MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

no word just yet for me. I know UCLA painting notifications go out 'mid march'. As for Columbia, no word yet. How did you find out about your rejection from Tyler? Congratulations on your interview at RISD, that is excellent!

Thanks! You too! It was snail mail (and an update on the application status page)

I think UCLA made first round decisions on New Genres and Media Arts...that's what I've been hearing or have come across on this Forum. Don't think I've seen any of the painting people say they received an answer from them.

A friend who applied for painting just got a phone acceptance from UCLA without an interview. From what I've heard, UCLA's acceptance process is more organic than others.

Outwest - I am located in India. Are there any other options like teaching assistanships etc.. which might be of little help in taking care of my livelihood there.... if I plan to attend this school.

Also do have any clue on how is this school... even if i take loans and plan to study here.. will it be worth spending so much for an MFA from this school / or should I take chance and reapply next year?

Outwest - I am located in India. Are there any other options like teaching assistanships etc.. which might be of little help in taking care of my livelihood there.... if I plan to attend this school.

Also do have any clue on how is this school... even if i take loans and plan to study here.. will it be worth spending so much for an MFA from this school / or should I take chance and reapply next year?

It depends on your work and what you are really searching for, but PAFA is OK.

What other schools have you applied to?

I got an email asking for an interview from UCONN last week! It's a really small but awesome program...

Has anyone been up there to visit? I'm planning on checking it out when I can, I was wondering what the facilities are like though?

I got an email asking for an interview from UCONN last week! It's a really small but awesome program...

Has anyone been up there to visit? I'm planning on checking it out when I can, I was wondering what the facilities are like though?

I have never actually been there but I have heard nothing but great things about UCONN

Hi guys, these are really terrific questions, but I am certainly not the best person to answer them. Definitely email the departments and see what they say. The Financial Aid people are the best shot, and start by searching their sites for "International Applicants" to see if there is direct contact info...best of luck!

Really? Are there any certain policies on funding international applicants?

(From what I have seen, international funding is rare outside of PhD-level research academia. BUT, I have heard of some schools funding international students well...I believe UCSD, where I currently do my undergrad, does 1 or so a year...the bigger research institutions such as state-funded universities are the best bet on this. But, find the schools you like and contact them for sure)

Edited by OutWest

Has anyone been invited for an interview by the painting department at Cranbrook yet?

Yeah, my boyfriend is going out next week for his and I believe someone on this forum is going to one as well.

When did you hear from SUNY Purchase? And how?

Thanks to zecchi for letting for posting about Rutgers. I checked and I got in also!!! After getting rejected by SUNY Purchase and then getting the post-bacc offer from SAIC I figured all the schools would be a no go and I would have to reapply next year. I've been lurking around for a few years now checking out the application process till I decided to apply this year. I've been trying to avoid even thinking about this whole process but coming on here and seeing every going through the same thing is actually very relieving.

If you want to get a teaching position, the biggest, most reputable college that will give you lots of teaching experience is the best choice. Factor that in with finances. Generally those teaching assistantships come along with a good offer.

Thanks! How does one typically get a teaching position while a grad. student? These positions are usually competitive positions, right? So hopefully you get one year of teaching or if you are lucky two years or three years?

Univ of Oregon - Checked status online and says:

Department Recommendation: Admitted, Conditional Masters, Art.

Graduate School Action: Pending

So, it looks like they have made decisions but have not yet sent them out.

Thanks! How does one typically get a teaching position while a grad. student? These positions are usually competitive positions, right? So hopefully you get one year of teaching or if you are lucky two years or three years?

Some schools offer graduate teaching assistantships with or without tuition waivers and/or stipends while teaching. Usually if you get an assistantship, you get some sort of compensation which can be a little or a great deal (tens of thousands). Some have the TA's assist a professor or senior grad student during the teaching. Some will even let the grad student be the teacher of record (which you want on your cv if you can get it). Also, it is obvious from looking at the "lecturers" at many schools, that they hire recent MFA graduates to teach as they continue their search for more permanent positions elsewhere. Any and all of those things are valuable to reduce the cost of your education and to add to your experience.

Rutgers, where you are accepted, often has very good compensation but you have to send them a letter after getting accepted, to explain your teaching experiences, your technical skills, and your need. If you have been accepted, ask them about it by phone.

These positions can be very valuable. I received three of them so far. One of them includes tuition waiver, stipend, and health/dental/vision insurance coverage. If I add it all up, it is worth slightly less than $50,000 per year. That financial package is really helping me to make my decision.

Edited by Fool4nine

@jjr8888 I got a letter on 2/24 from Purchase letting me know I wasn't in. I'm also going to try for a TA position at Rutgers. I'm waiting for the financial stuff to come in to decide but I'm pretty sure I'm going there. If anyone needs info on USF in Tampa let me know. I finished undergrad there and have lived here almost all my life.

@jjr8888 I got a letter on 2/24 from Purchase letting me know I wasn't in. I'm also going to try for a TA position at Rutgers. I'm waiting for the financial stuff to come in to decide but I'm pretty sure I'm going there. If anyone needs info on USF in Tampa let me know. I finished undergrad there and have lived here almost all my life.

Univ of Oregon - Checked status online and says:

Department Recommendation: Admitted, Conditional Masters, Art.

Graduate School Action: Pending

So, it looks like they have made decisions but have not yet sent them out.

Congratulations OutWest! My application hasn't changed...so hopefully they haven't updated the painting/drawing applicants yet. We shall see.

Congratulations OutWest! My application hasn't changed...so hopefully they haven't updated the painting/drawing applicants yet. We shall see.

Thanks Josholas!! Yes, I am more of a new genre guy, so hopefully the painters are next!

Edited by OutWest

Has anyone been invited for an interview by the painting department at Cranbrook yet?

Hey congrats on your SAIC interview! I'm going out for my interview with Cranbrook next week also. I'm really looking forward to seeing the campus and meeting everyone. I've never been so feel free to let me know anything about the area. I see you are from Michigan which is why I ask... Best of luck with the rest of your process!

If you're asking opinions - develop your work, research all the schools you're interested in (if you don't know where to start, check some threads on these forums for places people have applied to), and apply to schools next year that are a balance of excellent funding and good for your work. If you really want to spend the amount of money that PAFA wants from you, you might as well spend it in a more prestigous institution.

So, to all of those interviewing at CalArts via Skype on March 8 for Photo/Media.....has anyone heard a time time yet???

I still haven't gotten an email from the department, do you guys know what's going on?

Still haven't heard from CalArts!