BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

I contacted MIT on Friday to see if the letters were to be mailed that day, and if so, could I receive my decision. The reason I asked was that my slight schedules for business travel over the next couple of weeks depend on whether I am accepted and need to attend the recruiting weekend. I was emailed back my rejection letter and a response that the letters had gone to the dean on Friday and would be distributed. Whether they are acceptances or rejections, I don't know, but mine was a rejection. I am also reading lots of news about Stanford and MIT taking huge budget cuts because their endowments have plunged 30 percent after the economy tanked.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COULD we have chosen a worse year to apply?? seriously, If I had known that the economy is going to tank and was going to take a toll on funding in schools, I would hot have applied this year...especially being a foreign student!!

oh btw, onetwo and Dove: fyi, I spoke with Karen stephens today and she told me that what UC Irvine's going to have this weekend is not a recruitment weekend and its a visitation weekend and thats the only one they have. So If you didn't receive an acceptance until now, you are probably rejected...I can't believe that I didn't get an acceptance from UC Irvine when I was invited to GA Tech....it just seems bizarre....I was counting on UCI as a sure thing!! anyways, I guess the budget cuts kind of explain that...especially for a foreign student...and this being a california school...it kind of sucks...but what can you do...

OchemE,

That sucks. Sorry man. You still got a lot of good schools to choose from though, so you should be happy. For me, it looks like I won't even have a choice, I'm either going to Cornell or not going to grad school this year. From what they told you it sounds like they're sending all their rejections out by snail mail. I don't see why it's so hard to send the rejections by e-mail. I am seriously checking my mail box (my real one) every day hoping for my MIT rejection letter just so I can stop worrying about it.

If I were accepted, I imagine they would notify me by e-mail anyways, instead of sending a time critical package via snail mail.

If I don't hear anything today, I think I might just call them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey does anybody know what a reduced tuition fee mean ? I have been sent an email by Gatech that my GA amount would be ~26000 and my reduced tuition fee would be ~1600 .. what do I infer from these statements ?

@Halycon - I think that it includes fees other than those billed for credit hours. Student fees, activity fees, recreation fees, engineering college fee etc. Getting a full tuition waiver takes care of the xyz$/credit hour fee and not the others. That is what was told by a grad student during the interview weekend.

Got into GA Tech...I am so excited, exhausted and more than anything...relieved....finally....I am speaking while I breathe normally...he he...and I can't remember the last time I was able to do it :D..

The_Student: so you are going to GA Tech right?...I haven't heard anything from Duke yet...I'm going to assume that is a no....I haven't told yes to GA Tech yet, but I probably will pretty soon...how about you? Hey are you going to do the BME or the bioE?

waiting_it_out: Congratulations !!!!

Yes, I am 99.9% sure about going to Gatech :)

I got into the PKU-BME program and am going to stick with it, would be cool if I could do a year in China but lets see otherwise will switch to BME. The two people I am interested in, work at Emory so I am thinking the BME program will be more beneficial for me. What about you?

The_Student: Thanks! yea I'm most probably going there too..I haven't heard from Duke or Carnegie Mellon (weird, It wasn't even one of my top choices!!)....I would have liked to have heard from Duke...but I guess it is a tough year for foreign applicants...I'm just glad that GA Tech didn't seem to have such qualms regarding funding for International students...I feel very fortunate to have been accepted there. I'm thinking about the joint BME program with Emroy as well.

rbme/name/andgc: have you guys decided where you are going yet?

Nrets: I just noted that all of your rejections so far are from California schools...I met someone who was interviewed at JHU and GA Tech but were rejected at Berkely, another interviewed for MIT-Harvard HST program, JHU, GA Tech, Berkely but rejected from Stanford....also in general I met many people who got into top schools but rejected from Berkely and Stanford...I just feel like it is generally a tough year for applications, and more so for California schools..are you a resident of California? If not, that may explain your rejections...

I'm not a CA resident and just got my second admit from a CA school... so far I've got 3 admits, 3 rejections, and still waiting on three more schools information. I've only gotten funding from one school so far.. I'm hoping that will come soon... I can't really afford any school without some sort of funding package.. :-/

So UNC sends me an e-mail about funding - before they sent me the acceptance letter. Though I went to the application site and was able to view it electronically. Checked if Duke was doing the same thing - apparently not. Has ANYONE heard from Duke BME??

I haven't...but I met quite a few people who went for interviews at Duke...so I'm pretty sure its rejection. Duke admission process does work pretty differently...basically professors choose students and contact them....if there is not a perfect match (according to the professors), they you are out regardless of your qualifications...its your research interests and the right match with a professor that gets you in...

Wondering if anyone was rejected from the PhD program in BME at Cornell and not offered to have their application reviewed for admission to the mEng program? Further wondering if anyone who chose to have their application reviewed for the mEng program was not admitted to the mEng program? Thanks......

I applied for the ChemEng PhD and was rejected but I asked if I am interested in the MENG program as it would be the perfect fit for me!!! I guess it is an admit with no funding I am not sure though

Congratulations to all who've gotten acceptances!

As you BioE/ChemE folks receive those last responses from the schools you're still waiting on, could you please post your profiles (GPA/GRE/research) in the Profiles Thread? It will help with our continued correlation of profiles and results.

Many thanks :)

- Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator