BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

noojeans-

I posted a profile in that thread just now.

I can certainly see my weaknesses. But I'm still surprised they warranted all those rejections...

I think the whole process is a crapshot. There are way too many qualified applicants this year and they are just throwing darts at a dartboard...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waiting_it_out / the_student / rbme: I'm pretty sure Georgia Tech ACCEPTED 50-55 students last year, and then 28 enrolled. And from what I've heard, some labs here are tight on money right now... sooo... yeah.

I'm assuming all 3 of you will be at the recruitment weekend? I'm going too. See you all there.

rbme: thanks for that piece of information...its good to know that...and

name: I guess it makes sense that they accept that many if 28 were to enroll...

Its probably going to depend on how many PIs are going to be able to fund students....etc..In any case, let's keep our hopes up!! good luck to all 3 of you and will see you March 8th!

noojeans-

I posted a profile in that thread just now.

I can certainly see my weaknesses. But I'm still surprised they warranted all those rejections...

Thanks Nrets :) Your application looks really strong to me - great GPA and solid GRE scores. Although I was talking to the graduate secretary at my school, and she said that this year the median GRE quantitative score was 800. It seems like the GRE is kind of meaningless now, because engineering grad schools don't care about verbal/writing, and apparently 50%+ of applicants get perfect scores on the quantitative part. It's enough to make me think about retaking it, even though I got a 770 quant last time. Heh.

Anyway, congrats on Cornell and good luck on MIT. You never know!

P.S. Everyone else should post their profiles in the stickied thread at the top of this forum! Do it! :mrgreen:

onetwo: I am waiting to hear from UC Irvine too.... I don't know whats taking them so long? there was an acceptance early in Feb 5th...and then again yesterday....the acceptances seem so spread out...

Dove: you got an acceptance from UCI right? Is there a recruitment event or an open house at all?

I still haven't heard anything from Columbia BME...and their application deadline was December 1. Although I saw quite a few people got accepted in March and early April last year. Also waiting on Cornell, NC State, and Pitt.

wow.. guess i should've said that a long time ago... b/c not long after I posted that on the forum.. I got an email from UCLA saying that I was accepted to the BME IDP Ph.D. program!! :) No word on funding.. but I"m still VERY excited!! Woo for my first one! :D

Congrats daddys_girl!! That's great news....and a straight acceptance at that...now you can breath normally :D I wish I'd hear back from UCI and CMU...I'm beginning to think that they are going to be rejections...which I don't understand...I was sure I'd get an invite from both..oh well....

oh btw guys...what's the deal with Duke? according to fenguin from the BME 2009 thread, they should have had 2 recruitment weekends by now and there should be one on March.....so that's a rejection too right? I just wish they'd let us know ....

I havn't seen anything from Duke though... and historically speaking they should have sent out things in early Feb. Got an acceptance from Chicago today, but they want a response by March 13th, no funding, and no visit unless I set it up and fund on my own, so that's not really an attractive option right now.

I'm going to throw the question out there again-

Has anyone heard from MIT ChE? What gives?

People are reporting tons of results for all the other top schools (CalTech, Berk, Stan, Minn, Wisc, Prince, Cornell, UCSB). What the hell is going on w/MIT? :-|

I'm going to throw the question out there again-

Has anyone heard from MIT ChE? What gives?

People are reporting tons of results for all the other top schools (CalTech, Berk, Stan, Minn, Wisc, Prince, Cornell, UCSB). What the hell is going on w/MIT? :-|

Hi, OChemE, MIT has given a few admits, I received one on 13 Feb. But its still in the process of reviewing so dont stress on the fact that others have heard and u havent , u have a great profile and surely get in. Best of Luck

@UDChemE

ok, and you know this because??

Btw that is damn weird you still have not heard from UCB if you heard from MIT already.

My MIT application was a piece of sh*t because I turned it in way early. The other four apps I filled out were great and I bothered to put effort into the essays and explained how I could contribute to specific research groups. For MIT I basically laundry listed my accomplishments and prior research and vaguely named a bunch of groups that were in line with my experience and my interests (although interests were pretty vaguely defined at best). Whatever the outcome, I have definitely seen a big range of answers. My replies have run the gamut from an early accept to Berkeley (Dec 18) to an outright reject from Stanford on Feb 18. Because of the unpredictability of my responses, I really can't decide one way or another if I can expect to get into MIT. Congrats to you though for getting in.

@OChemE

I saw u r profile on CC its great and apart from Stanford (Dunno why??)all colleges have seen that fact. Also when I inquired, MIT responed that they are reducing class size hence carefully evaluating each students and they will be atleast giving admits till the first week of march. ( so keep your fingers crossed, maybe you and Nrets might hear from MIT any time now :D ).

In any case, you have already got in colleges, which most of us only dream to get in :wink: so you must feel proud of yourself at the least.

Got an admit into UMich ChemE with full funding (RA+tuition fee waiver).. had done internship over there. Now i have to decide between U Wisc - U Mich.. what do you guys suggest? what factors should i consider as both are giving equal funding...?

btw, i still havent heard from mit.. :(

@UDChemE

Nope- got my MIT reject letter today by email. Go figure. Here's my results summary, as they are all in now. There is a hell of a variation in responses, as you will see.

Berkeley - admitted Dec 18

Princeton - admitted Jan 29

CalTech - admitted Feb 20

Stanford - rejected Feb 18

MIT - rejected Feb 27

What doesn't jive is the acceptance to CalTech and the ultra early acceptance to Berkeley, yet somehow the reject from MIT. There's just a massive range to my responses, and I don't know what to make of it. At least the waiting is over with. Btw I had no contact w/ any of the profs at Berkeley, nor did I go to undergrad there so I don't know what was up w/the early accept.

I have classmates from undergrad that are at MIT and hate it. One of them in particular wanted to get into Berkeley and was rejected twice, go figure. There are four people I went to undergrad with that are at Berkeley and love it. CalTech is going to be more isolated and more academic. The campus is also not going to be as diverse, as the whole institution is more focused on technical fields. CalTech's researh interests are also very narrow relative to the larger programs (MIT, Berk, Prince, Minn, Wisc, etc.). CalTech and Berkeley are also less traditional ChemE programs in terms of research. They are tied in a lot more with the Chemistry dept and some people are even co-advised. The only schools like that are Berkeley, CalTech, and Illinois.