0% Confidence of Acceptance

This thread is sending me into a downward spiraling vortex of despair. I've applied to six schools (which I thought was a lot until I started looking around on here) and have not heard back from a single one. Everyone keeps telling me they're sure I'll get in--which is apparently a guarantee that I won't--and I'm sick to my stomach every time I imagine having to tell them I've been rejected from every school I've applied to. Also, very little hope of getting in based on the fact that my BA--yes I only have a BA and not an MA--well, BA's to be exact, are in Anthropology and Philosophy and I somehow convinced myself that I had a shot of getting into a PhD program in an entirely different field. What was I thinking?!?!

I think the philosophy/anthropology combo is an asset. Interdisciplinarity seems to be really trending now, so if framed in the right way, your interests/background could actually give you a leg up over other, more traditional applicants.

I think the philosophy/anthropology combo is an asset. Interdisciplinarity seems to be really trending now, so if framed in the right way, your interests/background could actually give you a leg up over other, more traditional applicants.

Thank you! That's what my mentor said too. I'm hoping you're both right!

Thank you! That's what my mentor said too. I'm hoping you're both right!

I will third this because I played the interdisciplinary card to death in my apps. Of course, both programs that I have been accepted to have a heavy focus on interdisciplinary scholarship, one by definition (because it's American Studies) and one because it's CUNY Grad Center.

Serious congratulations to all of you who have acceptances! For some odd reason it gives me hope, although logically I realize that the more of you there are getting accepted the less likely it is there will still be a spot for me somewhere. But today I'm feeling a little more positive about this than I was yesterday. As we all seem to know, that may change at any moment, so for now I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

I second Silent_G's comment. I wasn't really stressing out until this week. Today I pop in here, see people getting accepted, congratulate them, and end up feeling better overall. Why does that make me feel better? I have no idea. But if whenever I feel stressed out I can just jump in here, congratulate the latest acceptance winners, and everything will be peachy again, I'll take it :)

Congratulations to everyone getting awesome offers to go to amazing schools!

Just on the aforementioned matter of the GRE - I studied for three weeks straight (7+ hours a day) right before the Literature in English subject test. Took it in October - scored a disappointing 570. Kind of pathetic I thought, but I can live with it given that, barring Shakespeare, I've only ever taken courses in post-1920 literature, drama, and theory.

To anyone considering ever doing the test, I truly cannot emphasise enough the importance of speed. I left more than 60 questions unanswered simply because I didn't work/read fast enough and found that it took me ages going from question paper to answer paper, ensuring I fully shaded in the correct little oval correlating to the correct question number (10 seconds per question wasted on this adds up). When you do your timed Princeton practice test make sure you tear out the answer sheet and practice shading in those stupid ovals as you complete it. I didn't do this; I simply made marks on the question paper, thus scored misleadingly high by completing in deceptively short time.

Eek! Lolo, stop that! I haven't heard anything at all from any of my programs so I can't speak to what it feels like to have one response and a litany of possibilities, but I have complete faith something good is going to happen this season. Everyone else's good news has to be a portent of things to come!

Edited by andsoitgoes161

I'm right there with you. I got my second rejection today.

Keep your chin up.

I know ... This is my second time applying and I got my first rejection for this round yesterday. I'm afraid that it will be another tidal wave of rejections this year and am trying to stay hopeful. Good luck everyone and congratulations to those who already got in.

Thanks Marlowe. They are the 2 schools I thought I had a pretty good chance at based on fit and the size of their cohort. Oh well. Every day that goes by expands my list of schools to apply to next year. I'm up to about 33 schools for the Fall 2013 season.

[and, I'm not going to lie, early decisions play a big role in which schools are making my list :)]

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Thanks Marlowe. They are the 2 schools I thought I had a pretty good chance at based on fit and the size of their cohort. Oh well. Every day that goes by expands my list of schools to apply to next year. I'm up to about 33 schools for the Fall 2013 season.

[and, I'm not going to lie, early decisions play a big role in which schools are making my list :)]

Try not to stress. When I didn't get into KU, I totally thought that meant I wasn't getting in anywhere because I thought they were a great fit for me, and they were one of my lower-ranked schools. But then I got into UCR, which is super awesome and higher ranked than KU, so you never know! Keep hope alive!

Try not to stress. When I didn't get into KU, I totally thought that meant I wasn't getting in anywhere because I thought they were a great fit for me, and they were one of my lower-ranked schools. But then I got into UCR, which is super awesome and higher ranked than KU, so you never know! Keep hope alive!

Off topic, Timshel, but I've never complimented you on your name before. I love East of Eden and every time I look at your screenname, it reminds me of my chances of getting into grad school: Thou mayest!

Off topic, Timshel, but I've never complimented you on your name before. I love East of Eden and every time I look at your screenname, it reminds me of my chances of getting into grad school: Thou mayest!

Awwwww. It's such a freeing concept, isn't it? By the way, you're the first to make the connection to East of Eden. :)