MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I was accepted to University of Maryland (full ride + stipend) and to Hunter (my dream school).

I really have no idea what to do. If you have any insight it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Brianny, what discipline are you in?

My standard reaction is: go for the best financial deal (which is probably Maryland). While Hunter has well-known faculty, I've seen terrible work from their grad students. Worse than Yale. I honestly know almost nothing about UMD's MFA program, but it's probably about as good as any state school.

Think twice about going WAY into debt just so you can live in New York and go to Hunter.

Univ of Maryland looks like a high quality program with excellent work coming out, I'd agree! And, wonderful funding to boot...

But, why would you say the work being done at Yale is "terrible"? One of my favorite people to come out of there (last year, I believe), is Myeongsoo Kim, and this particular grad's work is the furthest thing from "terrible" (i.e., impressive subtlety of materials choices and usage...it's fantastic!)

http://mkima.com

Brianny, what discipline are you in?

My standard reaction is: go for the best financial deal (which is probably Maryland). While Hunter has well-known faculty, I've seen terrible work from their grad students. Worse than Yale. I honestly know almost nothing about UMD's MFA program, but it's probably about as good as any state school.

Think twice about going WAY into debt just so you can live in New York and go to Hunter.

I wanted to let current and future artists know about UC Irvine. I was interviewed March 6 and just learned of my acceptance yesterday for their MFA in studio art. They do not divide by genre, although I am a sculptor working in a variety of media. Their 3-year- program is very inter-disciplinary. I received full funding for 3 years (based on in-state tuition as I am a California resident), a TA position for all 3 years and a living stipend. So.. debt free! My other options were private schools without this level of funding so I have decided to attend.

Good luck to everyone; this forum has been really helpful to me during the 2012 mfa sweepstakes !

This info on uc irvine should be added to the mfa programs with great funding list!

Poppy...

Congrats! And, please post your funding/program info to that Forum I put together:

mfa-programs-in-the-usa-with-excellent-funding-as-of-2012

Thanks!

I wanted to let current and future artists know about UC Irvine. I was interviewed March 6 and just learned of my acceptance yesterday for their MFA in studio art. They do not divide by genre, although I am a sculptor working in a variety of media. Their 3-year- program is very inter-disciplinary. I received full funding for 3 years (based on in-state tuition as I am a California resident), a TA position for all 3 years and a living stipend. So.. debt free! My other options were private schools without this level of funding so I have decided to attend.

Good luck to everyone; this forum has been really helpful to me during the 2012 mfa sweepstakes !

This info on uc irvine should be added to the mfa programs with great funding list!

Just booked a flight to NYC. I haven't been anywhere during the past 4 years of my undergrad and now I'm going to spend 8 days traveling ( 4 in San Fran and 4 in NYC with one day of work in between). Think I've narrowed it down to SFAI and City College. I know that this trip will give me the answer.

Was offered a spot today via email for MA Painting at the Royal College. They said they would let us know on the fourht, right on time. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else who applied to RCA was interested... Now to sort out funding ... 'No bursaries to international students'

Hi Nicolas,

I was also accepted to RCA's painting program. If you do end up going we'll see each other soon!

Is there anyone else who has NOT heard anything back from MassArt after their interview? It's been well over a month now and when I called a few weeks ago they told me I would definitely hear something by the end of March. The program I interviewed for is 2d. If anyone else is still left out in the cold with no answer let me know!

I was accepted to University of Maryland (full ride + stipend) and to Hunter (my dream school).

I really have no idea what to do. If you have any insight it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I don't know anything about either program, but I did my undergrad at UMD (in English, so again don't know much about the art department), but I can answer general questions about UMD. One thing I can tell you is that Hunter has a much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much better location. College Park is a dump. I took a drawing course my freshman year and remember thinking that many art students at my high school had better work than what was on display in the UMD Art/Sociology building (they share). Maybe it was really beginner stuff though. Again, I'm no judge. That was just my impression as an outsider. I did go to a graduate open studio day but I can't remember what I thought about the art (it was 4 years ago). Definitely better than what was on display in the building though.

One thing I can tell you is that Hunter has a much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much better location. College Park is a dump.

I second this. I hate College Park. There is nothing artsy or inspiring about that area, unless you're really into IKEA and used car sale lots and restaurant chains along Route 1. Public transportation to get into DC from College Park is incredibly inconvenient and time-consuming (no metro stop near campus). And the cost of living in the DC area is barely cheaper than NYC.

