BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

So, I called Stanford Chemical Engineering last Friday. The graduate coordinator informed me that they have a new admissions committee and that decisions are taking longer than normal, sorry for waiting.

That's great news! I hope to hear from them soon because the anxiety is killing me.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so GA Tech HAS sent out their invites...that means I'm out of there too...Its going to be a rejection for sure because I think they send their invites out on the same day since two people seem to have gotten it on the same day in this forum....this is so frustrating!!!

I went to undergrad for chemistry and biochemistry at the U of MN. I have a math minor, but no engineering classes. So I had to be selective about the schools I applied to and my chances are arleady slim because of that, I think. I just hope that I get into at least one program....I've only received one rejection (JHU). But, since I am not invited to GA Tech yet, i'm probably out there too. I am beginning to lose it!!!

@waiting-it-out: I can imagine the not taking engineering classes being an issue for some schools. All I can say is keep waiting for now!

I called UCSD today and they told me that my application has not been reviewed. But they also said that interview invitations have been made. I am completely frustrated as to how can they invite students without even completing reviews first. They said that a definite answer should be 'hopefully' available by the end of this week.

the_student: I think some universities kind of do the rolling admissions process....I know it seems strange and I have no idea how they manage to controll that process...maybe they eliminate more after interviews in those schools?? So you probably still have a good chance of getting an invite, don't you think?

So here's some interesting piece of news....I just got a generic email from the graduate coordinator at  Washington University in St. Louis. It says that the admission decision will be available on 2/11/09 on the website. That has to be a rejection right? I mean, if its an invite, I wouldn't be asked to check the website in 2 days....that would be absurd....so my question is, why the hell not just tell me already??? or not say anything and just send me a freaking email with the rejection in 2 days...now you have me wait another torturous 2 days...for what?? it feels like a cruel joke!!

waiting_it_out: I myself am a biology student, though I've taken a couple of extra math and computer classes. No engineering classes though. So I also had to be selective with the schools. So far I got rejected from Berkeley and JHU. Still waiting on Duke, Harvard, UMD, and UNC. I do feel like those schools CLAIMED that they were okay with non-engineering students, but who knows =/ hope I get in somewhere! and good luck to you!

Does anyone have any word of mouth about PhD ChE acceptances at the following places? Truly, I can't complain too much because I've gotten a few acceptances, but I'm wondering what the deal is on the seven schools I haven't heard back from yet ?

Yale

Colorado School of Mines

University of Arizona

WUSTL

Cornell

Northwestern (pretty sure they have let a bunch of people know and are doing visits soon...meh)

Davis

Wondering why I got into my highest rated school and not any of the other ones.

Hey Tati: I agree....all the schools I applied to were pretty open to physical science and biology majors with sufficient mathematics background.....now I"m beginning to have second thoughts about it...maybe when you have such a huge number of engineering majors applying, they tend to favor engineering background at that point?...who knows...but there were schools that flat out refused to accept non-engineering majors...so the ones that didn't say that have got to be accepting at least a few non-engineering majors right???? but how few is the critical question I guess....anyways...good luck to you too...let's keep our fingers crossed!!

Anyone else not heard from anywhere except for rejections??? I've been rejected from JHU and Washington University in St. Louis so far. I called GA Tech and they said that the invites have been sent out to the top students and the final decisions will be made by March 15th. So, if you didn't receive an invitation for the recruitment even during March 8-10, then you are most likely out. They may send some acceptances to International students living outside of US after the recruitment weekend. She did say that they meet every week, but most of the invitations have been sent out. My application has been reviewed and I didn't make it to the top list...so even though she didn't say it flat out, I"m rejected...So now all I have left is Duke, UC Irvine and Carnegie mellon. Do any of you know if Carnegie mellon has extended invitations? I know there was an acceptance from UC Irvine early february. Do anyone else know if there have been other acceptances? I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll get into even one program now...I'm not sure what I'll do If I don't get in anywhere!!!

Accepted:

Rejected: JHU, WashU, most likely GA Tech

Waiting: Duke, Carnegie Mellon, UC Irvine

I'm feeling the same way! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be going anywhere this fall... why didn't I apply to like 20 schools again? I thought 9 would be enough! Anyways, I know ppl have heard from USC, UCSD, GA Tech, and I think Duke and I haven't... I've gotten two rejections so far. I know Univ of Arizona isn't reviewing applications until next week with decisions by the end of the month.. I'm hoping to get in there! **fingers crossed** :)

daddys_girl: At least you applied to 9...I'm feeling so stupid right now for only having applied to 6!! Among them 3 in the top 5!! I am just hoping Carnegie mellon lets me know something.....I feel sooooo tired and anxious all the time...the past few months might have been the most depressing months of my whole life!!!

So far, this week has been pretty dull. I havn't seen hardly any updates on the board for BME.... I thought things were really going to start picking up too. I'm bummed about Georgia Tech. I'm really hoping they just didn't get to my app last friday and it will make it in this time. Oh well.

I'm hoping the same thing about GA Tech. Today I got an email from Colorado saying my application was incomplete even though I got an acceptance letter via email on the 14th of last month. Needless to say that's kind of unsettling, but I'm hoping it's a simple administrative error.

Hi all,

thought i'd join in. I got in to UC Davis and UC Irvine...irvine let me know a decision was being made shortly (a few days) before i heard back, for whoever was saying they are in a similar situation.

Hey Dove and Edailing:

I was an undergrad at UVA last year and have been keeping in touch with a lot of my professors. From what they have told me decisions for interviews have not been made yet and the earliest they would be made would be this Friday (probably not till next week). Good Luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info on UVA. I haven't heard back anything from BU, Cornell, or any other school I've applied to.

I heard back from UC Irvine on Feb 5th, but I think they might still be in the deciding process.

I said last week that if I don't hear anything by Friday I am going to go crazy. Well it's Friday.

Still waiting on Stanford, Caltech, MIT, and Berkeley. What a quiet week. Next week is probably going to be magic week.