0% Confidence of Acceptance

Hey! I went to UMass Amherst for undergrad and am thinking about applying to a few of the CUNYs. Brooklyn College is not not prestigious. It's best known for its MFA program, definitely, but from what I've heard, their MA program is pretty strong. How has your experience been so far?

CQuin, I am applying to UMass Amherst for the PhD. What did you think of the faculty and program? Any tips or advice?

Hey! I went to UMass Amherst for undergrad and am thinking about applying to a few of the CUNYs. Brooklyn College is not not prestigious. It's best known for its MFA program, definitely, but from what I've heard, their MA program is pretty strong. How has your experience been so far?

UMass: Amherst is great from what I hear! UMass: Boston gets frowned upon by a lot of people. I thought the faculty was good, but the program wasn't very rigorous. Their graduation rate is also very low.

You have heard things (at all) about the MA at Brooklyn College? Huh. I never figured. The MFA program is one of the best in the nation, but I've never heard anyone say anything at all about the MA; we've sent students to Duke, CUNY: Grad Center, Cambridge, and other good programs from here, but only maybe one or two per year.

I mean, the faculty at Brooklyn College is absolutely fantastic, and they're all from Harvard/Yale/NYU/Columbia and can give you insight on how to get into top schools. Also, a few of them teach at CUNY: Graduate Center and can give you some inside pointers on that school. I think as MA programs in English go, you can't do much better for faculty. That being said, it's very mixed, so if you aren't good at motivating yourself and demanding intellectual rigor from your professors, you definitely won't get it. So much of the MA student base is composed of high school teachers trying to get a higher salary that the faculty takes those people for granted as the student base. For my money, I think people are better served by applying to the MALS program at CUNY: Graduate Center. On one hand, I've heard there is no structure, so again, if you're not good at structuring your own time/self-motivating, it may not be for you. On the other hand, you get to take PhD level courses in the English department with some of the leading scholars in the field and CUNY: Graduate Center is a top 20 school.

I also suspect that they have trouble filling the seats for the MA at BC so they just take anyone who applies... but that's just my suspicion...

I would never dream of crapping on state schools; it's a high quality education at a fraction of the price! I'm just being real about my chances against Prince Tonyale of Harvardbridge.

I'm way beyond longshot, I'm a supreme longshot and I like to think I've made my peace with that. The key word in that sentence is "like."

Of course there's always the chance I'll be a great heaping mess when final decisions come and I receive the dreaded, "thank you for your time blah blah blah blah." To be honest I'd rather them just send me an email that had a picture of the admission committee flashing me the universal sign for loser.

Or maybe a nice Lolcat picture. At least there would be cute to satiate my tears.

Long story short, I'm not really hopeful though I will certainly give it my all.

You have heard things (at all) about the MA at Brooklyn College? Huh. I never figured. The MFA program is one of the best in the nation, but I've never heard anyone say anything at all about the MA; we've sent students to Duke, CUNY: Grad Center, Cambridge, and other good programs from here, but only maybe one or two per year.

Well, you are right in pointing out that the MFA program gets most of the attention and praise, but that doesn't mean their MA program is weak! Granted, I live in New York, but I've always heard a lot of talk about the CUNYs and the consensus is that CUNY Grad, Brooklyn, and Hunter are by far the best (for the humanities, that is).

Or maybe a nice Lolcat picture. At least there would be cute to satiate my tears.

Think I could handle that..."You can haz chezeburger, but you no can haz admishuns."

It might just lessen the pain. I deeply, deeply do not want to read the dreaded "we received many strong applications this year, however..."

I've been having dreams where I get into my top choice. I can see myself screaming happily and calling my family/friends and telling them. Very cruel, subconscious, very cruel.

Think I could handle that..."You can haz chezeburger, but you no can haz admishuns."

It might just lessen the pain. I deeply, deeply do not want to read the dreaded "we received many strong applications this year, however..."

I've been having dreams where I get into my top choice. I can see myself screaming happily and calling my family/friends and telling them. Very cruel, subconscious, very cruel.

I completely agree with everything you just said.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having one of these days again.

The wait has just begun, friend. The anxiety only gets worse. I recommend stashing up the wine for February. It's brutal. I'm always having one of these days. It teeters. 1/2 the day I'm great, I'm getting in, this is my year -- and then I remember the 10th rejection last year and am so paralyzed by the fear of it happening again, I don't know what to do with myself.

The wait has just begun, friend. The anxiety only gets worse. I recommend stashing up the wine for February. It's brutal. I'm always having one of these days. It teeters. 1/2 the day I'm great, I'm getting in, this is my year -- and then I remember the 10th rejection last year and am so paralyzed by the fear of it happening again, I don't know what to do with myself.

It's always nice to commiserate, so I'll just let you know that I feel the same. I have little fantasies of getting into my top schools that are abruptly cut off by memories of my rejection letters.

Cigarettes help ease the nerves. As do cupcakes. And yes, wine.

Unfortunately my recommenders were sure I'd get in to my schools last year and I didn't. I know my application is much better this year and that I've gone for a range of schools instead of only top 10ish, but I still wonder what I'll do when, rather than if, I get rejected from them all again. I only applied to three last year and was traumatized--i can really feel for you guys that had the ten or so rejections. Ugh! I also have those wild imaginings of getting into my top school and then getting into the hard to get into college that is for grad students and postdocs and lecturers and imagining having intellectual interdisciplinary conversations during the shared meals in the college by the sea. Then I realize my chances of getting into the university and then the college are slim to none.

I'm really worried that I won't get in anywhere, but two of my LoR writers said they were sure I'd get in somewhere, so Im riding off of that...

All 3 of mine were 100% positive I would get in....and then had a full blown conversation with me about it and how shocked they were when I got rejected across the board when I went to have my thesis signed off on. They meant well, but it was some serious salt in a serious wound.

See, this is what I am worried about it. Everyone is SO sure I'm going to get in. Everyone keeps talking about it. So if I don't get in anywhere this year, which I accept is a REAL possibility, it's going to be even worse to hear how "surprised" everyone is.

My 2 grad professors told me to expect to get rejected from every school I apply to for my PhD. My undergrad profs who are writing some of my LOR expect me to get accepted and have offered to help me in almost every way possible. Currently, I have a grad professor who is supposed to have a letter written for me to be mailed and arrive in DC by Fri who, as of last night, hadn't even started it, and as of today, I haven't even heard from at all. I went to church and talked to my reverend about my applications/situation.

To be honest, of all of the people I've talked to on forums and IRL, the people at gradcafe are some of the nicest, helpful, and caring people out there. I wish we could all get into our top pick schools, even if we are applying to some of the same programs.

But I guess that's like asking for world peace or something...