Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Hello all

International applicant ( India) here .... Applying to UT-Austin, Carnegie Mellon, Notre Dame and probably Boston Univ too .......

Area of interest is Theoretical Chemistry

Stats: GPA 8.87/10.0 , GRE 660/750/3.0 , fair amount of research exp. although no publication ....Sub GRE score yet to receive (exam was on 12Nov)

Good luck to all ....

anybody else apping in Theo. Chem ??

This could be a really exciting month. Looking through past records, it seems that some schools (including Scripps and Stanford) have made some acceptances in mid to late December.

Edited by mcstev13

Hey, just being curious, what's your undergraduate institution in India? I'm also from India and applying to CMU but in organic chemistry. Rest of the list is different from yours. Btw, I'm from IT-BHU.

I did my M.Sc(2yrs ) frm IIT Guwahati ...

Hi everyone,

International applicant from Pakistan. I am applying in a couple of top schools, and a couple of schools ranked from 10-50.

Stats are CGPA 3.38/4.0, SCGPA 3.79/4.0, GRE 160/162/4.0, GRE Chem result is not yet available. I have 1+ years of experience in a nanotech lab, but no publication as yet.

I am applying in Scripps, MIT, Princeton, CMU, U-Mass, UIUC, and a couple of safety school.

My area of interest is Materials Chemistry, and Nanotechnology. I hope I get in a couple of them. Can any one tell me what are my chances.

Good luck to all!!!

Can any one tell me what are my chances.

Good luck to all!!!

Obviously I'm no expert and I haven't been through the grad admissions process before, but I've heard it is harder for international students to get it in general than domestic students. Scripps, MIT, Princeton and UI in particular are considered to be very good programs, and therefore are hard to get into. For example, on Princeton's website they say most people that they admit have GPAs >3.5, a math score>700, verbal>600 and writing 4.5 or greater. I know that some of the other top programs (harvard, stanford, berkeley) have averages of about 780 (~88%) for math, 640 (~90%) for verbal, greater than 4.5 for writing and average GPAs of 3.75 or greater for accepted students, so if Scripps, MIT and Princeton are similar to these then your stats might hurt you a bit but they're not too far off. However, the good news is that I've also heard that your letters and you personal statement are the most important factors, so it's hard to say what your chances are without knowing how your letters or personal statement will be perceived.

Hope that helps!

First admit of the season! (I checked and this seems legit, haha) University of Florida, TA, $22,000. I submitted my application on December 1 and the LORs were just completed yesterday. They really do what they say in the website: "Decisions are made as rapidly as possible."

Nice! that is very early. My last LOR writer is apparently writing a masterpiece so I'm not even quite done with applications.

I'm looking forward to hearing about visitation weekends... I think it'll be very important to me to visit and talk to POI in person.

First admit of the season! (I checked and this seems legit, haha) University of Florida, TA, $22,000. I submitted my application on December 1 and the LORs were just completed yesterday. They really do what they say in the website: "Decisions are made as rapidly as possible."

Congrats! That's the earliest one can think of. Would you mind sharing your stats (GPA. GRE, publications, research experience, LOR from whom) ?

Nice! that is very early. My last LOR writer is apparently writing a masterpiece so I'm not even quite done with applications.

I'm looking forward to hearing about visitation weekends... I think it'll be very important to me to visit and talk to POI in person.

Mine too! UF was my only school with complete letters, and luckily they responded early.

Congrats! That's the earliest one can think of. Would you mind sharing your stats (GPA. GRE, publications, research experience, LOR from whom) ?

I'm an international student.

GPA: 3.75

GRE Q160/V157/W4

GRE Subject Test: 840

No publications yet, I've been teaching chem lab in my school, research experience in a biochem lab.

That's incredible! Congratulations! I can't believe decisions are already coming out.

congrats .......unbelievable ..... admission decision at early december .......

Congratulations that's awesome!

mcstev13 do you mind posting your stats?

I'd rather not share all my GRE scores, but my GPA is 3.87. I have 5 years of research experience, both in industry and academia, and including two international REUs in Germany. No publications.

