MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I would also wait for a better funding offer, an assistant curator from an internationally recognised gallery told me that your school choice shouldnt matter and that really yu will be judged on your work quality and only lazy curators choose artist for exhibition based on schools. :-/

Oh hi, Congratulations! You're for the 2yr program as well? Indeed crazy times. I'm too waiting for the financial aid offer - and I also heard from current students that it was generous [no numbers though]. The thing is, I am a U.S citizen - I just grew up in another country. So I don't exactly know what the policy there is for internationals. I haven't started looking for housing yet - since until the financial info comes up I don't know for sure that I can afford it. Have you started? Anyway - I'll keep you updated! Hope we'll meet someday :-)

Oops, sorry I just miss-clicked the red reputation button while searching.. what a stupid mistake.

I didn't want to say hi with such a mistake, but I just read your posts and I would like to congratulate on the Yale acceptance!!

and again, sorry for the reputation.

I would also wait for a better funding offer, an assistant curator from an internationally recognised gallery told me that your school choice shouldnt matter and that really yu will be judged on your work quality and only lazy curators choose artist for exhibition based on schools. :-/

Girl, I love your work.

I applied to 8 schools, got interviews with 4 and accepted at 3. One highly ranked school ( a ) that is insanely expensive and offers very little funding, one middle tier program ( b ) that offers exceptional funding (100% tuition, health insurance, and living stipend for three years), and another highly ranked program ( c ) that rejected me but offered admission into their low residency program run at a different institution. I had pretty much decided to take the amazing funding from the second school, when I got a flurry of emails from the dgs and deans office saying that the state legislature had cut their budget severely and they were retracting their entire funding offer. They said I could defer until next year and see if funding is available, but they don't know how likely that will be (outlook is bleak).

Am I crazy if I turn down all three offers and try again next year? I would love to attend school ( a ) but I really can't imagine going $100,000+ in debt at this point in my life. I don't want to do a low residency program, and waiting around for school ( b ) may not pan out.

Anyone else in a similar situation of having offers and considering turning them all down?

I agree with the others. Re-apply next year, try some different schools as well as this one, and try to get a decent package. Don't go into debt to get an MFA.

This, in spades.

After careful deliberation I am going to Hunter in the Fall. Went to SFAI, well it has a great view but mucho dinero... Not a chance. It felt like a party school to be honest.

Applied to 7 schools all painting.

MassArt-Accepted with generous funding and stipend

SMFA-Accepted some funding

City College Of New York- Accepted funding unknown

Hunter-Accepted-Attending in the Fall 2012

Tyler School Of Art-Accepted some scholarship

MICA-Interview Rejected

SFAI-Accepted some scholarship

I just called Tyler and they said my application is "still being reviewed." They told me if I don't hear anything by next week then I should call back. Is anyone else in this boat? I mean, I haven't heard a yes, no, or waitlist response. This is crazy to me.

it's strange, but it doesn't surprise me. did you interview?

i'm wait listed (it took them over a month to decide). but i think someone else on this forum who didn't interview is also wait listed.

they seem very disorganized and/or unprofessional.

I just called Tyler and they said my application is "still being reviewed." They told me if I don't hear anything by next week then I should call back. Is anyone else in this boat? I mean, I haven't heard a yes, no, or waitlist response. This is crazy to me.

I've decided on Rutgers also so I'll see you there in the fall. I feel you about New York!. All week I kept having this dream where they didn't get my acceptance letter or that I checked the wrong box. I had to go online and double check everything.

Awesome! I will see you there : ) Haha-- I hear ya, I think I'm finally over that 'on edge' feeling thats been so familiar the past few months...

PS- Make sure you join the Rutgers MFA FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/418976024795074/

Well ended up flipping last minute and going with the $$ at College Park. Plus it's a lot closer to be able to go see my family. Hope it was the right choice.

Oh my gosh!

I think for painting it will be fine. I've never regretted going for the money in grad school.

so MassArt told me I should hear something back by the end of March (having interviewed at the end of Feb for 2D program) Since I haven't received anything yet I called yesterday and they said they were running behind making decisions and the process was a little slow this year, and I should have an e-mail by the end of the week...but this is what I was told 3 weeks ago so who knows? Anyone else still waiting on a response from them?

I'm just accepted by SAIC (Film, Video, New Media and Animation, no financial support) and CMU (Fine Arts with financial support of $24500)...now I can't make a decision...does anyone knows about the Fine Arts department of CMU and give me suggestions? thx!

I'm just accepted by SAIC (Film, Video, New Media and Animation, no financial support) and CMU (Fine Arts with financial support of $24500)...now I can't make a decision...does anyone knows about the Fine Arts department of CMU and give me suggestions? thx!

They are both highly regarded schools. Unless you have lots of money, I would take the better financial offer...

I would also recommend Carnegie Mellon, and I went to SAIC.

Pittsburgh is definitely not San Francisco, but Carnegie Melon is a better school than SFAI. AND they are offering you that much money?? I'd take Carnegie Melon in a heartbeat.

so MassArt told me I should hear something back by the end of March (having interviewed at the end of Feb for 2D program) Since I haven't received anything yet I called yesterday and they said they were running behind making decisions and the process was a little slow this year, and I should have an e-mail by the end of the week...but this is what I was told 3 weeks ago so who knows? Anyone else still waiting on a response from them?

I was in exactly the same situation- I tried contacting them by phone and email a bunch of times and every time they were really vague. Finally I emailed last week and got a response today- not admitted- what I expected but I don't really understand why it took them so long to tell me. It pretty much rounds out an incredibly unsatisfactory admissions experience with massart including a bizarrely bad interview and pretty clueless admissions staff. Glad to have some closure finally.

Thanks for giving me suggestions !!! Surly CMU is a good school. But I'm not sure if it is a better choice since i'm interested in experimental video/animation and music video... :unsure: I just know Saic is famous for that program. Dose anyone know anything about that in CMU? thank you again!!

Ahhh, you're talking about SAIC not SFAI. My bad, sorry.

Carnegie Melon is ranked #1 for Multimedia/Visual Communications in the US News listings, whereas SAIC is ranked #3. Those rankings should be taken with a grain of salt, as just like everything else in the art world, it's all a popularity contest. However, It's still a good school. And if they are giving you money, all the better. Unless you'd be heartbroken if you don't go to Chicago and spend a ton of money, CMU seems like the better deal to me.

"Multimedia and visual communications is an evolving area, and graduate degree programs span video production, interactive design, and journalism instruction. These are the best fine arts schools for multimedia / visual communications."

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/multimedia-visual-communications-rankings

Thanks for giving me suggestions !!! Surly CMU is a good school. But I'm not sure if it is a better choice since i'm interested in experimental video/animation and music video... :unsure: I just know Saic is famous for that program. Dose anyone know anything about that in CMU? thank you again!!

A little off-topic but, if you are awarded scholarships, fellowships, etc but not going to the school's program, is this something that you cannot ethically add to your resume? My initial guess would be that you have to be in the program to really have 'received' the award. Just curious...