! Thanks!

Hey congrats on your SAIC interview! I'm going out for my interview with Cranbrook next week also. I'm really looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting everyone. I've never been so feel free to let me know anything about the area. I see you are from Michigan which is why I ask... Best of luck with the rest of your process!

Thanks. As for what to do in the area -- Cranbrook is in a very fancy suburban area. The setting is truly lovely but not much interesting stuff to do other than checking out the awesomeness of the school. If you have a chance, go to Royal Oak or Ferndale and you can walk around. Detroit in the Wayne State University and Museum district has a lot of activity too. Of course there are other areas but you have to really know where you're going. Good luck with your interview.

Oh my god so much happened on here!!! HUGE congrats to all those who got good news. :)

For those who noticed my absence (so touched guys!) i was travelling (visited tyler and interviewed at chicago) and getting access to internet was hard. I think the forced break from email access was good for me though. Ive been a little down on myself with this whole process..need to not lose track that there is a life outside of grad admissions?

Edited by kazoo

It can be hard to think about anything but this for longer than five minutes. Monday morning though, coffee is on, and I'm already staring out the front window for the mailman and email is up haha. Hope everyone hears some great news this week! G'luck

If you're asking opinions - develop your work, research all the schools you're interested in (if you don't know where to start, check some threads on these forums for places people have applied to), and apply to schools next year that are a balance of excellent funding and good for your work. If you really want to spend the amount of money that PAFA wants from you, you might as well spend it in a more prestigous institution.

Susan-Thanks for your response. I am interested in schools which focus more on Contemporary Figurative art and drawing techniques... and that is why applied to PAFA, but after seeing the amount of expense I will have to incur I am considering of applying to more schools with good funding next year. This time I applied to NYAA, SAIC, SFAI and PAFA.

It depends on your work and what you are really searching for, but PAFA is OK.

What other schools have you applied to?

I am a figurative artist. I applied to NYAA, SAIC and SFAI other than PAFA. NYAA was my top choice but received a rejection on 3/1.

Susan-Thanks for your response. I am interested in schools which focus more on Contemporary Figurative art and drawing techniques... and that is why applied to PAFA, but after seeing the amount of expense I will have to incur I am considering of applying to more schools with good funding next year. This time I applied to NYAA, SAIC, SFAI and PAFA.

I am very much interested in developing the same type of work. I visited NYAA over the summer and felt a little different about it than I had thought I would. Seemed really impersonal and crammed. Student work was beyond amazing though, the best I have ever seen at a school really. But something about it really seemed like a - you need them way more than they need you attitude. Know a lot of ppl there though and the work they put out is stellar. Great faculty as well.

I am very much interested in developing the same type of work. I visited NYAA over the summer and felt a little different about it than I had thought I would. Seemed really impersonal and crammed. Student work was beyond amazing though, the best I have ever seen at a school really. But something about it really seemed like a - you need them way more than they need you attitude. Know a lot of ppl there though and the work they put out is stellar. Great faculty as well.

Yes the pool of applicant is more every year and competition is tough and another drawback being an Intl. student will be funds as NY is very expensive plus NYAA doesn't give good grants to Intl. applicants, but still I'l be happy to apply next time again to get there.. I was jus trying to explore my options and see if PAFA was a good alternate as I haven't visited any schools there so I am solely relying on this forum and the feedback.

Also may help to search some current students on facebook and ask them how the program is and what they think about it. Especially if one is doing work you aspire to do. Good luck with everything! and these are just opinions, as with art this is very subjective, and one school may be a great fit or horrible depending on the person.