0% Confidence of Acceptance

Not me. I hope none of you people get in -- all yr stipends r belong to me!

TripWillis, I like the cut of your jib.

As for me, if there were also a thread on this board titled "Hell yes, I'm getting into school X because I'm a GENIUS!!!!!!!111!!!1", then I would likely spend my day flip flopping between them every hour, on the hour.

Today was a knockout round, and it ain't half over yet. At one point after my thesis proposal defense meeting I found myself inexplicably in tears and asking my adviser (and director of my MA program) to lie to tell me I was going to get in somewhere.

I ain't proud, y'all.

December 1st deadlines suck, but it does feel good to start sending these things OUT.

Haha as much as I'm glad I now have until the 8th thanks to UT, part of me wishes I could just be done, NOW.

Let's all just keep in mind that, even though most schools get 100s of applications, many get tossed right away. I had a friend who worked at the Harvard Graduate A&S Admissions department, and she said, the fact that Harvard is so well known, they'd get applications from Egypt to Antarctica and many were just all over the place. Particularly all of you posters who know from before that you've made initial cuts and been very close to admissions, you are going to make that initial cut again.

This is my rationalization of the day, anyway. I predict they will become more detailed and more blindly optimistic as my applications go out and Feb / March sloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy aproaches.

Once I've submitted my applications, I'm going out to buy a couple bottles of champagne so that, when (or, more realistically, if) I'm accepted somewhere great, my husband and I can toast my brilliance. And if I'm roundly rejected once more and my pomposity at expecting any different is confirmed? Oh, I'll still drink it. I just won't be sharing.... :rolleyes:

Whachyoo talkin' about Willis?

I know for a fact that a person who may be on one of my ad-comms hates the paper I submitted.

Too late. I hope he's not involved in admissions.

Plus, I have absolutely no backup plan if this doesn't work out, and I'm becoming extremely pessimistic about the entire thing. I actually wish I could withdraw all my apps and get a refund at this point. I need to start figuring out what shitty jobs my M.A. in English can nab me and I need to start a job search now, so that when I graduate in May I can repay my enormous goddamn student loan debt doing something other than waiting tables or begging for change on a street corner.

If only I had a time machine so I could go back and scream at my 18 year old self and tell him, "YOU ARE MAKING AND ARE GOING TO MAKE SO MANY GIGANTIC MISTAKES. STOP IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT GO TO COLLEGE YET."

But, here I am. It's desperation hour. I need some booze. It's only December 1st.

Edited by TripWillis

Boy am I in this thread today. Gee whiz.

I think I'm going to start the job hunt when the fall semester is over. I'm not counting on this PhD thing at all.

I understand where you're coming from--the idea of possibly waiting three whole months with basically my whole life up in the air is scary. Doing things like normal job hunting *almost* makes one feel like one is in control. It wouldn't hurt to put some extra savings in the bank if that PhD lifestyle ends up becoming a a reality~!

You all will make it. Deep breaths and, well, I drank TONS of whiskey in your places. Now that I'm in a Ph.D. program I still drink lots of whiskey, but it is for different reasons now. In my experience this says that whiskey is always the solution ;) Seriously, though, get your apps in, do your best, and then try your best not to dwell on it. It won't make decisions come any sooner.

Based on prior forum posts, I'm quite sure all of you have a much better chance than I will (come next fall). You all seem to be quite intelligent and focused. I, on the other hand, can't write a seminar paper worth shit. Every one thus far this semester has failed miserably in saying anything worth reading. :unsure:

I'm still applying to graduate programs nonetheless, as there aren't many alternatives beyond law school or working a minimum wage job...

Edited by Two Espressos

You all seem to be quite intelligent and focused. I, on the other hand, can't write a seminar paper worth shit. Every one thus far this semester has failed miserably in saying anything worth reading. :unsure:

I am pretty sure that feeling like this is in fact a sign that you are perfect for grad school in the humanities.

I definitely know what everyone is going through, honestly. The only thing I can suggest is just do your best on your applications. That is the only thing you have control of. I did do want others are suggesting and I applied to several job/internship positions in case I didn't get admitted anywhere. That could be something to look into so that you are putting your nervous energy into something productive.