Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

I just got an acceptance call from MIT (chemical biology)!

Congrats!!! do you mind sharing your information and who called you? I applied there too, for a similar area and am anxiously waiting :unsure:

Edited by twb

I just got an acceptance call from MIT (chemical biology)!

Congratulations! That's wonderful to hear so early. Did you contact professors and get favorable responses before applying?

Edited by veele

Congrats!!! do you mind sharing your information and who called you? I applied there too, for a similar area and am anxiously waiting :unsure:

Hi twb,

My stats are:

GPA 3.99 (4.0 major)

GRE 700V/780Q, Chem GRE 850

3 years research experience in same lab

2 poster presentations

1 publication (JACS, 2nd author)

TA experience

Other chemistry-related extracurriculars

What a great way to start the New Year! Good luck to all other applicants!

Congratulations! That's wonderful to hear so early. Did you contact professors and get favorable responses before applying?

I definitely didn't contact any of the professors before applying. I received the call from Professor Nolan, whose research ties well with my personal statement. It sounds like acceptance notifications have only gone out to a few bio/bio-inorganic people thus far. I'm sure that there'll be a wave of new acceptances in January.

Hi twb,

My stats are:

GPA 3.99 (4.0 major)

GRE 700V/780Q, Chem GRE 850

3 years research experience in same lab

2 poster presentations

1 publication (JACS, 2nd author)

TA experience

Other chemistry-related extracurriculars

What a great way to start the New Year! Good luck to all other applicants!

I definitely didn't contact any of the professors before applying. I received the call from Professor Nolan, whose research ties well with my personal statement. It sounds like acceptance notifications have only gone out to a few bio/bio-inorganic people thus far. I'm sure that there'll be a wave of new acceptances in January.

I think it's not too surprising given your stats and research experience, especially if your research fits perfectly with a faculty member. Congratulations again! Indeed a wonderful news at this time of the year. Happy new year!

Someone else has been admitted into MIT yesterday! Do they mind sharing their stats here?! :)

I know a person who was admitted to MIT yesterday except I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same person.

Someone else has been admitted into MIT yesterday! Do they mind sharing their stats here?! :)

Hey,

I'm the one who got admitted to MIT on the 31st. (So excited!) It was actually the 30th in America, but because I'm living abroad right now, the time zones are a bit weird. So my stats:

GPA: 4.0

GRE: V740 (99%ile), Q800 (94%ile), A4.5 (72%ile),

Chem GRE: N/A

1 semester and 1 summer research in 2 different labs

1 year studying chemistry (exclusively) at Oxford

Tutoring and Teaching Experience

Good luck to everyone who applied! The only problem with hearing from them so early is that this will make the wait to hear from my other schools feel much longer. And SpenzK, I agree, it was the absolute best way to start the new year!

Congratulations to Nitroglycerin - that's awesome that you got into MIT! Are you interested in inorganic/bioinorganic? Also Pnictides is the person that you kinow interested in inorganic/bioinorganic? It seemed like the other people here who were accepted to MIT were in that area, so I'm wondering if those people are the only ones who are hearing back.

twb,

Yeah, I'm inorganic, so it's quite possible us inorganically inclined chemists are the only ones who have been evaluated/notified. It's also still really early in the admissions season: the MIT website says we are supposed to get responses in mid-February. Given that, I would try not to be concerned if you haven't heard anything yet.

Congratulations to Nitroglycerin - that's awesome that you got into MIT! Are you interested in inorganic/bioinorganic? Also Pnictides is the person that you kinow interested in inorganic/bioinorganic? It seemed like the other people here who were accepted to MIT were in that area, so I'm wondering if those people are the only ones who are hearing back.

He is inorganic. Strangely enough, is MIT one of those schools that overrides your low GPA (3.03 / 4.00) if you have 170 on GRE Math and 950 on Chem GRE? Those were my friend's statistics. I thought it was kinda weird since Nitroglycerin didn't take the Chem GRE, so I'm guessing Chem GRE isn't even required, yet the Chem GRE seems to be the deciding factor in my friend's admission.

Edited by Pnictides

Somebody (an International Student) has just posted his acceptance into UIUC Chemistry for 5th Jan,2012

Is it no too early ? like it is 5:43 AM in Illinois right now? Are they sending mails this early in the morning ? :P

@guy who just got accepted

Please post your stats for everyone to see

Somebody (an International Student) has just posted his acceptance into UIUC Chemistry for 5th Jan,2012

Is it no too early ? like it is 5:43 AM in Illinois right now? Are they sending mails this early in the morning ? :P

@guy who just got accepted

Please post your stats for everyone to see

You mean my friend's statistics or the UIUC guy?

My friend also got accepted to UCB today. Also why didn't you apply to Harvard? Does anyone know how to search a person's post and have it show up as individual posts instead of threads?

I don't think that you can search for individual posts within a thread, but maybe I'm wrong? Does anyone else have insight?

I'm really interested in metalloenzyme biochemistry. Harvard's program is incredible, but they don't really have people in that area. Besides, if I'm really itching to see Harvard, I can just walk over there from MIT ;)

For those of you that have received invites from Scripps, would you mind letting us know when you submitted your application? It says on their website that they are reviewed in the order they are received, so knowing when you submitted would give a good reference point for the rest of us.

Thanks!