I would definitely visit first - but it would also depend on what your priorities are. College Park as a location is probably not an issue if you plan to be buckled down working in a studio the majority of the time.

So glad I found this forum... I was feeling kind of alone in this. I am waitlisted for Tyler's Ceramics program (which is my 1st choice) and honestly bummed out. I have to make a decision on these other schools (all different from each other) by APRIL 15TH!!!!!!! I was so dead set on Tyler that I don't think I can make the NEXT BEST decision.

So glad I found this forum... I was feeling kind of alone in this. I am waitlisted for Tyler's Ceramics program (which is my 1st choice) and honestly bummed out. I have to make a decision on these other schools (all different from each other) by APRIL 15TH!!!!!!! I was so dead set on Tyler that I don't think I can make the NEXT BEST decision.

It is good to remember that a good, even great, education can be obtained from hundreds of schools. Most of your education is really on your own shoulders anyway. The professors are only a guide. You have to make the work. That can be done anywhere. And most schools have professors that went to very good schools. I've seen low ranked schools with professors having MFA's from Columbia and Yale. Certainly they will bring the teaching style from those elite schools to the program they are working in.

I really really wanted to go to VCU and I was accepted there. However, without funding, I felt that it was not in my overall best interest. I'm very happy with my choice. If you get so wrapped up in going to only one school, then you may be depressed to go to a school that may turn out to be a better choice for you anyway. Try to remember that if a school does not pick you, then it wasn't the right school for you (at least for this year).

Getting in anywhere is an accomplishment these days as applicants submitting to round 3 or 4 will tell you.

Hey GCeramics,

Don't be bummed those are two great schools! I'll be honest, I applied to a few schools last year so this was my second time around and this past year was a much needed year in my studio. Granted I worked in my studio like a full time job (certainly as much or more than I would have if I had taken some of the schools up on their post-bac offers).

If you aren't happy with your options and you can afford to wait another year what's the harm? Chances are you'll have a stronger portfolio and another year to mature. On the other hand if you're set on going this year, I'd visit both schools and try and get a sense of what the current grad students are like and whether or not they seem to fit in with your work rate/personality/portfolio, and push for as much financial credit as you can and get.

Best of luck to you!

Just booked a flight to NYC. I haven't been anywhere during the past 4 years of my undergrad and now I'm going to spend 8 days traveling ( 4 in San Fran and 4 in NYC with one day of work in between). Think I've narrowed it down to SFAI and City College. I know that this trip will give me the answer.

I so could relate on this journey. I narrowed it to SFAI and Hunter. I'm flying this monday to check SFAI out for a week. I know most people think Hunter is the logical choice granted that I live in north jersey and work in NYC as a art handler,plus its NYC, and Hunter is relatively cheap. But its curriculum is centered on the Formalist/Modernist thought-but its cultural diversity balances it out that they are open to an alternative aesthetic.

But this city has gotten me so jaded with the pretentiousness, and the back stabbing horror stories that involve the art world. That SFAI sounds so inviting,granted I am a big fan of the Mission School Art movement,the California Funk movement,and Enrique Chagoya...its just sweet! How could a true Alternative be so expensive! But NYC is still NYC. There is absolutely nothing like it, you have the Chelsea,Soho,lower east side,and Brooklyn art scene. But I hate that time does not exist here...its so fast.

I so could relate on this journey. I narrowed it to SFAI and Hunter. I'm flying this monday to check SFAI out for a week. I know most people think Hunter is the logical choice granted that I live in north jersey and work in NYC as a art handler,plus its NYC, and Hunter is relatively cheap. But its curriculum is centered on the Formalist/Modernist thought-but its cultural diversity balances it out that they are open to an alternative aesthetic.

But this city has gotten me so jaded with the pretentiousness, and the back stabbing horror stories that involve the art world. That SFAI sounds so inviting,granted I am a big fan of the Mission School Art movement,the California Funk movement,and Enrique Chagoya...its just sweet! How could a true Alternative be so expensive! But NYC is still NYC. There is absolutely nothing like it, you have the Chelsea,Soho,lower east side,and Brooklyn art scene. But I hate that time does not exist here...its so fast.

Jacinto, a friend once told me that a fish it has no idea that it is water until its not. I firmly believe that one doesn't know their identity until they are away from what they are familiar with. Martijn van Wagtendonk once said in a guest lecture that he wasn't Dutch until he left the Netherlands and came to the United States, so maybe getting away from NYC is just what you need to have your processes/thoughts/concepts challenged by people with a new perspective. Being from the south, the east or west coast would satisfy the craving I have for these new perspectives.

