MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Congratulations to everyone on their progress so far. I just received an e-mail notification from MassArt as well inviting me for an interview for the 2d program. Does anyone know about how many applicants are invited for an interview there?

Edited by leetimko

So, I went and did a little digging on last year's freak out forum and compiled some dates so we can all have it in one place :)

I focused on painting and drawing though, so these are rough guidelines from posts by applicants for 2011 in painting and drawing mostly (or otherwise indicated):

UPenn- phone interview 2/16--ACCEPTED 3/7 (phone)

SAIC FIBER- phone interview 3/5--ACCEPTED 3/10 (letter)

SAIC PAINTING- phone interview 3/5--REJECTED (letter)

CalArts- REJECTED 2/22 (letter)

VCU- Phone interview 2/25- Waitlisted 3/7

Yale- interviewed 3/22-REJECTED 4/2

RISD- interviewed 3/23 - waitlisted 3/29

Hunter- Rejected 3/18

Columbia- Rejected 4/1

Cranbrook-interview 3/28-waitlisted 4/8- accepted 4/14

UCLA-Rejected 3/12

UCSD-Rejected 2/28

SVA-Accepted 3/22

NYU-sculpture-Accepted 3/29

NYU-digital-Accepted 3/29

Pratt-Accepted 3/29 (with merit scholarship)

Indiana University- sculpture- Accepted 3/16

Hope this helps, it just made me more anxious!

Hi Everyone,

Just so y'all know, I got my rejection letter from University of Michigan today. Just a heads up that they are on their way - though for those who haven't heard yet, I still have fingers crossed for y'all! Stay positive out there!

This is awful!

I haven't gotten a single interview request yet but I did get two rejections already.

This is my third time applying to grad school.

At what point do you just let it go and move on with your life?

I've decided that if i don't get into grad school it's a sign that I have all the critical input I need already. I don't care if that sounds naive. And I've decided that since I'll have all the critical input I need it is time for me to make the biggest (not necessary physically large), baddest, hardest, smartest series of paintings I can conceive of and push myself harder than I ever have before. Life is art, right? We may as well demonstrate that.

Plus I think of all the artists who's work I really admire who never went to grad school. That makes me feel better too.

This is awful!

I haven't gotten a single interview request yet but I did get two rejections already.

This is my third time applying to grad school.

At what point do you just let it go and move on with your life?

I've decided that if i don't get into grad school it's a sign that I have all the critical input I need already. I don't care if that sounds naive. And I've decided that since I'll have all the critical input I need it is time for me to make the biggest (not necessary physically large), baddest, hardest, smartest series of paintings I can conceive of and push myself harder than I ever have before. Life is art, right? We may as well demonstrate that.

Plus I think of all the artists who's work I really admire who never went to grad school. That makes me feel better too.

This is something to think about also: when I went to Columbia's open house, they flat out said that even if they love your work, if they don't think they can help you, they aren't going to accept you. Now, that obviously doesn't necessarily mean that you're ready for shows in Chelsea. It just means that these "rejections" have so many different factors built into them, it's not just based on your work. If an institution doesn't think they can offer you anything, even though they might really respond to what you are doing, they won't take you anyway. I've been told over and over again that getting into these programs is like having all these factors align like the stars. Factors which often times have very little to do with your actual work.

Reeeee-JECT-ed by University of Michigan!

On to University of Chicago interview next Friday. :)

(btw, a good friend of mine has an interview at Northwestern, for those of you interested in that school. March 3rd...looks like I struck on that school too, ha.)

Edited by OutWest

I am just trying and forget that I applied to school.

i feel ya.

I'm with you guys.

Congratulations to the Penndesign, Massart and Calarts finalists !

Edited by kazoo

I got the same email from UPenn this morning. 10 minutes seems incredibly short for an interview. Anyone else have experience with their interview/admissions process?

Agree. First I was thinking they might want to test my English, as I’m an international applicant!

Anyway, wish you luck!

Agree. First I was thinking they might want to test my English, as I’m an international applicant!

Anyway, wish you luck!