I just got my first admittance: University of Illinois UC. I'm very surprised that any decisions were made this early, but I'm very happy to know that I've been accepted by at least one school! :)

Nice! yeah, like you I'm just happy to know I'm going somewhere next year. :)

I am an international applicant, applying for PhD in Organic/Bio-organic Chem. My stats:

B.Sc. in Chemistry

GPA: 18.5 /20.0 (on the 4.00 scale: 3.96) -- ranked 1st in my class

GRE Chemistry: 920 (98th percentile rank)

GRE General: Verbal 157, Quantitative 166, A/W: 4.0

TOEFL iBT: 107 /120

Strong LORs

No Papers

How do you think about my chances? I am applying to MIT, Michigan Ann Arbor, GTech, and UC Irvine.

I am an international applicant, applying for PhD in Organic/Bio-organic Chem. My stats: B.Sc. in Chemistry GPA: 18.5 /20.0 (on the 4.00 scale: 3.96) -- ranked 1st in my class GRE Chemistry: 920 (98th percentile rank) GRE General: Verbal 157, Quantitative 166, A/W: 4.0 TOEFL iBT: 107 /120 Strong LORs No Papers How do you think about my chances? I am applying to MIT, Michigan Ann Arbor, GTech, and UC Irvine.

I think your chances of getting into MIT and all other that you are applying in are very strong. Considering you exceptional GPA and GRE Chemistry.

Best of Luck!

I am an international applicant, applying for PhD in Organic/Bio-organic Chem. My stats: B.Sc. in Chemistry GPA: 18.5 /20.0 (on the 4.00 scale: 3.96) -- ranked 1st in my class GRE Chemistry: 920 (98th percentile rank) GRE General: Verbal 157, Quantitative 166, A/W: 4.0 TOEFL iBT: 107 /120 Strong LORs No Papers How do you think about my chances? I am applying to MIT, Michigan Ann Arbor, GTech, and UC Irvine.

BTW, I'd like to ask when did you take your GRE. In october or in November?

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on a problem I really wish I wasn't having right now. My profile for applications (fall 2012) looks like this:

at a top 25 public university

GPA: 3.8/4.0

GPA (chem): 3.9/4.0

GRE (gen): V: 152 (56%), Q: 160 *84%), AW: 4.5 (76%)

Research experience since end of sophomore year, along with REU at Colorado State

The problem: I just got back my Chem GRE scores by calling ETS, and they are FAR below what I would like (<40%)

Obviously by my GPA you can see that this is not my normal performance. I did not have the time I would have liked to prepare for this test and had other circumstances preventing me from doing well on test day.

My question is whether I should try to address this in my SoP (with out making excuses, somehow) or just leave it out. And also is there a way to stop the ETS from sending it to school who do not request it? I was applying to Yale, Princeton, and Columbia who all at least RECOMMEND it, so I just threw it on my non-stretch schools that I was already sending my general scores to as well (Colorado State, NC State, Vanderbilt).

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on a problem I really wish I wasn't having right now. My profile for applications (fall 2012) looks like this:

at a top 25 public university

GPA: 3.8/4.0

GPA (chem): 3.9/4.0

GRE (gen): V: 152 (56%), Q: 160 *84%), AW: 4.5 (76%)

Research experience since end of sophomore year, along with REU at Colorado State

The problem: I just got back my Chem GRE scores by calling ETS, and they are FAR below what I would like (<40%)

Obviously by my GPA you can see that this is not my normal performance. I did not have the time I would have liked to prepare for this test and had other circumstances preventing me from doing well on test day.

My question is whether I should try to address this in my SoP (with out making excuses, somehow) or just leave it out. And also is there a way to stop the ETS from sending it to school who do not request it? I was applying to Yale, Princeton, and Columbia who all at least RECOMMEND it, so I just threw it on my non-stretch schools that I was already sending my general scores to as well (Colorado State, NC State, Vanderbilt).

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated

I've heard, direct from professors, that it's best not to call attention to poor performance on the GRE unless there's a specific place in the application to address the issue. The SOP should focus on your strengths and experience.