How much is applying going to cost you this fall?

Kitkat

With the application fee that is necessary to submit to get your application looked at to the cost of the GRE, how much is applying to grad school going to cost you for applying this year?

For me,

$475 for application fees

$240 for first and second takes at the GRE (second time was at the 1/2 price offer for the revised GRE period)

$92 to send score reports to the schools I couldn't send with free score reports(4 on top of the ones that I sent out for free)

$70 for sending out transcripts

Total: $877

I took the GRE twice early this year, so that's already paid for.

In total my application fees will add up to $350, not including GRE scores and transcripts. I went to two different schools for undergrad, so I have the enjoyment of requesting twice the number of transcripts as usual. I prefer not to think about how much the total cost for that is, as they say...ignorance is bliss!

Not too bad so far. I've only paid for the grant app stuff as of right now (>$100). Also, no associated GRE costs as schools in the greater true-north-strong-and-free area don't need 'em.

I'm gunning for an interdisciplinary PhD and am pretty committed to Toronto, so I'll likely only be applying to 3 schools, but at least 2 or 3 departments within each of these. This wouldn't be so bad, except each departmet needs its own app fee/transcripts ect; (I'm looking at YOU University of Toronto and your $110 (plus transcript/postage fee) a pop!)

My MA apps ran up to about $520 CND, I'm anticipating that the PhD will set me back a similar amount.

I forgot about U of Ts per department fee. So silly. I applied to two programs there, so $220 and another $100 for Ryerson. $320 total. Luckily I can get as many transcripts I want from my undergrad for free! Even though they secretly charge all of us in our fees, I think I have MORE than taken advantage of that. U of T does not give out free transcripts, but I shouldn't need any anytime soon.

Applying to 10 schools:

GRE test + extra scores: $255

Transcripts: $205 (Ugh, tried avoiding going to multiple schools because of this, but 4 schools it is)

Applications: $395 (Thank goodness for CSU fee waivers!)

Total: $855 :mellow:

Just a note: A lot, if not most, of the schools I am applying to are taking unofficial transcripts, and then if I get accepted, they will then request the official, which I think is nice and will save me just a little bit of money.

I've avoided an exact tally ever since doing applications last year (as well as two years before that, for my MA). It was somewhere between $800 and $1,000 each time I'm sure, but ignorance has somewhat dulled the pain. ;)

GEEZ!!! I was just about to ask what's the going rate for application fees and things nowadays. It's been a few years since I applied, but I actually applied to Ph.D. program 3 different times.... in 3 different years before I got in. I cannot even begin to imagine the total costs of just "trying" to get into grad school.

Also don't forget about postage!

With GRE testing costs (took it twice, and spent quite a bit on study material), sending extra score reports, ordering and mailing transcripts, and the actual application fees for 9 schools, I'm looking at about $1500.

• 2 weeks later...

Applying to 11 programs, paying international student application fee, sending GRE and TOEFL scores, ordering transcripts and sending them overseas: somewhere around 1,200$.

Good thing my parents look at my PhD as an investment...

j/k

• 2 weeks later...

Applying to 9 separate programs:

Application Fees: $736

GRE test and study materials and ASRs: $80+160+96=336

Transcripts=$49

Total=$1,121.

Has anyone considered applying for Application Fee Waivers? I might be eligible for waivers, but am not sure how that's going to look to the admissions committee. Or do they not care?

• 2 weeks later...

With the application fee that is necessary to submit to get your application looked at to the cost of the GRE, how much is applying to grad school going to cost you for applying this year?

For me,

$475 for application fees

$240 for first and second takes at the GRE (second time was at the 1/2 price offer for the revised GRE period)

$92 to send score reports to the schools I couldn't send with free score reports(4 on top of the ones that I sent out for free)

$70 for sending out transcripts

Total: $877

$300 application fees

$65 transcripts

• 2 months later...

I applied to 7 program, which is $700 approx. in application fees alone. But the fact that I went to 4 different schools for my Undergrad - and some programs requesting 2 official transcripts per school attended - meant that I spent about $1500 total :S

Before anyone asks how I managed to go to 4 schools for my undergrad, I did my first year at one local university, transferred in my second year to a different local university (the school I graduated from), studied abroad in Australia for a semester at yet another university, and took a summer French language bursary program at a university in Montreal. Every school wanted at least 1 official transcript from each of those 4, and UBC even wanted an official translated copy for my Canadian french transcript. Added up FAST!

$4,000 for fee and mailing

$4,000 for travel costs back and forward to the US

$1,500 for tests and other cost

Is this for real? I'm also an international student and I don't think it will cost that much unless you applied to like 20+ programs. I voted you up though.

For MBA applications, the cost is 250 each for the top ten schools; factor in costs for transportation if you are invited to interview.

My total costs amounts to

670 app fees

160 GRE

69 GRE score reports

67 transportation to interview

966 Total

How do i factor in costs associated with stress? I've been drinking and eating a little more to deal with my anxiety.