When is your phone interview? From what I remember when I went through last years forum they just asked a few questions such as why you wanted to go to penn.

Good luck!

When is your phone interview? From what I remember when I went through last years forum they just asked a few questions such as why you wanted to go to penn.

Good luck!

This Monday. Thank you!

Edited by outline

I got two interview invitations so far, from Yale and MICA [yay].

Congratulations!

I'm curious when and how you heard from MICA. I'm applying there for painting and am anxious to get some news. I know you're applying for GD, so it's also possible that the dates are different for different programs. Has anyone else heard a peep from MICA?

EDIT: Okay, funny story. I realized now, at 4am, that I hadn't checked the mail today. So I went out, and sure enough, there's a massive envelope from MICA!! So I'm actually almost crying in the dark by my mailbox. Run inside, tear it open, shaking... it's A BUNCH OF PAMPHLETS. About their exciting new programs. *screams* What??? Why would... whaaat???? Is this some kind of joke, to send us your pamphlets at this precise moment in our anticipation process? If so, okay, it's a little funny. But that moment when I read "Dear [my name]," and down a line to: "generic stuff about programs you didn't apply to, I'm the new Vice Provost, MICA's pretty cool. Okay bye!"

Man... that was a serious emotional bait-and-switch. MICA, I already want to go to you! You do not need to convince me, just please tell me whether or not I can.

Edited by canarybones

Congratulations!

I'm curious when and how you heard from MICA. I'm applying there for painting and am anxious to get some news. I know you're applying for GD, so it's also possible that the dates are different for different programs. Has anyone else heard a peep from MICA?

EDIT: Okay, funny story. I realized now, at 4am, that I hadn't checked the mail today. So I went out, and sure enough, there's a massive envelope from MICA!! So I'm actually almost crying in the dark by my mailbox. Run inside, tear it open, shaking... it's A BUNCH OF PAMPHLETS. About their exciting new programs. *screams* What??? Why would... whaaat???? Is this some kind of joke, to send us your pamphlets at this precise moment in our anticipation process? If so, okay, it's a little funny. But that moment when I read "Dear [my name]," and down a line to: "generic stuff about programs you didn't apply to, I'm the new Vice Provost, MICA's pretty cool. Okay bye!"

Man... that was a serious emotional bait-and-switch. MICA, I already want to go to you! You do not need to convince me, just please tell me whether or not I can.

Hi, thanks a lot!

I heard from MICA on the 7th - true, the dates may be different for GD. They sent me an email notifying me that I an a finalist. So check your email!

Annoying about the pamphlets... I listed my parent's address :]

Good luck!!

Hi, thanks a lot!

I heard from MICA on the 7th - true, the dates may be different for GD. They sent me an email notifying me that I an a finalist. So check your email!

Annoying about the pamphlets... I listed my parent's address :]

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info :) No email yet. Guess I'll try and hold out a little hope until some other painters hear back.

Hi canarybones, last year I was contacted for an interview at MICA (Hoffberger) on the 16th of february. I know for a fact that every program there handles their own admissions process in their own time frame. So until people post about Hoffberger or Mt Royal (if you applied there), it's normal not to have heard back!

best of luck

oh and for the massive envelope story, SAIC did the same thing to me! soo cruel! and redundant since, as you said, we already know we want to go!

Edited by kazoo

Hi canarybones, last year I was contacted for an interview at MICA (Hoffberger) on the 16th of february. I know for a fact that every program there handles their own admissions process in their own time frame. So until people post about Hoffberger or Mt Royal (if you applied there), it's normal not to have heard back!

best of luck

Ah, thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better.

oh and for the massive envelope story, SAIC did the same thing to me! soo cruel! and redundant since, as you said, we already know we want to go!

SAIC sent me one as well, but I thought it was a nice gesture since they must've sent them out right when the apps went in--I knew they couldn't possibly have made a decision in two weeks or so, and I wasn't expecting anything when I opened it. However, I do think it was nice of both them and MICA to at least give us something for our application fee, you know? MICA just freaked me out because it's within the possible notification window x_x

Edited by canarybones