0% Confidence of Acceptance

Guys, the radio silence is over! I FINALLY heard from Vanderbilt; looks like I've been waitlisted.

CONGRATULATIONS ME TOO THAT WAS THE NICEST EMAIL EVER TOO

Congrats! I'm so happy that both of you got some news. I hope it works out. :)

Guys, the radio silence is over! I FINALLY heard from Vanderbilt; looks like I've been waitlisted.

http://www.overloadit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/its-something.jpg

That's MORE than something. Vanderbilt is amazing. Congratulations and I hope it materializes for you!!

Ditto, and congrats to you too, girl who wears glasses!

I would love a WL right about now, especially at such an awesome school! I'm sure you both have acceptances on the way. :)

Edit: also, thanks for the additional info, dazed! As a flat-out reject, those application numbers are actually somewhat comforting.

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

Got my first rejection letter today. I think my confidence just took a nosedive. 

Everyone gets rejected by somewhere at some point in their careers. Don't let it get to you. It really isn't an evaluation of your objective merits, it's more like a bunch of dice rolls.

Everyone gets rejected by somewhere at some point in their careers. Don't let it get to you. It really isn't an evaluation of your objective merits, it's more like a bunch of dice rolls.

I second this, which is why I allowed myself so many dice rolls.

can one drop below 0% confidence? I'm now 100% confident of rejection. The worst thing is, I don't even get to feel 'why did I feel they'd accept me and why did I apply'. I know why I applied and I know what I really want to work on. Just I won't get to work on it. :rolleyes:

I got my first rejection email today as well. I am still confidant though! Just stay positive! :):D

awesome.jpeg

Thanks this is awesome! To echo the others above I did allow myself a couple of dice rolls but the rejection still hurt. 

Edited by BrookeSnow

can one drop below 0% confidence? I'm now 100% confident of rejection. The worst thing is, I don't even get to feel 'why did I feel they'd accept me and why did I apply'. I know why I applied and I know what I really want to work on. Just I won't get to work on it. :rolleyes:

Seriously. This is exactly how I feel.

Getting a bad feeling about Berkeley. It was one of a good portion of schools on my list that required the subject test, which was/is a MAJOR weak point of my application. With it being such a prestigious program, I can't think of a reason to take me over someone with my specialization who's also done their Brit lit homework  ;)

Can't believe it's Thursday already. Two more days of anxiety and than a weekend break. Oh boy.

So, yeah. My second round hasn't begun well. I knew by the end of December that my Dec. 1 applications were not my strongest, as I had (fortuitously!) discovered some major sources that allowed me to significantly revise and improve my writing sample in time for applications beginning Dec 4th onward, and input from faculty members around then also allowed me to buff up my SOP. The earliest responses are now in, and--predictably enough--those early apps are a bust. I'm not terribly depressed because of this history, but it's hard to stave off remembrances of last year. I have to believe that the later applications are indeed as good as I was told, and that it won't be another complete shut-out. 

I'm now at a point when I should expect to see some movement from these later apps, and I'm inclined to disappear into a broom closet. 

So, yeah. My second round hasn't begun well. I knew by the end of December that my Dec. 1 applications were not my strongest, as I had (fortuitously!) discovered some major sources that allowed me to significantly revise and improve my writing sample in time for applications beginning Dec 4th onward, and input from faculty members around then also allowed me to buff up my SOP. The earliest responses are now in, and--predictably enough--those early apps are a bust. I'm not terribly depressed because of this history, but it's hard to stave off remembrances of last year. I have to believe that the later applications are indeed as good as I was told, and that it won't be another complete shut-out. 

I'm now at a point when I should expect to see some movement from these later apps, and I'm inclined to disappear into a broom closet. 

x2

Bear in mind that it's still relatively early in the season.  Last year, I didn't hear from ANY schools until, I think, February 20 or so.  Don't assume that silence is necessarily bad - it may just mean that they got more applications than last year and they have to work their way through them yet.

Bear in mind that it's still relatively early in the season.  Last year, I didn't hear from ANY schools until, I think, February 20 or so.  Don't assume that silence is necessarily bad - it may just mean that they got more applications than last year and they have to work their way through them yet.

Right, and this is what is keeping me going at this point. It's definitely quite early, and fully half of my targets do not even respond until late feb. And, as we all know, so much can change in a single day. I purposely aimed high, as I do want to leverage my PhD into a future academic career---not just hang a diploma on a wall, so I'd honestly be over the moon to be admitted to any one of my targets. I guess the early lack of acceptances or waitlists has me listening to "Kind of Blue" a lot, despite knowing that they weren't my best shots. 

x3! While we differ in that this is my first time applying, I feel your pain guys. It's nice to know I'm not the only spaz whose early apps were somewhat sloppy. And of course, those are now the schools I want to attend the most. Classic.