Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

About MIT: does anyone know if any internatioanls have been accepted so far? I wonder how many internationals does MIT Chemistry usually take each year?

I believe that MIT can only take a few internationals every year (someone I worked with at my lab who applied there said like 2-3) due to funding restrictions :(

I believe that MIT can only take a few internationals every year (someone I worked with at my lab who applied there said like 2-3) due to funding restrictions :(

I guess it's not just MIT but every other schools :(. I don't feel very hopeful now...

Chemistry is one of those subjects where schools highly favor domestic students. I was actually speaking with one of my chem professors/advisors this year about this very issue. He said that the predominating opinion (and I would agree) is that it's hard for any university to justify financing a person (with upwards of $30,000/yr) who's going to take their "quality" American degree and just run back to their home country afterward. It's not to say that every international student would do this, or that any domestic applicant wouldn't, but it's much more likely that a domestic PhD student will enter the US workforce after graduating.

Even so, I wish all of the international applicants the best of luck!

Edited by mcstev13

Isn't there a law/policy about that? Or does that depend on the school? I got this from a grad handbook from JHU:

"The university admits students of any race, color, gender, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital or veteran status to all of the rights, privileges, programs, benefits and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the university. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital or veteran status in any program or activity, including the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other university administered programs or in employment..."

Isn't there a law/policy about that? Or does that depend on the school? I got this from a grad handbook from JHU:

"The university admits students of any race, color, gender, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital or veteran status to all of the rights, privileges, programs, benefits and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the university. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital or veteran status in any program or activity, including the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other university administered programs or in employment..."

This is only saying that the school does not discriminate based on "national or ethnic origin." That is a different issue from citizenship.

Chemistry is one of those subjects where schools highly favor domestic students. I was actually speaking with one of my chem professors/advisors this year about this very issue. He said that the predominating opinion (and I would agree) is that it's hard for any university to justify financing a person (with upwards of $30,000/yr) who's going to take their "quality" American degree and just run back to their home country afterward. It's not to say that every international student would do this, or that any domestic applicant wouldn't, but it's much more likely that a domestic PhD student will enter the US workforce after graduating.

Even so, I wish all of the international applicants the best of luck!

It is logical that the investment should be put on students who will enter to the US workforce after graduation. Still, the universities should be aware that there are differences between students coming from different countries. For example, every year several students go abroad for grad studies from our school, but I do not know any of them (in the group of my friends and acquaintances) who does not want to apply for a work permit and then, a green card upon completion of his/her degree!! I guess this is the case at least for the majority of applicants from the middle east.

who heard from princeton today?

also about the international debate, there are some schools (such as the one that I'm currently attending) that aren't ranked as highly for chemistry but that can take alot more international students because they have different funding sources. In my lab 1/2 the grad students are international.

Edited by twb

I just heard from U Chicago and UNC. So excited!!!

Still crossing my fingers and toes on MIT.....I want this more than anything else!!

Awesome news! about U Chicago, I e-mailed Melinda Moore and she said that decisions will be announced no later than mid-February. I hope I'll also get in. argh. the wait is killing me.

For anyone who applied to Princeton, can you access the status of your application? I'm trying to log in to see if my midyear grades were added and I get this popup window saying "authentication required" and it requests a username and password. I can't seem to get past this popup. It was never there when I accessed my app in December. Anyone else have the same trouble?

mecho,

When you created your account, you chose a username and password. That's what the box is asking for. I suspect that the website just remembers yours username and password for a limited amount of time, so in December you never had to enter it. Now that it's been a little longer, you need to re-enter it.

mecho,

When you created your account, you chose a username and password. That's what the box is asking for. I suspect that the website just remembers yours username and password for a limited amount of time, so in December you never had to enter it. Now that it's been a little longer, you need to re-enter it.

Thanks! Apparently I had the wrong username. It was the only one that was different from all the other schools I applied to. :rolleyes: Ha, grad school application anxiety is getting to my head. Hoping everyone hears good news this week!

Just received an e-mail invitation to interview for Scripps Florida (organic chemistry). Is there a difference in the caliber of Scripps La Jolla (California) vs. Scripps Jupiter (Florida)? I know that the one in Florida is a new campus that opened up in 2009, but I don't know too much about it. Any thoughts?

it's been slower this week for chemistry ppl than I would have thought...

At least slower than I would wish :) there are approximately the same or more results in the database than this time last year though. We'll see it accelerate now that the holidays are over and they've had time to review after coming back from break.

One I am interested in hearing back from soon is UT Austin, I heard they usually have a visitation date in February so you'd think they'd be sending out their first round of acceptances soon... Some others on my list have a history of not making many or any acceptances until later January/February anyway.

Edited by nechalo

Just received an e-mail invitation to interview for Scripps Florida (organic chemistry). Is there a difference in the caliber of Scripps La Jolla (California) vs. Scripps Jupiter (Florida)? I know that the one in Florida is a new campus that opened up in 2009, but I don't know too much about it. Any thoughts?

Not sure what the national perception is, but I'd imagine the Scripps name will still carry a lot of weight. I didn't end up applying, but I really liked the work of Dr. William Roush and Dr. Glenn Micalizio.