I'm flying to San Fran on April 17th, so I still have another week before traveling. I'm excited to spend some time in the cities outside of the school itself to find out if i truly want to spend the next two years of my life in that city. I'm also going to visit the branches of the retail company that I work for because I will be transferring to one of those stores.

I officially turned down Hawaii and Iowa today, so it will be a choice between San Fran or New York. Which I feel like there is not a bad choice to be made.

Have fun while your in San Fran!!!

Edited by Itsem

I'm flying to San Fran on April 17th, so I still have another week before traveling. I'm excited to spend some time in the cities outside of the school itself to find out if i truly want to spend the next two years of my life in that city. I'm also going to visit the branches of the retail company that I work for because I will be transferring to one of those stores.

I would recommend working for your art dept. in some position rather than in retail if the wages are similar and there are available works study positions. Spending your precious grad school time in a job that won't benefit your career doesn't seem like the best decision to money problems. Of course, I am not in your shoes and if your making over 20/hr as a manager or something then maybe its worth it. At least for me grad school was about working on my work and experiences in the art field so I could get a job/residencies when I graduated, while also improving myself as an artist/educator. I would definitely try to work in the art field if at all possible while in grad school.

Jacinto, Did you apply to Stanford (fully funded program) to study with Enrique Chagoya? If not, this might be a great option for you. Palo Alto is not far from SF.

No...I didn't. It did not cross my mind,dammit! I should have done my research on west coat schools. I was just so keen on my target being in the bay area and Sfai was on my mind.

I should have applied though kind a regret it now.

GC, if those are the only schools where you applied, that seems strange. They're not well known for ceramics at all. Frankly, if Tyler doesn't come through I'd go again next year and apply to a range of schools, including some highly competitive ones such as Indiana, Washington, Arizona State, and then some less competitive such as CSU Long Beach, San Diego State, maybe Syracuse.

It is good to remember that a good, even great, education can be obtained from hundreds of schools. Most of your education is really on your own shoulders anyway. The professors are only a guide. You have to make the work. That can be done anywhere. And most schools have professors that went to very good schools. I've seen low ranked schools with professors having MFA's from Columbia and Yale. Certainly they will bring the teaching style from those elite schools to the program they are working in.

I really really wanted to go to VCU and I was accepted there. However, without funding, I felt that it was not in my overall best interest. I'm very happy with my choice. If you get so wrapped up in going to only one school, then you may be depressed to go to a school that may turn out to be a better choice for you anyway. Try to remember that if a school does not pick you, then it wasn't the right school for you (at least for this year).

Getting in anywhere is an accomplishment these days as applicants submitting to round 3 or 4 will tell you.

Hey GCeramics,

Don't be bummed those are two great schools! I'll be honest, I applied to a few schools last year so this was my second time around and this past year was a much needed year in my studio. Granted I worked in my studio like a full time job (certainly as much or more than I would have if I had taken some of the schools up on their post-bac offers).

If you aren't happy with your options and you can afford to wait another year what's the harm? Chances are you'll have a stronger portfolio and another year to mature. On the other hand if you're set on going this year, I'd visit both schools and try and get a sense of what the current grad students are like and whether or not they seem to fit in with your work rate/personality/portfolio, and push for as much financial credit as you can and get.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Guys... Your right! I should be focused on my work right now and the direction it is going. I am currently at PAFA for the Post Bacc program and my work has blossomed and maybe i should stay put. I did alot of work with just a kiln and no ceramics studio, which was the primary reason i was hung up on Tyler. It is up to me to make my experience wherever i am great... Thanks a lot... I feel much better now!

I would recommend working for your art dept. in some position rather than in retail if the wages are similar and there are available works study positions. Spending your precious grad school time in a job that won't benefit your career doesn't seem like the best decision to money problems. Of course, I am not in your shoes and if your making over 20/hr as a manager or something then maybe its worth it. At least for me grad school was about working on my work and experiences in the art field so I could get a job/residencies when I graduated, while also improving myself as an artist/educator. I would definitely try to work in the art field if at all possible while in grad school.

Oh, of course, the retail job is going to be in addition to what i get with the school/art field. Stipends and loans don't cover all the expenses of grad school. SFAI only estimates living expenses at around $4000 per year to live in SF. i need more than that to live in alabama per year, and i dont know if there is any neighborhood in SF where i can pay $275 in rent like i do now.