MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Hmm Chris never told me that. Nonetheless I've heard nothing since my interview.

I just sent him an email. He said we should hear something after next Friday, I don't know if this also means Hoffberger.

Also, you have to realize at Tulane, they are taking only a few students with a full ride and no one else. Often they already have someone in mind, or a teacher who wrote a recomendation knows a faculty member at the school.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. According to this description of their graduate facilities, and keeping in mind there's already one grad photo student, it seems like only one space was available; "On the fifth floor there is a large shared studio space for two graduates. In this space is a seating area, wall space and a movable tack-wall for viewing works-in-progress. There are two private darkrooms, each with a Beseler 45 system enlarger, stainless steel sink with temperature control, safelight, and requisite accessories (trays, timers, compressed air, etc.)."

Maybe I am misinterpreting that description, but yeah...kind of wish I knew that before I parted with my $50. Oh well!

Edited by Hindinwood

I think that this is the equivalent of making sure the pre-nup is suitable before saying yes.

I've done a lot of hard thinking and made every consideration and, sorry, but I can't accept your proposal. Good luck in all of your future marriage attempts!

Edited by sympatico

Finally got the rejection letter from UGA. That's it for me. I feel strangely liberated knowing that no outside forces will be trying to infiltrate my work and dumb it down for easy categorization or consumption in the two allotted seconds that artworks have to make an impression. But I'm still a little sad that I won't have three years of uninterrupted time to really get down and dirty in a top of the line printmaking facility. Oh well, who doesn't love hand rubbing the shit out of linoleum in the basement to achieve an 18% gray instead of black? Good luck everybody. I hope you get into your preferred program, but more so, I hope you prosper in your work and no one tries to rob it of its richest, hardest to understand nuances.

Sorry dude, that sucks. Just keep working.

I heard from Boston U. today, accepted w/ scholarship via email (package apparently in the snail mail)!

But they, like other schools mentioned above, are requiring my decision by April 5th...? I hope I hear back from everyone by then, and from the grad banks for financials, too. I feel like the stress of this process just keeps going on and on and on.

That is not to say I don't feel very grateful! Hope you guys have a great weekend!

I heard from Boston U. today, accepted w/ scholarship via email (package apparently in the snail mail)!

But they, like other schools mentioned above, are requiring my decision by April 5th...? I hope I hear back from everyone by then, and from the grad banks for financials, too. I feel like the stress of this process just keeps going on and on and on.

That is not to say I don't feel very grateful! Hope you guys have a great weekend!

Congrats!

I got the tuition remission + 24k stipend too but I have no idea if it's enough to pay rent and food...Could you briefly explain the cost of living in Rutgers? Thx a lot!!

what do you mean you got it? Don't we have to apply for it through writing a letter right now? Or did they offer it to you straight out with admission?

I also just got my official UGA rejection via snail mail.

Finally got the rejection letter from UGA. That's it for me. I feel strangely liberated knowing that no outside forces will be trying to infiltrate my work and dumb it down for easy categorization or consumption in the two allotted seconds that artworks have to make an impression. But I'm still a little sad that I won't have three years of uninterrupted time to really get down and dirty in a top of the line printmaking facility. Oh well, who doesn't love hand rubbing the shit out of linoleum in the basement to achieve an 18% gray instead of black? Good luck everybody. I hope you get into your preferred program, but more so, I hope you prosper in your work and no one tries to rob it of its richest, hardest to understand nuances.

Mick, I am sorry to hear that it didn't work out. It's good that you're going to keep making. Stick it to 'em! If something changes and you decide to apply again next year, I wish you the best luck.

Holy cow, UIC's taking a minute and a half. We were supposed to hear this week, no?

Seriously. It sounds like they've contacted a few on this forum (a rejection and a wait list notification, maybe?). I've heard nothing. I applied to UIC at the last minute (the Dec15 "priority" deadline), before the rest of my apps, and my application to their program was rushed and below the quality of the ones I submitted to my other schools, so I'm expecting a rejection. I hope that I am wrong (for my sake and yours). Maybe they're saving the best kind of news for last?

Congrats! How did you wind up with 2 interviews at Pratt?

During my first interview with Jeff (the department chair), he said that if they liked me and wanted to know more, I'd be invited for a second interview. My second interview was this past Monday (March 5), wich a different professor and five current MFA students. I thought it was normal protocol based on his description.

Now there's a nice thought. They e-mail acceptances and waitlists I believe so it looks like this is going to be another one of those sitting in the dark/keep hitting refresh on the admissions page scenarios for me. Conversely the UIC application was the last one I submitted.

charlie1.jpg

Edited by polyethylene

So I'm pretty sure it's a no go with Slade and Columbia at this point (although I haven't heard anything official), but I was wondering when SVA lets people know. They are my last chance of getting into an NYC school! I hope one can come through so I will at least have a choice between 2 schools (SFAI unofficially said yes through the skype interview).

Despite this I have a question to ask. While funding is difficult to come by for the majority of us, except for the lucky fully funded few, has anyone looked at scholarship opportunities? I was nominated for the Jack Kent Cooke scholarship, which would pay up to $50k a year if I was awarded it, but because this chance is slim I was wondering if there are any other opportunities that people are looking into? (or already have, I understand that it is quite prudent to be secretive about the upcoming deadlines!)

So I'm pretty sure it's a no go with Slade and Columbia at this point (although I haven't heard anything official), but I was wondering when SVA lets people know. They are my last chance of getting into an NYC school! I hope one can come through so I will at least have a choice between 2 schools (SFAI unofficially said yes through the skype interview).

Despite this I have a question to ask. While funding is difficult to come by for the majority of us, except for the lucky fully funded few, has anyone looked at scholarship opportunities? I was nominated for the Jack Kent Cooke scholarship, which would pay up to $50k a year if I was awarded it, but because this chance is slim I was wondering if there are any other opportunities that people are looking into? (or already have, I understand that it is quite prudent to be secretive about the upcoming deadlines!)

For what it's worth, here is what the SVA web site says:

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Admissions Notification

• Applicants who have completed the application process by January 20, 2012, will receive an admission decision, in writing, by April 1, 2012.
  • The College does not disclose admissions decisions via phone.
  • All admission decision letters are sent to the mailing address on file. To avoid delays in notification, applicants who move or change addresses during the application process should contact Graduate Admissions via e-mail at gradadmissions@sva.edu to update their contact information.

During my first interview with Jeff (the department chair), he said that if they liked me and wanted to know more, I'd be invited for a second interview. My second interview was this past Monday (March 5), wich a different professor and five current MFA students. I thought it was normal protocol based on his description.

Thanks for the info. I applied to the Communications Design (MS) program and have heard nothing (no interview, nothing), so I guess I may be out.

NYU has one of the politest rejection letters I've seen.

MassArt's was very polite too. It was along the lines of ...it wasn't the quality of your work, just too many applications...

Ask for an extension, they are part of the Council of Graduate Schools and should abide by the April 15th deadline.

"Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of

such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently

desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time

through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer

without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made."

http://www.google.co...y5S7mTg&cad=rja

Edited by michaelwebster

I, too, was nominated for the JKC scholarship, but my school notified me of my nomination 5 days before it was due. I hadn't applied for FAFSA yet (as I was riding through undergrad on another scholarship that didn't require it) and I had no time to fill out my FAFSA and get it ready in time. Basically, I was deprived of the chance to apply because my school failed to time correctly.

Thanks for the info. I applied to the Communications Design (MS) program and have heard nothing (no interview, nothing), so I guess I may be out.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The MFA program and the MS program are similar in study, but vastly different in practice. I spoke with another applicant who said they were told interviews were not necessary for the MS department. The MFA (I think) has a more limited number of spots and you're meant to develop your thinking and practice, whereas the MS is meant to give you a technical skill set. That's what I've gathered, anyway.

Ask for an extension, they are part of the Council of Graduate Schools and should abide by the April 15th deadline.

"Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of

such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently

desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time

through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer

without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made."

http://www.google.co...y5S7mTg&cad=rja

That is good to know because Hawaii wants an answer by March 17th. I thought it seemed a little too early.